What Not to Say When Pulled Over by a Cop

Great advice and one needn't memorize all those "rules".

If one merely bears in mind how many police officers are wounded or killed during routine traffic stops, it isn't hard to figure out things like keeping your hands visible, moving slowly when reaching for your license, announcing what you are doing while you do it, etc.

I learned this lesson a bit more dramatically. When I first moved to California from NYC and began driving again, I was told by a well-meaning, but misguided friend that one should always get out of the car when stopped so that the police can see you aren't armed. Very bad advice.

The one (and as it turned out only) time I was ever stopped I got out of the car and stood up with my hands out to each side as the officer approached. I am 6'3"; she was about 5'6". And I clearly saw the look of alarm that flashed across her eyes as I towered above her.

As she put her hand on her gun, I took several steps back. She was well-trained and did not overreact or mistreat me in anyway. (The violation was an expired inspection sticker; I had borrowed the car from the very friend who gave me the bad advice.) But I immediately saw how my size alone was a potential threat to her, and my outstretched hands were visible, yes, but also in positions where they could be used as weapons. (Which is funny, since I'm as non-violent as one can be, but of course she couldn't know that.)

So in the future, I'll stay in the car with my hands visible on the wheel.

Grew up with 3 cops in the family. Rule 1 - always keep your hands where they can be seen...on top of the steering wheel. 2. never reach into the glove compartment to prepare your papers (insurance/proof of registration). 3. don't go diggin in your purse for your driver's license. 4. never ever make a move to get out of the car - it'll get you killed (especially in California). 5. Keep eyes straight ahead -- no eyes darting to and fro like your making sure your drugs are not in plain sight (LOL). 6. Don't start smoking a ciggie -- don't care how nervous U are. 7. don't offer up any information other than what's asked of you. Yes sir, no sir (or maam) are good answers.

Anyway, that's what I was taught :)

Mel

When I was pulled over for speeding last year, after the officer gave me a warning he said, 'Thanks for keeping your hands on the steering wheel where I could see them." :)

I think I have effectively minimized my chances of being pulled over for a traffic infraction. (This is slightly off-topic, slightly not, depending on how you look at it.)

Anyway, I drive an hour and a half each way to my job, 5 days a week. When I started, I realized that my risk of an accident or at least a ticket was very, very high.

So here's what I do: I never go more than 10% over the speed limit. I keep "assured clear distance," both driving and when stopped. (If you look that up, it tells you how to know if you're at "acd.") I use my blinkers. I yield on highway entrances. I don't let anyone bully me into driving faster just so they can speed.

Weirdest thing out of all this is that I usually arrive at work in about the same time I did before I put my rules into effect. And I've not been stopped, not in an accident. So far. <<cross fingers>>

Another thing to not say to an officer when pulled over:

"Don't look in the trunk! There's nobody in there, anyways! Nothing was dripping, was it?" :crazy:

"Don't look in the trunk! There's nobody in there, anyways! Nothing was dripping, was it?" :crazy:

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that today!

LOL - now that was funny! Kinda reminds me of the days when folks used to put those fake hands hanging out of their trunk. I haven't seen one in years thank goodness - it always creeped me out :)

Grew up with 3 cops in the family. Rule 1 - always keep your hands where they can be seen...on top of the steering wheel. 2. never reach into the glove compartment to prepare your papers (insurance/proof of registration). 3. don't go diggin in your purse for your driver's license. 4. never ever make a move to get out of the car - it'll get you killed (especially in California). 5. Keep eyes straight ahead -- no eyes darting to and fro like your making sure your drugs are not in plain sight (LOL). 6. Don't start smoking a ciggie -- don't care how nervous U are. 7. don't offer up any information other than what's asked of you. Yes sir, no sir (or maam) are good answers.

Anyway, that's what I was taught :)

Mel

Thank you very much mgardner.

Two days ago my youngest son got a new car and before I read your very informative post, I told him to be careful around where we live as I see many cops pulling over young drivers.

Well I'm going to give him your much more informative advice and information!
I so appreciate it!

"What's the matter, officer? Trying to make your quota this month?"

Police officers are our employees, but that doesn't mean we get to be rude to them. They should be treated as we wish our boss treated us, i.e., with respect.

(ETA this is just a general comment, not a response to the previous post. I realize that was a joke and a good example of what NOT to do.)

Don't ask the Cop for a date. Not gonna go over real well. Maybe you will get lucky and he will ask you out....:) Kidding all.

Don't ask him if he wants a hit off your pipe...

Goz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back