GA - Bishop Long accused of coercing young males into sex

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_pasto...5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNsYXdzdWl0Y2xhaW0-

Lawsuit claims Bishop Long coerced males into sex

"Two men have filed a lawsuit accusing Bishop Eddie Long of exploiting his role as pastor of an Atlanta-area megachurch to coerce them into sexual relationships when they were young members of his congregation.

Lawyers for the men, now 20 and 21, say they filed the lawsuit on Tuesday in DeKalb County Court. The Associated Press generally does not identify people who say they were victims of sexual impropriety...."

and

"...The men were 17- and 18-year-old members of Long's New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, when they say Long abused his spiritual authority to seduce them with with cars, money, clothes, jewelry, international trips and access to celebrities...."

"...Long was appointed pastor of New Birth in 1987. Then, the church had about 150 members. Less than four years later, the church had grown to more than 8,000 members, many of whom reside in DeKalb County, home to many affluent African-Americans. Athletes and entertainers claim membership at the church, and among its prominent clergy is the Rev. Bernice King, the youngest daughter of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr...."

more at link

Im my opinion, Sheriff Brown might need to recuse himself from this investigation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_pasto...5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNnYW1lZ2FjaHVyY2g-

Ga. megachurch pastor accused in sex scandal

"As a Christian author, gospel singer and leader of one of the nation's best-known black megachurches, Bishop Eddie Long finds a wide audience for messages such as marriage is "between one man and one woman." Those words hung heavy Wednesday over accusations that the TV preacher, a married father of four, used jewelry, cars and cash to lure three young men into sexual relationships.

Lawsuits filed Tuesday and Wednesday say the young men were 17 or 18 years old at the time, enrolled in New Birth Missionary Baptist Church's ministry for teen boys...."

and

"...Bernstein [the plaintiffs' attorney]said she didn't trust local authorities to investigate the claims.

"This is a really large church that's incredibly politically powerful," Bernstein said. "There are pictures of this guy with every politician around. With something this important, how can I trust that word didn't get back to the bishop?

"DeKalb County Sheriff Thomas Brown has been a member of New Birth for more than 15 years and sits on the advisory board for Long's Longfellows Youth Academy. He said he would stand by the bishop and bristled at Bernstein's suggestion that local authorities couldn't be trusted...."

and

"..."The bishop has helped so many people," he said. "It's not uncommon for him to mentor young men and groom them to be productive members of society. The bishop's heart has always been in the right place. But the New Birth family, we're weeping. This is not a good day for New Birth...."

more at link

I am so glad that this is in the open and didn't get brushed under the rug, or the victims settle for under the table payoffs! Prayers for the victims, families and congregation.

Ok gonna put this out there and I'm not bashing nor being racial in any way... I was married into a black church (for a very short period)... married the pastor who was a former co-worker of mine. It wasn't very large, started out small much like this one.

The church funds paid for most of our wedding and a very expensive honeymoon. I later found out paid for my 2 ct. ring as well. Very long story short I turned tail and ran from that corruption. Had the elders and congregation known where their money was going there would have been an uprising! I couldn't, in good faith and being a Christian, stay in that situation. It was wrong plain and simple.

I don't say this to insinuate this is the case here. Just merely sharing a past experience. Although, IMO by the pictures of the Bishop with the very expensive clothes and jewelry I don't doubt church funds could have been misappropriated for not so good motives.

What in the world is happening all this perverted type of sex!
Almost every article and crime anymore is sexually related.
And in a very SICK way.

So...the attorney of the three men say there is no evidence, nothing that is "overtly" sexual. (I read, nothing sexual) and they all went on trips together.

I see a potential shake down...

I, too, have many questions. I've been pondering this all day. If this pastor abused his authority over these teens, he must be held accountable. However, he needs to be given the opportunity to exonerate himself if he is innocent. I am not a "big church" person. I'm Christian but my faith is very private. I also find the flashiness off-putting but something is pulling in as many as 25,000 people to that church. Many people love this man. Does that mean he's innocent? Of course not. But he's not guilty, in my book, unless there's some confirmation.

The very fact, though, that churches reach out to troubled youth means that sometimes the youth's own pathology can be imported into the mix. I hope a very careful investigation is done. If this pastor has done this with two young men, he's done it with many. Maybe others will step forward.

And this is the perfect lesson for clergy and other helping professionals. If you are kind hearted and pure, don't put yourself into positions where your motives can ever be questioned. IMO, traveling alone with young church members is just not a smart move.

A third young man must have joined the accusers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_pasto...DeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA21lZ2FjaHVyY2hwYQ--

Megachurch pastor keeps mum on sex allegations

"ATLANTA – On Sunday mornings, accused megachurch Bishop Eddie Long is usually draped in regal robes and dripping with diamonds and platinum — the kind of material rewards he often says are in God's plan for those listening.

