Father Storms Bus, Confronts Disabled Daughter's Bullies

Poor guy. Probably not the best way to go about it, but as a parent, my heart aches for him (and his daughter/family). Which parents among us want to see our kids hurt?

Poor guy. Probably not the best way to go about it, but as a parent, my heart aches for him (and his daughter/family). Which parents among us want to see our kids hurt?

I feel for him too...and for his daughter who is apparently on a suicide watch. 13 is such a hard age. My daughter is almost 14 and middle school these days is brutal. She was bullied by kids in the neighborhood when she was in 5th grade and I went off on them. I'm glad noone had a camera, although all I said was if you don't want to play with her then leave her alone...but I can totally feel for this guy.

As a parent, I can totally relate. I feel badly that he felt driven to this confrontation. This should have been handled by the appropriate personnel before it reached this point of frustration for the father.

There but for the grace of God walk I.

I am so worried about this same thing with my son whom is autistic and will start middle school next year. I would prob. do the same thing as this father if such circumstances were the same and no one addressed the problem, with the exceptions of the threats, I would never threaten harm.

I hope his daughter gets the help she needs emotionally, middle school is brutal. Nobody ever seems to want to address the issue of bullying even when it is right in your face !

This family has my prayers ....

We have to get back to "neighborhood schools" where the huge majority of parents, teachers, staff and administrators know each other and work toward the common goal of educating our children.

This man tried to go through the "proper channels" and not one thing was done. Basically he got lip service. Now his daughter is on suicide watch.

I would like to think if this would have been a "neighborhood school" or even just a small suburban, rural district - it would have never gotten this far.

People don't seem to care anymore.

I had an issue with my dd at her school a few years back with one girl who was a huge bully, I informed the school on the first time I called them that they had 1 day to take care of it or I would.

This girl was horrific and they were in grade 3, the principal of the school informed me at the end of the year that they had to get a social worker to come in to correct all the damage this one little girl had done, she had never seen anything like this in all her 20 years of being an educator with girls as young as this.

Girls are horrible......I really wish that we as parents all strive to encourage our girls to be supportive and encouraging of each other, a sisterhood, we aren't competition and unfortunately kids today feel that way. I really am a firm believer that things start at home not all bullies as there are a few that will just go with the group.

It really is such a shame that this poor man had to bring himself to this.

I'm going to have to be careful how I post this, I don't want anyone to think I'm a criminal here. I support this father for trying to protect his daughter 100%. I feel that he did do something wrong however. I feel that he should have taken the three boys, who were abusing his daughter, by the nap of their necks and taken them off the bus so that he could scare the living hell out of them and make them look him in the eyes so that they know that he is dead serious. I was really pizzzzzed at one of the boy's mother who was so angry that he threatened her son. She was not concerned or apologetic for her brat son's abuse of the little girl. She was mad that someone actually tried to do her sorry job for her. I also think that the bus driver should be held to task for allowing the little girl to be abused on that bus. The school should be held fully accountable for not taking these punks off of the bus and forbid them to ride the bus. Why weren't the punks arrested for the abuse and assaults?

We have to get back to "neighborhood schools" where the huge majority of parents, teachers, staff and administrators know each other and work toward the common goal of educating our children.
This man tried to go through the "proper channels" and not one thing was done. Basically he got lip service. Now his daughter is on suicide watch.

I would like to think if this would have been a "neighborhood school" or even just a small suburban, rural district - it would have never gotten this far.

People don't seem to care anymore.

ITA but that is easier said than done. I have a huge amount of respect for those in the education field and am a parent trying to raise well-adjusted, compassionate, smart good citizens.

If only we could go back, to the days where your parents, teachers and administrators all felt as if they were on the same team.

Too many good parents who want to be involved feel slighted or not taken seriously and at the same time too many uninvolved, parents go storming over to the school looking for confrontation in a combative manner with administrators who've attempted to discipline their child.

You could not pay me enough to be in education. To have to deal with apathetic parents who expect you (school) to raise up their children and yet want to storm over to the school whenever you try to meet out the discipline they really are lacking at home.

To try to give a good education to those children who really want it and whose parents are invested in the same goal despite the distractions and bullying etc caused by the apathetic ones.

I really hope the school and administration is paying attention to this kid's plight now. Too bad it took an irate father to accomplish it. It is a sad state of affairs.

I feel for him. He's frustrated and worried about his daughter. I could easily see myself snapping in the same situation. Thing is though, he's got to model better behaviour if he wants his (& other) children to do the same. I know that's the ideal though and none of us are perfect. I do hope the situation gets resolved and that the bullies, their parents, and the school administration all participate in a stop-bullying programme and in helping this little girl in the future.

