Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 185DMGA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/185dmga.html

Daniel Alan Birchfield
Missing since September 20, 1991 from Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: 1961
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair.
•AKA: Danny

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Danny Birchfield disappeared in 1991. He was last seen leaving his Stoneybrook Drive home with two other men.
He left behind his wallet. At the time of his disappearance, he was caring for his roommate's elderly mother, who died two weeks later.
Family members say they believe the terminally ill man might have left town to spare his family the pain of watching him grow weaker and die. But they said it was uncharacteristic of him to vanish without contacting his family. Two years later, his family reported him missing.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Richmond County Sheriff's Office
Criminal Investigation Division
706-821-1020
Email Form

Source Information:
The Augusta Chronicle
Richmond County Sheriff’s Office

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/birchfield_daniel.html
Danny was reported missing 2 years after he disappeared.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/508/0/
NamUs profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: NA
Fingerprints: NA

No archived articles at this time.

Danny has been missing almost 19 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• Daniel Alan Birchfield.bmp
    47.5 KB · Views: 26
I knew the Birchfields. We lived in the same neighborhood, went to the same schools and played softball. Danny was 4 years older than me and I always thought
his sister was so beautiful.

Danny's mum Ann passed on Dec. 2007. She was a neat lady, she sang opera and could use a sledgehammer with no problem. (not on people)
I had the opportunity to work with her for 2 years, 2005-2007.

Godspeed Ann and Danny. I'm sure y'all are together again.

185DMGA - Daniel Alan Birchfield

Bumping up case. But if it's true his dentals/DNA aren't on file, I don't know how he could be compared to anyone who has been found.
Maybe family submitted DNA, though, or maybe they don't expect closure at this point...

1666318784521.png
Oct 20 2022 rbbm snippets of lengthy article.
by: Renetta DuBose
''AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) – A veteran, father and brother walked out of his South Augusta home back in 1991, never to return again. Now, the family wants the public to hear his story in hopes of getting more answers about that day. ''

''Danny’s brothers Randy and Dino told us he married young. He had his son Joey in 1982 while the family lived in Maine at Loring Air Force Base. Danny relocated back to Augusta and divorced. He soon fell in love with another man.''

''The family added that Danny and his partner also worked together at Maneline Hair Studio. Back then the business was on Wrightsboro Road, near Christenberry Fieldhouse. ''

''But between BINGO calls, Dino knew something was wrong with his brother, like he was hiding something. When he questioned him about what was troubling him, Danny revealed shocking information.

“He said if I ever got real sick, I would just go off and whatever happens, happens. I wouldn’t put none of y’all through anything.”

''Family members told us a little bit more about the day Danny Birchfield left his Stoney Brook Drive home in Pepperidge. They said he was at home washing dishes and a car pulled up in the yard. He walked outside and leaned into that car and spoke with three individuals before getting into that car and leaving. He was never seen again. Birchfield was wearing cut off jean shorts. No shirt. No shoes.''

''Some time in the 90s, Dino said he remembers their mother calling a national psychic hotline. She spoke with the late Sylvia Browne back then who hinted where Danny might be located.

“He disappeared within a mile from the house that he was at,” Dino repeated what the psychic told his mother. “That he is buried in a shallow grave near railroad tracks.”

“He didn’t just go off and die on his own,” Dino said. “I believe there’s foul play involved.”

Randy added, “My mom passed away so she will never know what happened to him. She did ask me, her last words were, find out what happened to your brother so hopefully we can get some kind of justice done.”

Daniel Alan Birchfield​

• daniel_alan_birchfield_1.jpg
  • birchfield_daniel2.jpg
Birchfield, circa 1991
  • Missing Since 09/20/1991
  • Missing From Augusta, Georgia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 32 years old
  • Height and Weight Unknown
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Cut-off denim shorts and no shirt or shoes.
  • Medical Conditions Birchfield has been diagnosed with an unspecified terminal illness.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair. Birchfield had a mustache at the time of his 1991 disappearance. His nickname is Danny.

