• An experienced killer and author

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Holdontoyourhat

Former Member
Reaction score
Who would've been the most qualified to complete a 2 1/2 page handwritten ransom note while at the same time having complete knowledge of what happened or what was going to happen to JBR?
  1. A housewife with a journalism background,
  2. A millionaire businessman,
  3. An experienced killer and author, or
  4. None of the above

Who would've been the most qualified to complete a 2 1/2 page handwritten ransom note while at the same time having complete knowledge of what happened or what was going to happen to JBR?
  1. A housewife with a journalism background,
  2. A millionaire businessman,
  3. An experienced killer and author, or
  4. None of the above

You've piqued my interest, HOTYH. My only problem is with the idea that someone would have to be qualified to write something so amateurish. So, taking that into account, I'd go with number one with possible help from number two.

You've piqued my interest, HOTYH. My only problem is with the idea that someone would have to be qualified to write something so amateurish. So, taking that into account, I'd go with number one with possible help from number two.

Amateurish is your opinion and since 14 years and no arrest, I am easily able to question your opinion.

It seems there's a misunderstanding of what 'qualified' means. Put another way: Who would you consider most up to the task of handwriting a 2 1/2 page ransom note legibly, while knowing what was going to happen or what already happened to JBR?

An experienced killer with a writing background is most likely able to write such a note. Far more qualified than a housewife or businessman who have never killed before or weren't expecting to have to write a note, let alone a long note.

Surely you jest, that someone who has in fact killed before would be less qualified than a housewife to write this ransom note. That you would prefer a housewife over an experienced killer-author for the task is something absurd beyond anything I've read.

It seems that some are confusing 'qualified' with 'motivated'. Would it help to remember that no motive has been identified in this case?

It was a rhetorical poll, really, because the most qualified is inarguable. It just clarified for me what the true nature of this forum is all about. Its all about RDI-or-bust spin to the point where rationality is set aside.

Patsy WAS qualified. She may have been a housewife at the time, but she was an educated woman, a journalism major in college.

Patsy WAS qualified. She may have been a housewife at the time, but she was an educated woman, a journalism major in college.

Thats your opinion, plus that is beside the point. Here, I'll slow down...

Imagine two people sitting next to each other, each of them having witnessed JBR's fate. One person is an experienced killer and an author. The other is a middle-aged housewife who is the mother of the victim and has never killed anyone before. Now then: who do you believe is the most qualified to complete the ransom note?

Thats your opinion, plus that is beside the point. Here, I'll slow down...

Imagine two people sitting next to each other, each of them having witnessed JBR's fate. One person is an experienced killer and an author. The other is a middle-aged housewife who is the mother of the victim and has never killed anyone before. Now then: who do you believe is the most qualified to complete the ransom note?

Well, I have to look at just THAT RN. I still have to say Patsy. Someone who was already a killer wouldn't write a note like that, and certainly wouldn't add such personal references. IMO, a killer would write it short and to the point, a little mean. THIS RN was almost intimate in tone.
Patsy may or may not have killed her daughter, but she wasn't a KILLER.

Well, I have to look at just THAT RN. I still have to say Patsy. Someone who was already a killer wouldn't write a note like that, and certainly wouldn't add such personal references. IMO, a killer would write it short and to the point, a little mean. THIS RN was almost intimate in tone.
Patsy may or may not have killed her daughter, but she wasn't a KILLER.

Would you rather I simply asked who you believed wrote the note? Of course I knew that already.

Instead I'm asking who would be more qualified to pick up a pen and write 370 composed and legible words either just before or just after a child murder. An experienced killer/author is exponentially more qualified to do it than a mother/housewife/journalist in a panic. There really is no argument so the poll is interesting.

Would you rather I simply asked who you believed wrote the note? Of course I knew that already.

Instead I'm asking who would be more qualified to pick up a pen and write 370 composed and legible words either just before or just after a child murder. An experienced killer/author is exponentially more qualified to do it than a mother/housewife/journalist in a panic.

I actually think the note looks like it WAS written in a panic. It goes on and on, like someone who is agitated and can't stop talking.

I actually think the note looks like it WAS written in a panic. It goes on and on, like someone who is agitated and can't stop talking.

For me, it looks like it was written very calmly considering the circumstances, especially when considering the length of the note. How could any parent handwrite a note knowing what just happened? Is there a single known case of this ever happening?

In simple terms, an experienced killer who is also an author would be vastly more qualified to write the ransom note. Far more qualified than a housewife or businessman. The ransom note was probably written by an experienced author who was also capable of writing under those circumstances, like an experienced killer or ideologically trained.

I don't think any of them are more or less qualified to write a note in those circumstances.

