Sheriff refocuses Kyron investigation: a smaller task force will take over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufnstuf

"Yes, she's emotionally disturbed. She's unbalance
Reaction score
Sheriff refocuses Kyron investigation
A task force will take over the agency’s four-month probe

The sprawling investigation into the June 4 disappearance of then 7-year-old Kyron Horman is being reorganized into a smaller task force, according to Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton.

Staton told the Portland Business Alliance Wednesday morning in downtown Portland that he was confident the case would be solved, but said the time had come to narrow the team of investigators to a small group of officials from a number of law enforcement agencies.

“This case is farther along than most people realize,” Staton told alliance members.

MORE:

Page 2 of the article, another tidbit that leaves me wondering:

Staton said the investigation has so far produced a large stack of six-inch binders full of information on the case. He suggested that a number of other cases were likely to result from the investigation, but did not elaborate on them.

From the link:

Despite more than 4,000 tips that have come into investigators, Schrunk said there is still no “smoking gun” that proves what happened to the missing boy.

“It is not a slam-dunk case,” Schrunk said.

This is way different from what we've heard from his parents.

From the link:

This is way different from what we've heard from his parents.

Investigators have been saying that for awhile. I don't know that Desiree and Kaine have said that it's slam-dunk. They believe they know who did this to Kyron. But the judicial system requires a different level of proof, and Desiree and Kaine have both said that LE is doing a great job, and that they'd rather investigators take their time and have a case that will hold up in court.

Part 2 of the KATU video...they discuss this. I'll see if I can find the link. It's a very revealing interview with D and K, in my opinion.

ETA: OK... here's the KATU video in which Kaine and Desiree discuss the investigation. Most recent interview that I know of, of the two, with investigation discussion:

http://www.katu.com/home/video/101702718.html

That vid is a must watch for anyone following this case.

The part about making plans for the next four months of the investigation is what stuck out to me...

Investigators have been saying that for awhile. I don't know that Desiree and Kaine have said that it's slam-dunk. They believe they know who did this to Kyron. But the judicial system requires a different level of proof, and Desiree and Kaine have both said that LE is doing a great job, and that they'd rather investigators take their time and have a case that will hold up in court.

Part 2 of the KATU video...they discuss this. I'll see if I can find the link. It's a very revealing interview with D and K, in my opinion.

ETA: OK... here's the KATU video in which Kaine and Desiree discuss the investigation. Most recent interview that I know of, of the two, with investigation discussion:

That vid is a must watch for anyone following this case.
I can't listen to it!:( Sorry to be a pain, but do you know if there is a transcript anywhere?

Oh no, this sounds frighteningly like "we know who did it but won't be able to prove it" to me.

Another four months? Man, this case is dragging...I wonder how Terri felt when she heard that. Another four months confined to her home, no cellphone or computer.

This case just needs one huge break...I almost feel like it's near, right there, but just not discovered yet...so sad for DY and KH. They must feel awful. Another four months goes past Christmas...

Sadly, I think it's "We don't have the boy, so we can't say what happened to him" sort of thing. Poor Kyron...give us some sort of sign! Help us bring you home!

Oh no, this sounds frighteningly like "we know who did it but won't be able to prove it" to me.

on the other hand, it sounds like they are onto some sort of ring or conspiracy or something like that. A *task force* with a number of law enforcment agencies involved. Sounds like they know what they are dealing with and who is likely involved. And if it *is* some kind of ring, and the LE agencies involved are the kind that investigate human trafficking or other such, maybe Kyron is more likely to be found alive. Maybe that's where KH and DY are coming from. In that case, even if they can't pin the crime on a specific person, they can at least FIND him. jmoo

In any case, this development struck me as very significant. I hope I'm right :::fingers crossed:::

Page 2 of the article, another tidbit that leaves me wondering:

Staton said the investigation has so far produced a large stack of six-inch binders full of information on the case. He suggested that a number of other cases were likely to result from the investigation, but did not elaborate on them.
My imagination is going wild to come up with what these "other cases" might be about. I'm not even sure how they count cases. If two people do the same illegal thing, I would think he'd call that two cases, and we'd be talking about three or more cases, then.

My imagination is going wild to come up with what these "other cases" might be about. I'm not even sure how they count cases. If two people do the same illegal thing, I would think he'd call that two cases, and we'd be talking about three or more cases, then.

One thing that occurred to me is *other cases* involving *other children*. jmoo

Yeah... questions that ran through my mind:

A number of other cases involving other suspects?

A number of other cases involving a single suspect?

A number of other cases involving tangential characters?

Too cryptic to decipher, not enough info. I'd love to know, though!

With all the different agencies involved initially in this case, that doesn't surprise me that they have 'other cases' they're working on, as well.

I've never worked out why the Secret Service would have been involved. Aren't they matters of national security?

One thing that occurred to me is *other cases* involveing *other children*. jmoo

yikes...
Please don't let it be that, please don't let it be that, please don't let it be that... :prayer:

With all the different agencies involved initially in this case, that doesn't surprise me that they have 'other cases' they're working on, as well.

I've never worked out why the Secret Service would have been involved. Aren't they matters of national security?

I found this:

snip~

As part of the 1994 Crime Bill, Congress mandated the U.S. Secret Service to provide forensic/technical assistance in matters involving missing and exploited children. The Secret Service offers this assistance to federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. On April 30, 2003, President George W. Bush signed the PROTECT Act of 2003, known as the "Amber Alert Bill", which gave full authorization to the U.S. Secret Service in this area.

http://www.secretservice.gov/partner_ncmec.shtml

The Secret Service is also involved in the investigation of counterfeiting, and according to Wikipedia, "crimes that involve financial institution fraud, computer and telecommunications fraud, false identification documents, access device fraud, advance fee fraud, electronic funds transfers and money laundering".

None of these would seem to have much to do with the Horman case, so perhaps the other people who have been investigated have been involved with some of these financial crimes. Very odd...

The part about making plans for the next four months of the investigation is what stuck out to me...

Same here. On the down side, this suggests that there won't be a quick resolution, and Kyron is not likely to be returning home any time soon. On the up side, the case hasn't gone cold, and the investigation will continue until there is a resolution. jmo

Or they could have stumbled across drug cases, or firearms cases, or prostitution cases, or another kind of case during their investigation. They already stumbled across a murder for hire case in their investigation.

The "other cases" makes it sound as if they do not relate to Kyron. So I wouldn't expect them to be other children either. It doesn't sound like it's another branch of the same tree...but another tree altogether. I would think it would be other crimes that adults have committed before or after this one.

I really can't think of any that make sense.

But nothing here does.

Well actually..."false identification documents" could apply here.

If Terri falsified documents to take Kyron to doctors pretending to be his biological mother.... it's a stretch...mainly because you don't have to show the kid's birth certificate to take them to the doctor to begin with.

But that may count as falsifying documents and if she didn't want anyone to know she was taking him, there might be a motivation to do it. :waitasec:

There also could be some sort of financial crime having to do with her payment to her attorney??

The Secret Service is also involved in the investigation of counterfeiting, and according to Wikipedia, "crimes that involve financial institution fraud, computer and telecommunications fraud, false identification documents, access device fraud, advance fee fraud, electronic funds transfers and money laundering".

None of these would seem to have much to do with the Horman case, so perhaps the other people who have been investigated have been involved with some of these financial crimes. Very odd...

Anyone find it strange, that although has been no recent update, Stanton updates the Portland Business Alliance on the case? Wonder why this group of business people instead of the public? :waitasec: Can't wait to see what the other papers have to say about this update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member