Amtrak Passenger Found Dead in GA

Malini2001

I'm controlled by the cats
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/10/georgia.passenger.death/index.html?hpt=Sbin

"The Artetas were returning to Florida after seeing a newborn grandchild, according to WFTV. They were aboard the popular Amtrak Auto Train, which carries vehicles and passengers, and planned to drive home once they arrived in Sanford, Florida.............................

Barbara Arteta's body was spotted by the crew of a CSX train near Jesup around 3:20 p.m. Thursday, the agent said.

Gene Arteta told WFTV that about $1,000 was missing from his wife's purse. McDaniel confirmed the purse was found, but would not comment on its location or contents."

This story is a bit odd. They are calling the death suspicious. It could have been an accident, although I don't think anyone could accidentally fall from the connecting passage of the train. But someone could probably force a person out of the narrow opening on the connectors.

If there was a large sum of money in her purse, did anyone on the train know that? They haven't published the cause of death yet. Would hate to think that the husband did this.

Those were my thoughts as well, Malini2001. I first suspected dear ole hubby may not be telling the truth and then felt terrible about it! Also, 1000 is a lot of money to have in cash, so it may be some other passenger taking advantage of an elderly sick woman. I too don't think it would be accidentally falling off. I've never been on an Amtrak train, but, they don't have areas to just stand on correct? I mean, isn't everything pretty much secure inside the train where this woman would have been?

How awful.

I've never been on the auto train, but travelled Amtrak more than I wanted to between Philadelphia and Virginia. One of my worse nightmares was my DD would get lost on that train if Lord forbid I let her go to the bathroom alone.

Also, I smoke. There's a few stops such as Washington where the stop is a few minutes. I wouldn't get off to smoke unless I took my DD with me and that meant I didn't because why drag her outside the train?

You can go between cars to the food car. Again I am not sure about the auto trian, but that is terrible.

Prayers going up for Ms. Arteta.

Those were my thoughts as well, Malini2001. I first suspected dear ole hubby may not be telling the truth and then felt terrible about it! Also, 1000 is a lot of money to have in cash, so it may be some other passenger taking advantage of an elderly sick woman. I too don't think it would be accidentally falling off. I've never been on an Amtrak train, but, they don't have areas to just stand on correct? I mean, isn't everything pretty much secure inside the train where this woman would have been?

I've been on the auto train and it's pretty much like other passenger trains. The autos are on the last cars in the train. You can go between the cars - in fact you have to in order to get to the dining car. The cars are hooked together but the platform in between can be kind of rocky, and there are accordian type doors on the sides that are pulled closed so you can't fall to the outside of the train. But I can't think why this woman would exit the car during the night. Somebody may be able to open those side partitions but it doesn't seem like something an ill, elderly woman would do.

There are 2 levels of passenger seats and if you were on the top level you have to go down to the bottom level to find a rest room, but you usually stay in the same car and that stair is inside the car. That would be the only place I think she might be going during that hour of the night. The cars are darkened - like an airplane at night - but there is enough lighting so you can see where you are going.

Authorities are looking for fellow travelers. Windows and doors could be opened without sounding an alarm, but nobody seems to think Mrs. Arteta could do it on her own.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-12/news/os-amtrak-auto-train-barbara-arteta-20100911_1_auto-train-amtrak-engineer-passengers

picture included at this link:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/officials-call-amtrak-passengers-death-suspicious-ex-employee-909736.html

Her son is interviewed for this article, his mother was traveling with his step-father. I wonder how long the Artetas had been married? An interesting comment at the end of this article, sounds like Mr. Arteta mentioned drunken teenagers in an earlier account. I haven't found that.
http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2010/september/150072/Agents-search-for-clues-in-Amtrak-passengers-death

I would find it unusual that she left her shoes at her seat if she was going to the bathroom. I traveled from CA to CO and slept on two seats, but wouldn't have gone down stairs barefoot. Poor lady, as she probably was not strong enough to defend herself!

In one article it says that the purse was missing $1000 cash and in another, it says the purse was missing altogether. Which one is it? I wonder if they searched the train thoroughly?

I also find it odd that her shoes were left at her seat. And that noone heard anything? I'd be interested to hear from other passengers on the train for sure!

So sad for Mrs. Arteta....she looked like such a tiny woman. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p