UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 700UFCA
http://doenetwork.org/cases/700ufca.html

81d47281-3ed4-459c-9b1e-f631638cc40f.jpg

WARNING - POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2811920030045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on May 28, 1974 in Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California
* State of Remains: Recognizable Face

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 20-28 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 118 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: May be Hispanic. Black, long hair; brown eyes. "T"-shaped scar on top of left hand.
* Clothing: Pink/peach Capri suit with tie strings in front (also described as orange 'scrubs'); black fake fur coat, 3/4 length with bronze buttons; black bikini panties with strawberry print; calf-high suede black boots. A white gold engagement ring with a small diamond. She carried two keys in her coat pocket; one house key and one padlock key, on a key ring with a broken chain.
* Fingerprints: Available

Case History
The victim was located in the surge surf at the foot of Linden Avenue and Shoreline Drive in Long Beach, California on May 28, 1974. She was strangled.

I've been browsing through high school yearbooks on Classmates.com to see if I could find matches for teens and early 20's with postmortem photos. They still don't have enough books on their site to do a good thorough search, but I thought maybe I'd get lucky and find some of these people.

Looking through the 1971 David Starr Jordan High School (Long Beach CA) yearbook, I came across a girl with the initials AP (who was a Junior in 1971). The 1972 yearbook wasn't available to find her Senior photo.

2211624140045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
81d47281-3ed4-459c-9b1e-f631638cc40f.jpg

Here is the side-by side with the postmortem photo:
WARNING - POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...mparisons/2187636680045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

She has a very similar nose, cheekbone structure and chin to Jane Doe. If she was a Junior in 1971, she would have been about 20 years old in 1974, which appears to be Jane Doe's approximate age. Her overall look is a little different from what I envisioned, but closed eyes can be deceptive to the mind's eye.

I am unable to find any info to indicate that AP is missing. But I looked through the Classmates.com alumni listing for Jordan High, and she wasn't listed. I also went to Facebook, and found several AP's including one that had a similar nose and appears to be about the right age. However, she and most of the others were from Italy.

Do any of you think this might be her?

I think they look very much alike Carl. The similiarty between the noses is amazing.

I think we would need to determine if Anna later married as her current last name may not be her birth name. I don't have an ancestry.com account but if someone does they could see if they could find record of a marriage. I think we should see if we can find evidence of Anna alive and well somewhere. If not I would contact the ME..... and see if perhaps they can have LE find evidence of Anna being alive and well?

While Anna is not listed as missing, imo, the similarities are too strong to ignore.

moo

I had an introductory membership to Ancestry.com a couple of months ago, but I let it expire without signing up. But I agree - that would be a good next step if anyone here has a membership.

Thanks. I looked before and didn't find her. But I looked again and sure enough - there she is. :blushing::blushing:

Maybe I had it improperly filtered by year before.

I looked again in FB, but still the only ones that come up are in italy (or are too young).

ETA: I see what I did the first time - I went straight to the filtered list from the yearbooks page, and doing it that way, the list only includes the graduating class for that year.

This is solvable. She clearly had a job and it would have been noticed if she went missing, even if she didn't have family. I can't help but wonder if her fiance did it, otherwise one would think a missing engaged girl would be searched for to the ends of the earth by him. I know I would.

Did you ever submit this? The resemblance is haunting, to me.

Did you ever submit this? The resemblance is haunting, to me.

No, I didn't. She is listed in the Classmates alumni listing, which would indicate that she was still alive some time after the mid 1990's.

I have a couple of others that also look close, but I don't want to get into the habit of posting photos of people who aren't known to be missing. I need to research them fully before putting them up on the board.

I told the Mod that I would keep those types of posts to a minimum.

But if you want to go to Classmates and look in the yearbooks, you can find them as follows:

Dxxxxx C. Axxxxx (Long Beach Polytechnic High Class of 1971 - Senior)
Jxxxx Cxxxx (David Starr Jordan High School Class of 1970 - Senior) - This one especially.

But if you want to go to Classmates and look in the yearbooks, you can find them as follows:

Dxxxxx C. Axxxxx (Long Beach Polytechnic High Class of 1971 - Senior)
Jxxxx Cxxxx (David Starr Jordan High School Class of 1970 - Senior) - This one especially.

