GUILTY UT - Michael & Penni Barry for raping 11yo daughter, Bountiful, 2007

Missizzy

Reaction score
I've got to ask the obvious here. Why would a couple who were raping their child, allow her to attend therapy? That poor little girl. I am so hopeful that a loving foster placement is working to restore a little trust for her. What wicked parents.....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50349117-76/child-daughter-bountiful-couple.html.csp

Bountiful [UT] couple charged with raping daughter

"Prosecutors have charged a Bountiful [UT] couple with raping their daughter.

In 2007, the couple engaged in sex acts with their daughter when she was 11 and 12 years old, charging documents state. The couple, whom The Salt Lake Tribune is not naming in order to protect their daughter’s identity, engaged in sex acts with the child in front of each other and together, the documents state. The information came to light during the child’s therapy session...."

and

"...The girl, along with a younger sister and brother, have been placed in state custody..."

more at link

A link to some discussion of the case:

Bountiful couple charged with raping daughter - The Salt Lake Tribune's TribTalk

Remember, the MS pages can't be linked to as they show children.

I learn something new everyday. I didn't realize that one could be on good standing with the Mormon church and smoke and drink and have tattoos. That's far different than the expectations past Mormon friends of mine have adhered to. There's also mention of past a past abuser of the children who's now in prison. It sounds as if these children were victimized by more than one couple.

Missizzy- The couple (or, the wife at least) was not active Mormon. She was raised in the church, but stopped practicing.

I don't know this couple personally, but I know of them. They were not active Mormon. Which may explain the tattoos, drinking, etc.

I guess they are announcing the names of the couple. Possibly, other victims might come forward:

http://www.standard.net/topics/sex-abuse/2010/09/23/couple-charged-child-rape

"A married couple has been charged with first-degree felonies for having a sexual relationship with an 11-year-old girl.

[MY NOTE: HELLO!! IT'S NOT A RELATIONSHIP, IT'S RAPE...IF IT WERE A RELATIONSHIP, THERE WOULDN'T BE FELONIES ATTACHED TO IT]

Bountiful police arrested Michael Ray Barry, 44, and his wife, Penni Barry, 36, on Wednesday after investigating claims made by the girl, said Police Lt. Randy Pickett...."

more at link

Thanks for that clarification. That really bothered me. However, the mother does comment that her children are going to church. I'm hopeful that other church members can be supportive of these children as their lives must be turned upside down.

It really irritates me when people proclaim to not smoke or drink and then there's photos of them clearly engaging in that behavior. Both MS pages are extremely smarmy, IMO. The friends I have had which were active in the Mormon church would never consider having a MS page like these. Their pages were very family centered and loving.

http://www.myyearbook.com/?mysession=cmVnaXN0cmF0aW9uX3Byb2ZpbGUmdXNlcmlkPTI1NzE4NTQ1

The child was raped in the past. Penni talks about going to trial and hoping they send the man away. On her MS page, she talks about the man in jail having photos of her children. This woman scares me. The photos of her little girl are NOT appropriate and she kind of gloats about men wanting to "marry" her little girl.

YUCK. Poor child.

the "my yearbook page"? ummm..........ok....
poor girl( the child i mean) and she had younger sibs? i wonder what the younger ones endured? my heart goes out to the kids

I almost threw up looking at her myspace...poor kid....so that would have been 3 years ago.

Sick!!! What could possibly make a 'mother' believe this would EVER be ok!

Poor kidlets!

There are two younger siblings who are in state custody, along with the victim. I'm more than a little concerned, though, about just who the granddaughter belongs to. Penni says that she was only allowed to see her on the day she was born (sometime in 2009) and is being kept away from her.

There's only two scenarios I can think of which would explain that. She might have an older child who had an infant. That child might have the good sense to keep the infant away from Penni. The second scenario is too awful to even print.

Something about this story strikes me as odd, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It doesn't make sense that they would put the child in therapy if they thought she was going to tell on them. Unless it was court mandated because of the prior assaults. Missizzy, do you know if the courts ever mandate therapy treatment in these cases?

On her hi5 page she says she loves any book by VC Andrews and all of those books are basically about incest.

My daughter has read probably every single VC Andrews book and has no history or interest in incest. I don't think you can use reading materials to objectively make an observation about someone. I read lots of crime and mystery books, but I'm not a criminal. LOL

Well, they have screwed this girl (and possibly her siblings too) mind up for the rest of her life. Are they ok with that? I don't get it, personally I used to send our dog out of the room when we were going to -um- get intimate. I didn't even want the dog to watch. And these people are having sex on purpose in front of their kid (s) and making their kids participate. That's just too icky for words. I am glad the kids were removed from the home, hope they are in a good foster situation, and hope the adults involved all go to jail. For no less than 8-10years.
Theres a lot of land in Utah. Maybe they need to build a bigger prison to hold all the peeps who commit these crimes. It would even help the economy as that would create jobs (building and staffing the prison) There are several other states that need more prisons too.

abbie

Belinda--If the man stated above was tried for child sex abuse offenses of this child and pleaded guilty (as alluded to on the MS page), I certainly can see the girl being offered therapy as a victim. That is one of the tenets of victims rights--especially for children.

It sounds to me that this woman chooses men who also abuse her children. She might have not been party to the first rapes. "Might not", but I find that doubtful. Maybe the daughter was just mum about it. Remember, she was also far younger.

Then the girl hit puberty and looks to have become sexualized AND mom has a new husband in the house who was approved to adopt the children (meaning Mike Barry must not have had a record. I think that mom was driving this behavior and encouraging it all along. As the child became sexualized, she might have been more compliant to the abuse. There's been some major grooming going on.

Possibly she wasn't in ongoing therapy but contacted a previous therapist when she was finally sick of the abuse. Also, often times therapists will check in with children a year or so later to see if they can close the case. Children are always given a business card with the therapist's phone number and encouraged to call if they need help.

I still wonder who that grandbaby belongs to and I wonder about names. I realize that we can't post anything about relatives but there's a female relative with a very unique name connected to Penni in some way. Several of her children are not living with her either.

Thanks Missizzy. I couldn't figure out how the therapist was playing into it. These poor poor children. I agree that the mother is probably driving the wheel here and purposely selecting men who will participate in the abuse. Very frightening, the things that are being done to children.

I've got to ask the obvious here. Why would a couple who were raping their child, allow her to attend therapy? That poor little girl. I am so hopeful that a loving foster placement is working to restore a little trust for her. What wicked parents.....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50349117-76/child-daughter-bountiful-couple.html.csp

Bountiful [UT] couple charged with raping daughter

"Prosecutors have charged a Bountiful [UT] couple with raping their daughter.

In 2007, the couple engaged in sex acts with their daughter when she was 11 and 12 years old, charging documents state. The couple, whom The Salt Lake Tribune is not naming in order to protect their daughter’s identity, engaged in sex acts with the child in front of each other and together, the documents state. The information came to light during the child’s therapy session...."

and

"...The girl, along with a younger sister and brother, have been placed in state custody..."

more at link

Good point. The girl is 14 or 15 now, they scare me at that age. You know I'm anti-perv & wouldn't mind the death penalty being imposed for child molestors but something seems off here.
A couple questions come to mind....
Why did they wait til she was 11 or 12 ?
Why did they stop after a year ?
Did the parents put her in therapy for behavioral problems ?

I can't imagine someone who raped a child risking exposure by putting that child in therapy. If they didn't care enough not to rape her, why would they care about her mental well being ?

On her hi5 page she says she loves any book by VC Andrews and all of those books are basically about incest.

I read all the VC Andrew's books too. I even named my daughter Heaven.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back