GUILTY VA - Shana Hight, 24, brutally murdered, Virginia Beach, 13 Sept 2010

Sounds scary! The video at the link says that LE has determined that her husband was NOT in the area when she died - so was it a stranger? Or was it someone she met online? Or was it a neighbor?

Salem

Sounds scary! The video at the link says that LE has determined that her husband was NOT in the area when she died - so was it a stranger? Or was it someone she met online? Or was it a neighbor?

Salem

I have no idea Salem , it does sound downright scary though. I saw it on our news site. I will post more as they update it though .

I can't understand the brutality of people sometimes! If her husband is not around, is he out to sea?

My niece was born in VB when my brother was in the navy. A lot of things go on there. My brother described it like this, "You would think since we're all in the same situation, that when husbands are at sea, the guys at home would help out the wives. Be respectful and help them out. Well, it's usually the opposite."

He wouldn't elaborate, but it had him pretty upset at the time. He was the guy, while at home would help the women in their base housing. He would get them to honest mechanics, bring them shopping for groceries, if they couldn't get there themselves, or bring them to appointments or the hospital. All with my sister in law and daughter by his side. He said that way he and they were protected.

Native Republic woman murdered in Virginia

A young woman is murdered in her Virginia home, and the news is hitting hard here in the Ozarks. 24 year old Shana Hight was a Republic native, and just graduated from Republic High School in 2005.

Shana Hight was found murdered in her Virginia Beach apartment on Monday. We don't know any other details about her death, but do know she had many friends and family here in the Springfield area that will miss her dearly.

The news of Shana's murder has spread through her Virginia Beach neighborhood.

[Notes:Brandon Erb/Neighbor] Everybody knows everybody and I just wouldn't have expected it.

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-shana-hight-murder-9152010,0,6551107.story

This is local for me. From what I understand her husband was deployed (out to sea). It reminds me of another case we had here in Norfolk VA. A Navy wife, Michelle Bosko, was raped and murdered. There's a book out on it now called The Wrong Guys:Murder, False Confessions and the Norfolk Four. Four men were found guilty even though wasn't much evidence against any of them except one.

It's so dangerous for these young women when their husbands go out to sea. I do remember in one article that a man (neighbor) came to her door and she openly told him that her husband was deployed (not a good idea).

I hope they find out who did this soon. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and especially her husband.

This is local for me. From what I understand her husband was deployed (out to sea). It reminds me of another case we had here in Norfolk VA. A Navy wife, Michelle Bosko, was raped and murdered. There's a book out on it now called The Wrong Guys:Murder, False Confessions and the Norfolk Four. Four men were found guilty even though wasn't much evidence against any of them except one.

It's so dangerous for these young women when their husbands go out to sea. I do remember in one article that a man (neighbor) came to her door and she openly told him that her husband was deployed (not a good idea).

I hope they find out who did this soon. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and especially her husband.

I am local too and remember that case . Didn't he just go back to court ( one of the guys charged with her murder ) because the other guy admitted he acted alone ?

Oh how horrible. God Bless this young lady. Pretty girl. Your husband is serving our country and this happens?:mad:

You want for heart breaking? I just looked and saw they had one of those "wedding channel" sites. They've only been married a little over a year. Not much information on there except the wedding would be in Virginia Beach.

Shana also twittered, but gave no indication of her location. Her FB and twitter showed she was very interested in the paranormal. I have no doubt somehow she'll give her husband a sign.

Face Book

http://www.facebook.com/people/Shana-Hight/214600856

BTW, it appears she was a homebody. She had taken up knitting. The young woman was doing everything right. This makes me so ill. RIP pretty young one.

I am local too and remember that case . Didn't he just go back to court ( one of the guys charged with her murder ) because the other guy admitted he acted alone ?

Yes, one is saying he acted alone. The book tells about how they were coerced into making a confession. I haven't read it so I really don't have an opinion on it.