I found a Jxxxx Cxxxx in Facebook who appears to be the right age (and her name is fairly uncommon). I sent her a PM to ask if she is the same JC that went to DS Jordan High in 1970 (and explained why I'm asking).

Although Dxxxxx C. Axxxxx looks close, I'm a little doubtful as she doesn't appear to have as broad of a nose at the tip.

Are there any photos of the "scrubs" available? I'm curious to know if the outfit may be more in tune with a hotel maids uniform or something similar. A missing nurse, IMO, would have caused more of a media frenzy and perhaps solved this case along time ago....

I found a Jxxxx Cxxxx in Facebook who appears to be the right age (and her name is fairly uncommon). I sent her a PM to ask if she is the same JC that went to DS Jordan High in 1970 (and explained why I'm asking).

Although Dxxxxx C. Axxxxx looks close, I'm a little doubtful as she doesn't appear to have as broad of a nose at the tip.

Jxxxx Cxxxx replied to my message and verified that she is indeed the Jxxxx Cxxxx of DS Jordan High (and very much alive).

Are there any photos of the "scrubs" available? I'm curious to know if the outfit may be more in tune with a hotel maids uniform or something similar. A missing nurse, IMO, would have caused more of a media frenzy and perhaps solved this case along time ago....

LA County is not one of the better jurisdictions for saving evidence from old cold cases. I used to work as an internal auditor for the LA County Municipal Court system in the late '90s. I remember a few times having to go down into the basement of the Hall of Records to look through boxes of old court documents. While I was looking through tote boxes, I found dozens of tote-boxes full of coroner records piled up at the end of a corridor. The basement was accessible to anyone who wanted to go down there. Any Joe Schmoe could have gone down to the bottom of the stairwell into the basement and browsed through old coroner's reports. I'm not sure why someone would want to, but they could nevertheless.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that they can't find evidence from old cold cases, as it was probably stored in a similarly haphazard manner.

wow, the hybrid reconstruction is really striking.
I think it trumps the other two.

I have read through this lady's case a number of times and was wondering if instead of being scrubs or a pantsuit, if it was actually pajamas that she was wearing. For example, she heard something outside her house or apt or was compelled to go outside for some reason or another, put on her coat and boots took her key left then met with bad fate. She wasn't wearing socks or a bra, that's sort of strange for during the day but not at night when you are asleep.

The area of Linden Ave and Shoreline Dr has changed a lot since 1974. Does anyone know what was there back then? How far was it from the Pike amusement park?

I came across a scan of an article about her in the Long Beach Independent Press Telegram http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7qr-CWmQebc/SqBvXg4R8dI/AAAAAAAAFQg/0J-mGcWexCs/s1600-h/Image24.jpg

I tried to include the image, but it is not showing. A link to the article is above.

The area of Linden Ave and Shoreline Dr has changed a lot since 1974. Does anyone know what was there back then? How far was it from the Pike amusement park?

The Long Beach Arena is located at this point, and has been there since about 1962. Shoreline Drive has been functioning as the racetrack for the annual Long Beach Grand Prix since 1975.

I am guessing that Shoreline Drive Jane Doe was found in the area where the Long Beach Shoreline Marina is now located (Marked "A" on the map below). The Shoreline Marina opened in 1982.

And according to this map, the Pike (Marked "B" on the map below) is approximately 1/2 mile from the approximate location of where SDJD was found.

Linden Dr to 95 S Pine Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802 - Google Maps

The Long Beach Arena is located at this point, and has been there since about 1962. Shoreline Drive has been functioning as the racetrack for the annual Long Beach Grand Prix since 1975.

I am guessing that Shoreline Drive Jane Doe was found in the area where the Long Beach Shoreline Marina is now located (Marked "A" on the map below). The Shoreline Marina opened in 1982.

And according to this map, the Pike (Marked "B" on the map below) is approximately 1/2 mile from the approximate location of where SDJD was found.

Linden Dr to 95 S Pine Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802 - Google Maps

Thanks for the info and map! I didn't realize that the arena was there since 1962. I know they built a new retail area that they are calling "the Pike"; I guess I should have realized that it is on the old amusement park site. So I guess that there weren't any beach apartments that she could have come from and someone had to bring her there (or could she have washed up from somewhere else?).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back