:hand: It's not just today that things have gotten worse. It's not just middle school when it starts, and it's not just girls!!!
I was bullied for 3 years straight- all of 4th, 5th, and 6th grade and this was many years ago. It started with one boy, then 3 boys, pretty soon it spread to the girls, then noone wanted to be seen with me or befriend me for fear they would be picked on. I was shoved into a fight with another girl, and they encircled me so I couldn't escape hoping to see me pummeled. My life was a living hell for 3 years. My self-esteem never totally recovered.
Although this father has taken it too far by his threatening behavior, I sure wish my mother (or father) had stuck up for me. My mother talking to my 4th grade teacher about it accomplished nothing. Most of the bullying took place outside of the classroom on the playground at lunchtime or recess, so no teachers or principal were aware of it!

Oh Lina, I hate hearing that.

That pack mentality can be brutal. What has surprised me is that even the "cool" kids will tell stories of various forms of being bullied.

When I was in junior high I happened to be in the gym dressing room alone when the meanest girl in seventh grade came in with a couple of friends. She told me to hurry up and I smarted off to her, not knowing who I was talking to or giving it a second thought. She and her friends followed me out, three against one--confronted me and before I knew it hauled off and slapped me across the face. I was stunned! Had nobody to even turn to, no teachers around and my reflex was to raise my hand and try and open up a can of whoopass on her (although she would have totally taken me down). She said, go ahead little rich girl (little did she know that I was no where near rich) and I said no, you're not worth it. I turned around and faked confidence, walking off with tears in my eyes. Horrible feeling. One hour later, we both get called to the principal's office, evidently someone saw or told. He asked me if she hit me and I, for some reason said..........no, we're fine. He said Ok........

We walked out and she said man, I had no idea you were so cool if anyone ever messes with you they'll have to go through me. So we went from being enemies to "friends" in one hour but it could have gone so differently. I remember what that felt like, it was horrible!

LinasK... I am so sorry for what you went through as a child, I too was bullied for all of school up to 9th grade. I still believe it affects me to this day.

Here it is a criminal offence to bully someone either in person or via internet, there was a young boy quite a few years back now who was bullied by a group of kids (sorry I cant remember his name) in grade school and they hung him in the bathroom stall behind the door on the hook. He couldn't get down and was hung to death. This put a change in our laws very quickly.

Edit:
Here is an excerpt about his story

February 1998
Myles Neuts. Age 10. Hung by the throat from a coat hook in school at Chatham, Ontario. Died four days later. Hung by two older boys waiting in a bathroom for him. While he slowly strangled on the hook, the boys brought their pals to see "the dummy", but one finally told a teacher. Not in time to save his life.

Poor father I feel for him. When my cousin was bullied by bullies these bullies were not allowed on the bus for 3 months. When the 3 months were up they were changed to another bus on another bus stop all together.

Where is the school in all this?????

thats just wrong..
i dont blame mr jones, not one bit..i hope they understand and go easy on him..( just had what minor parking stuff??) tormenting that poor girl, unable to probably defend herself too...

I would like to find a report on how his daughter is doing. All they've said is that she is in the hospital and on suicide watch. That poor child.

I've heard on the 11 o'clock news that the school is saying they have no record(s) of him reporting anything. Yea right. Think they have already hit the CYA mode.

I think that the majority of people who hear about this will side with the father- who can blame him?

This is horrible. I know that bullies have always existed but the new ways people are doing it, via technology, is just another hurdle.

Teaming up on a disabled child just infuriates me even further. I hope that this family feels all of the support this has generated.

He certainly made a mistake by threatening the kids but I don't blame him for sticking up for his daughter and I wish more parents would. Seems the schools these days don't do enough in these situations. I was bullied in elementary school and nobody would stick up for me except my older cousin. Once he saw a kid harassing me and he jacked him up the wall by his shirt and told him if he so much as looked at me again he was gonna kick his @$$. My mother would never get involved. She thought it was best to let the kids work it out. Oh, one of my sons is named after this cousin.

My 12 year old daughter was bullied by a girl and a boy on the bus last year. The girl is well known for being a bully. She came home one day crying and having an asthma attack due to their teasing. The next day I went down to the bus stop and when they got off the bus I had a recorder with me in case they went home and told their parents I said things I did not. I told them very calmly that what they did was harassment and it's against the law and if it happened again I was calling the cops. Never happened again.

They supposedly had two adults on that bus but neither once spoke English. Had do they direct the children in case of an accident if they don't speak English? The second adult on the bus should sit in the back and to end bus bullying, there is a rather simple approach I would suggest. Have the children receive a grade for bus behavior which counts along with their other grades. If they flunk "bus", their parents would have to get them to school some other way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back