DE DE - Justin Trnka, 19, Newark, 17 March 2009

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jtrnka...
Justin Trnka
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This may not be the right place...
My 19 year old son, Justin Trnka, was murdered on March 17th 2009. He was found with a single gunshot to the face in a car behind a store off of Rt 72 in Newark Delaware. There has been three different State Police Detectives working the case, the first two told me they had a very strong suspect in the case. It has since run cold.

I am posting here as I am looking for suggestions in sparking some attention for this case. I need some closure. I feel like the State Police and the AG's office have given up on solving this, I know there is no statute of limitation on a murder case, but at this point pro-active they are not.

Thanks in advance.
JT

Police ID man dead in car
NEWARK, Del. - Delaware State Police have identified a man found slumped over the wheel of a car in a Newark area shopping center parking lot.
Police say 19-year-old Justin Trnka of Newark died Tuesday night after he was shot in the upper body.
More...

Welcome to Websleuths jtrnka. I'm so sorry its under these circumstances.

We have a great group here, hopefully they can give you some ideas to help you get answers about your son. I did find the one article about your son, do you have any additional links about the case?

Ima

Did you have any suspicions on who the suspect is, that the state police were looking at? I am so sorry you have had to go through this and I hope this will be solved soon!

There have been three different lead detectives from the DE State Police on his case. The first two told me they had a very strong suspect, the third is new to the homicide department and has rehashed some phone records and has submitted additional DNA samples for testing. Our AG's office in Delaware is run by Beau Biden, the VP's son. There has been several dropped murder charges and cases in the news in the last two years, so I am under the impression they do not go out on the edge when it comes to charging suspects. The last time I met with the AG's office I felt like I had been chewed out for asking about the case. There are no "known" witnesses, My son was lured to the back of a major shopping center and shot.

I would like to first just send you ((((hugs)))) from one mother to another. I have a 19 year old son and I can only imagine. I am SO sorry, I know it must be heart breaking to lose him. Then to add to the pain not knowing why or who. I guess if it was my son (who still lives at home) I would be asking lots of questions to his friends, girlfriend. Someone has to know why he was there. Someone had to hear a gun shot. I would also be writing down everything I learn and keeping a note book. You said he was lured to the area, what would lure him there? Do you think drugs were involved? I know my son is no saint and as much as I preach no drugs, I know he has used them. I don't know the area around the BJ's, is there other business that could have video of cars coming and going down the street at that time? I would ask the police if they asked and did they get tapes. If his cell phone was on your plan I would be requesting records myself, just to have them. Who's car was he in? I would also keep calling the police, if they give you a hard time let them know you are not stopping till you get results. Others who have been here much longer can give more advice then I have. One last thing, I know this must be so hard on you, please take care of yourself and talk to someone about your grief. Again I am so sorry and I will keep you in my prayers. Julie

He was found just before 10:00 Tuesday night in the rear parking area of the BJ's Wholesale store at 10 Pencader Plaza on Route 72 in Newark.

The motor of the Chevrolet Cavalier he was in was still running.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/take_action&id=6715702

(Motor still running tells me Justin wasn't planning on sticking around long.)

http://privateofficernews.wordpress...r-finds-homicide-victim-wwwprivateofficercom/

(From the picture at link, the area the car was found in, was close to the building and there appears to be lots of lighting)

I just stumbled on this case. So sad. And no activity/posts since 2010, except for the cold cases link a few days ago. I cant get to the previous links provided. Will look around elsewhere for info.

Cold case cracked, Newark man charged with murder

A Newark man is being charged with murder in a 14-year-old cold case.

Ricardo J. Vega, 31, is accused of killing Justin Trnka, also of Newark, during an armed robbery in March of 2009.

The 19-year-old was found shot to death in his car behind a Newark-area shopping center.

Vega was indicted on April 24th and arrested by State Police two days later.

"I am grateful to our prosecutors and the Delaware State Police for their dogged persistence in this investigation,” said Attorney General Kathy Jennings. “After all these years, the victim and his family deserve justice. I know how challenging these cases are, and it’s a testament to the skill and professionalism of the Delaware State Police that we could crack this case after 14 years and bring it before a grand jury.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back