I don't think anywhere is really safe anymore. It did seem like this young lady was not into any behaviors that might have put her more at risk. It'll probably end up being someone she either worked with or right there in her neighborhood. I haven't heard anything else locally about it. It's been kept pretty quiet unless I just missed it on the news.

My fiancée is deployed out of Norfolk and even though he really didn't get to know our neighbors I have, while we don't live in a bad area were close to one and you really never know. The other upside ( and really for this reason ) you can hear everything in these apartments, it's sad I know when my upstairs neighbor is using the bathroom. I can't wait until he comes home.

I feel for her family and hope they have answers soon.

Enchanting eyes, I know what you mean. I'm not married so I'm alone much of the time too. You really have to be careful, and like you, I like in a Hampton Roads city that has some high crime areas. You can never be too careful (unless you're not leaving the house at all).
Thank you to YOU and your husband for his service.

BTW, someone commented after the second link that was posted about why the ME wouldn't say how this young lady was killed. Isn't that to protect the investigation? For the longest time LE wouldn't release the manner in which a 16-year old girl (Megan Landowski) was killed because they felt it would compromise the investigation. I hope the person who did this left lots of evidence.

I feel so bad for her husband.

Looks like her husband might have been deployed on the USS Harry Truman. What a horrible thing for him to come home to. My son is also deployed on that ship. I will have to ask him if he knew him. I hope that they can catch the perp quickly.

Hmm I know that ship, I know that ship well. I am sure they are doing there best to get the husband back as soon as possible, not so easy considering where they are at the moment.

I haven't heard anything new on Shana, but I did come across a blog mentioning that her mother is creating necklaces ($20) to help defray some of the costs incurred by her death. I'm not sure if I can post a link to a blog or not.

My condolences for this husband/family. I understand they were married a little over a year. Virginia Beach is my home. There have been violent crimes committed here as everywhere, so one always uses judgement about who knows info about the family and schedules.

In these apt. complexes everyone knows when dates the large ships deploy and what wives are living alone. As a military wife years ago, I took self defense classes and own and learned to use a handgun. One never imparts family info to strangers....."My husband just left to sea for 3 months." Walking late evening or going alone on runs is not a wise idea. I always keep a rather intimidating and well trained dog as a companion for walks and drives. A dog is a great pal for going on trail walks and it is wise to ask a friend to go along. "Buddy up" and have a close friend to keep check on you. An attractive young woman can have admirers who cross the line and become belligerant at rebuffs. This could be a case of her being watched from someone right in that complex.

There have been murders committed by someone known the husband. So anyone is a suspect as this is not always "stranger danger" but could be a trusted friend. There is always danger to women left behind in the military community with husbands deployed many months. Often from small towns where they grew up, these girls are away from family and a desire to meet friends might mean they are less cautious of others.

Virginia Beach is a beautiful area but it is a known fact we have an uncommon number of unsolved murders of young women in Virginia!
As a professional psychic for 35+ years, active in crime cases, who works work with family and police..I would like to offer to consult w/family here. No fee requested. I also have a colleague who is a Va. licensed detective. Time is of the essence. Such a case can go cold if leads are not diligently pursued by LE. There is a violent offender who has murdered in this community similar to other unsolved cases in Virginia.
Let those who live nearby use care. If you know or saw anything that could be relative make a call and let LE know.

Those who live alone should put a sign on the door,"No solictors" as these people are transient. Most emplyers of day workers don't do background checks. One never knows who gets knowledge at the door in a sales visit. Past murder cases had such workers who the chance to case a neighborhood. Good deadbolts and secure windows are first priority on first floor apartments. Is that paranoid? Yes, why not? In todays world women alone need to observe surroundings. The Navy should have self defense and and safety classes for the families.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - A dive team just wrapped up their search of a pond near Bayhead Drive and the Waterfront apartments.

Virginia Beach Police started searching for something in the water around 4 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

Short article but good view of the back of the apartment building. Many apartments located there.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/dive-team-searches-near-murder-scene

I wonder if LE was given some type of tip that made them search the water. I would assume they were looking for a weapon of some type. They still haven't said how this young lady was murdered have they?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back