Being a killer wouldn't automatically make you able to write a ransom note, at least a coherant one.

a buisnessman may be able to handle pressure more than some but evn the most calm people would have trouble unless they were a psychopath and had no feelings at all.

A housewife journalist, while if it was just a case of writing a ransom note then kidnapping. then she would probally manage it ok i don't see one writing a ransom note to cover a murder,

Ifeel alot was just put in the RN to stall stuff with the police not as ever a means to get money but alot would change depending on when the RN was written in relation to the death ie. before during after.

I have a question, HOTYH. If it was an experienced killer/author, why in the world would he even write a ransom note? If you believe it was a kidnapping gone bad, then you would need to add kidnapper to his profile along with author and killer. Would he not see that all of this would be evidence that would point to his guilt? Do you know of any cases where a published author murdered and left a note? I'm asking in all seriousness because I would love to know what your thoughts are on this or if I'm reading the intent behind this thread entirely wrong (quite possible).

In my opinion, no real writer wrote that note.

But as you admit, this thread was a set-up. Similarly, I was tricked into believing you wanted input from a linguist in your other thread; when really, you were dismissive of most everything offered and obstinately clung to your original opinions.

Hat, if your opinion is indisputably right, why do you start threads soliciting others' input? And, as a suggestion, if you're going to keep doing that, can you lose the attitude and insults?

I have a question, HOTYH. If it was an experienced killer/author, why in the world would he even write a ransom note? If you believe it was a kidnapping gone bad, then you would need to add kidnapper to his profile along with author and killer. Would he not see that all of this would be evidence that would point to his guilt? Do you know of any cases where a published author murdered and left a note? I'm asking in all seriousness because I would love to know what your thoughts are on this or if I'm reading the intent behind this thread entirely wrong (quite possible).

And left the subject of his RN, behind in her own home???

In my opinion, no real writer wrote that note.

You're entitled to your opinion. BTW I checked some common connecting phrases like 'as well as', and 'will result in', comparing frequency of use in the subject text vs. the kidnap and murder text and the 'dangerous days' novel. And guess what...I'll be sticking to my opinion. I even used case sensitive sentence starters like "If the...".

But as you admit, this thread was a set-up. Similarly, I was tricked into believing you wanted input from a linguist in your other thread; when really, you were dismissive of most everything offered and obstinately clung to your original opinions.

Its important to know what people think. It was pretentious and rhetorical to stimulate conversation. It wasn't a set-up' because people can vote any way they want. Maybe you're confusing the two.

Hat, if your opinion is indisputably right, why do you start threads soliciting others' input? And, as a suggestion, if you're going to keep doing that, can you lose the attitude and insults?

I believe I already answered the first question. What attitude? What insults? I could ask why you need to suddenly ask personal questions of forum members that are irrelevant to the topic.

Oo, I'll take that as a "no friends."

Oo, I'll take that as a "no friends."

Not according to my facebook home page:innocent: (I just checked).

I asked if you've read McM's work and could comment on it, as the linguist you claim to be...

I'm patient though. Let me know when you've somthing to say, k?

"If the..."
ransom note: 1/370
subject text: 100/121312
dangerous days: 5/120649
kidnap and murder case: 0/68210

"It is..."
subject text: 117/121312
dangerous days: 34/120649
kidnap and murder case: 9/68210

"...will result in..."
ransom note: 2/370
subject text: 2/121312
dangerous days: 0/120649

"...will also be..."
subject text: 3/121312

"...and if you want..."
subject text: 1/121312

"...as well as the..."
subject text: 8/121312
kidnap and murder case: 3/68210

Re the housewife or anyone with a journalism background.From personal experience,such a person would never cross a word out and leave it like that (especially when delivering a message)but rather start a new page.

Re the housewife or anyone with a journalism background.From personal experience,such a person would never cross a word out and leave it like that (especially when delivering a message)but rather start a new page.

I think if you consider the circumstances of when this note was written, the frame of mind of the writer, crossing out (because it was decided to make a different point, rather than correcting a spelling error) would be done regardless of the author's journalism background or not.

I think if you consider the circumstances of when this note was written, the frame of mind of the writer, crossing out (because it was decided to make a different point, rather than correcting a spelling error) would be done regardless of the author's journalism background or not.

How does one consider what one does not know? You don't know the author's circumstances, frame of mind, or background at all.

The author was probably cold, calm, having a lunatics frame of mind and his background would make you sick.

How does one consider what one does not know? You don't know the author's circumstances, frame of mind, or background at all.

The author was probably cold, calm, having a lunatics frame of mind and his background would make you sick.

Or the author could be a terrified, horrified mom who had either just killed her little girl in a burst of temper, or had to cover up for another family member who had just killer her little girl while committing a sexual assault. Adrenaline can give us the ability to do things we would never be able to do under normal circumstances. I think Patsy would have been able to write the note.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back