His message expected this Sunday will be the first in public since three young men accused him in lawsuits of having sexual relationships with them, which he has vehemently denied only through his lawyer and a Twitter posting.

Long built his congregation into a megachurch empire, telling his followers God wanted them to be wealthy and delivering fiery sermons with a secular swagger. He hangs with celebrities like rapper T.I. and donates money to charities and candidates. Even the county sheriff is among his followers...."

and

"...He's preached against gay marriage, and his church has counseled gay members to become straight — even though the men claim in their lawsuits that Long used money, cars, international trips, jewelry and other objects to lure them into sexual relationships when they were 17 or 18 years old..."

and

"....He is beloved by his congregation, though, which has dismissed the accusations as a test from God...."

more at link

I know this isn't really the same thing, but it really reminds me of the Franklin Files. I think that is what it was called.

Are you referring to the Franklin Cover-up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_child_prostitution_ring_allegations

This is a link to the mainstream "story". Much more can be learned about the Franklin theories by googling it and reading the different views. An excellent and well reviewed book was also written:

"The Franklin Cover-Up: Child Abuse, Satanism, and Murder in Nebraska" by John W. Decamp (72 reviews on Amazon)

The Franklin cover-up involves a very large and organized child sex ring. I have no idea if these three men are reporting anything that comes close to a sex ring. I think we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

I'm getting quite tired of churches sticking their noses into the right to choose when they cannot control their ministers who rape and molest the children that have been brought into the world. They can be a voice, have an opinion, but it's time they stop pretending they talk for God on the matter of children.

The latest accuser says Long paid for his trip to S Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya, paid his college tuition, bought him a car, gave him cash and a place to live. Ahhhh. He was just being nice to the young man.

Trino--ITA, you've really got to give a story like that the once over. Would we raise our eyebrows if a coach or a politician did that? Of course. I can't think of any clergyman who would do something like this for any one other than a son or another close relative. Even if the Bishop is a generous man, surely he's got to see that something like this would raise suspicion. A highly public figure just doesn't do things like this. Not without some motive, IMO.

One has to wonder if the funding for that young man came out of the church coffers, too.

Trino--ITA, you've really got to give a story like that the once over. Would we raise our eyebrows if a coach or a politician did that? Of course. I can't think of any clergyman who would do something like this for any one other than a son or another close relative. Even if the Bishop is a generous man, surely he's got to see that something like this would raise suspicion. A highly public figure just doesn't do things like this. Not without some motive, IMO.

One has to wonder if the funding for that young man came out of the church coffers, too.

Between 1997 and 2000, Long's salary was $3 million. He lives in a $1 million home.

The cost of tuition at Beulah Heights University where the accuser said Long paid his way is approximately $12,000 per year w/o living on campus. (He stated Long gave him a place to live.) Other expenses? The car?

I, too, wonder if the money came from parishoner's contributions. Sure would fry me if I thought my pastor was making that much money period. Then, if he used contributions for hook-ups, the word "livid" wouldn't cover it.

I think the hypocrisy, if the abuse is proven, would be the thing that most fries me.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100924...5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNnYXBhc3RvcnN5b3U-

Ga. pastor's youth academy preached sexual control

"Bishop Eddie Long's boys' academy guided teens through their "masculine journey" with lessons on financial discipline and sexual control, right down to a little card the students had to carry in their wallets reminding them why they shouldn't have sex.

Long himself, though, has been accused of contradicting those virtues. The bishop — who's been an outspoken opponent of gay marriage in the past — is being sued by two young men who attended the LongFellows Youth Academy and say Long used the program to groom them for sexual relationships....."

and

"....Long also focuses on relationships, with students making a vow of sexual purity. The young men carry a "SEX Self-Check Card" in their wallets listing their vision for life, a favorite scripture and "3 things you could be doing instead of having sex...."

more at link, including direct descriptions by the alleged victims

IMO, so much of what the boys learn at the institute is fabulous, truly. And then you get to the descriptions of the grooming and the sex acts. Please be aware that the young men's names are used in this article. According to their attorneys, they consented.

It's incredible to me how much he makes, but there are those in the profession who make more (Joel Osteen).

This is the express reason that I took my faith and stayed home. I can use the funds I used to tithe as I feel most appropriate to help others. I can be certain that I'm not paying for a pastor's jewelry nor his young "friends'" cars.

I am in no way negating this man's ability to reach others with his message but I shake my head at the number of truly bright men and women who he's brought into his fold. Those sermons must be what some desperately need to hear.

When we think of all our most sacred and honored spiritual teachers throughout history, consider the way they dressed and the way they comported themselves. Across all faiths, I think of the words; humbleness, simplicity, tenderness, and quiet wisdom. Being that this man professes to be a Christian and uses the Bible as his guide, I would remind him of these words written in the very book he holds in his hands as he preaches:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

and

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

Does it for me.

It's the old 'do as I say, not as I do' trick.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back