Details of Disappearance​

Birchfield was last seen leaving his residence on Stoney Brook Road in Augusta, Georgia on September 20, 1991. He had been at home washing dishes when a car pulled up, with three people inside. Birchfield walked outside, spoke to them, and got in the car, and it drove off. He has never been heard from again. He left his wallet behind, inside his home.
Birchfield was caring for his partner's elderly mother at the time of his disappearance. She died two weeks later. His family has said it is very uncharacteristic of him to vanish and not attempt to contact loved ones. A relative reported Birchfield as a missing person in 1993, two years after he was last seen.
Prior to his disappearance, Birchfield served in the U.S. Air Force, married, and had a son in 1982. After his divorce he fell in love with a man and they lived together. Both he and his partner worked at the Maneline Hair Studio and seemed happy. He was also close to his family, particularly his brother.
Authorities believe it's possible Birchfield disappeared on purpose to prevent his family from having to watch him die as a result of his terminal illness. Less than a year before he went missing, he told his brother that if he ever became extremely ill, he would leave rather than put his family through the ordeal of having to care for him.
However, because he was so close to his family, they do not believe he would have left of his own accord regardless of what he had stated earlier. Birchfield's family believes he may have been murdered, and they have a possible suspect in mind, someone who is already serving a life sentence for an unrelated offense. This person has not been publicly named.
The circumstances of Birchfield's disappearance are unclear. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Pichmond County Sheriff's Department 706-592-5001

Source Information​

Daniel's NamUs profile hasn't been modified since 2019,
He currently has 11 rule outs
UP6637
10/07/2006
Fairfax
VA

UP6305
07/30/2002
Prince William
VA

UP9805
11/26/2011
Lee
VA
UP6638
04/06/2006
Fairfax
VA

UP6303
01/26/1997
Warren
VA

UP5532
04/07/1992
Newport News
VA

UP5239
01/01/2008
Lynchburg
VA

UP2667
08/18/2008
Dinwiddie
VA

UP787
02/09/2002
Richmond
VA

UP6762
10/08/1995
Richmond
VA

UP2550
10/27/1991
San Bernardino
CA

I'm wondering if the undisclosed illness was HIV/AIDS.

In the 1990s, treatment for HIV/AIDS was nowhere near as accessible, affordable, or effective as it is today. Without treatment, an infected person may have contracted Kaposi sarcoma and displayed very visible lesions on the skin (cf. the 1993 movie Philadelphia).

If Daniel had contracted HIV/AIDS, maybe he just didn't want his family to see him like this. He may have already felt ashamed and stigmatized for having the disease. Having others know and literally see it on his body may have been too much for him.

In the 1990s, treatment for HIV/AIDS was nowhere near as accessible, affordable, or effective as it is today. Without treatment, an infected person may have contracted Kaposi sarcoma and displayed very visible lesions on the skin (cf. the 1993 movie Philadelphia).

If Daniel had contracted HIV/AIDS, maybe he just didn't want his family to see him like this. He may have already felt ashamed and stigmatized for having the disease. Having others know and literally see it on his body may have been too much for him.
I was wondering the same thing. What a sad story. I hope his family one day has answers.

As you say, it is most likely... in the 90s, HIV was very up to date and many people sometimes suffered from it, not even for being homosexual or promiscuous behavior due to blood transfusions, people were infected... apart from not having a cure no treatment the well known AZT was not that easy to obtain apart from the stigma of being ill...it may be i was end stage AIDS as i had said i didn't want to be a burden to anyone i can understand that...it's almost certain that Died due to complications from HIV

From NamUs BBM

Birchfield was last seen leaving his residence on Stoneybrook Drive in Richmond County, Georgia on September 20, 1991. He was accompanied by two unidentified men at the time. Birchfield has never been heard from again. He left his wallet behind, inside his home.
Birchfield was caring for his roommate's elderly mother at the time of his disappearance. She died two weeks later. His family has said it is very uncharacteristic of him to vanish and not attempt to contact loved ones. Authorities believe it is possible Birchfield disappeared to prevent his family from having to watch him die as a result of his terminal illness. A relative reported Birchfield as a missing person in 1993, two years after he was last seen.

This makes it sound like he was definitely terminally ill. Is that true, or is it just worded weirdly?

From NamUs BBM

Birchfield was last seen leaving his residence on Stoneybrook Drive in Richmond County, Georgia on September 20, 1991. He was accompanied by two unidentified men at the time. Birchfield has never been heard from again. He left his wallet behind, inside his home.
Birchfield was caring for his roommate's elderly mother at the time of his disappearance. She died two weeks later. His family has said it is very uncharacteristic of him to vanish and not attempt to contact loved ones. Authorities believe it is possible Birchfield disappeared to prevent his family from having to watch him die as a result of his terminal illness. A relative reported Birchfield as a missing person in 1993, two years after he was last seen.

This makes it sound like he was definitely terminally ill. Is that true, or is it just worded weirdly?
The Doe Network page more plainly states he was terminally ill.
I have my suspicions, based on other articles mentioning his divorce and relationship with another man. that he could be a victim of the AIDS crisis and made a decision to leave on his terms rather than waste away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back