Being proactive on behalf of Susan

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Just wondering how we as individuals can help to keep Susan's name in the forefront.

Is there an individual in Utah, perhaps the governor, or another arena where a letter writing campaign would help?

With all of the various sites dedicated to her, there must be somewhere to direct the number of people involved in these sites. Because we are from all over the country and the world, this would be the best way to go.

Dec. 6th 2010 as a Remember Susan Cox Powell Day event.

Any ideas? thanks

Just wondering how we as individuals can help to keep Susan's name in the forefront.

Is there an individual in Utah, perhaps the governor, or another arena where a letter writing campaign would help?

With all of the various sites dedicated to her, there must be somewhere to direct the number of people involved in these sites. Because we are from all over the country and the world, this would be the best way to go.

Dec. 6th 2010 as a Remember Susan Cox Powell Day event.

Any ideas? thanks

The problem with Susan's case... as in so many of missing persons....there is no proof of foul play. Granted it's no excuse, but unless there is big stink made and the importance of the knowledge of DV is brought into full focus and paid attention to....it's not going to go away. Her family was unaware of the extent, and the friends didn't bother to mention it to the family either to help remove her the situation. Susan was unaware of the extent of her situation also, thinking she had a quasi plan infused with faith. She should have removed herself first, and then relied on that faith to sustain her along with strong help from her support group. When are women going to realize that they cut their noses off in spite of saving face, and then can't smell the reality of the situation they and their children are in.

IMO, writing letters will either get filed in the round basket or that bin that is left for the next incumbant. A day for Susan will be forgotten by the gist of people on the 7th. You and others who show up at the court house in Susan's name for every DV case will get noticed....along with emails to the local media of your intent. Ya think? But, most people aren't THAT concerned, shamefully. I noticed 51 people had viewed your post, and 2 said thank you. I replied with a suggestion, that will cause a big stink....and most people don't want to do that. So....teach your children....and discuss with freinds to at least make it known in your circle and your community.

There was a foundation started in Susan's name, yet when someone showed up on her F&F FB site stating their DV problem, they didn't point that person to anyone for help, only saying they were sorry for what for they were experiencing.... and the owner of that site is a member of the foundation. ?????

JMO

"But, most people aren't THAT concerned, shamefully. I noticed 51 people had viewed your post, and 2 said thank you. I replied with a suggestion, that will cause a big stink....and most people don't want to do that. So....teach your children....and discuss with freinds to at least make it known in your circle and your community.

There was a foundation started in Susan's name, yet when someone showed up on her F&F FB site stating their DV problem, they didn't point that person to anyone for help, only saying they were sorry for what for they were experiencing.... and the owner of that site is a member of the foundation. ?????" hollyblue

I completely agree with you on this point. One of the issues in the case has been that NIMBY attitude. People don't want to acknowledge that there is a DV issue. For me personally, it was when my ex held a gun to my head and then beat me severely that I even thought about the issue of DV. It was a one time occurance and a lot of people, including him, tried to minimize it....'it will never happen again'. I didn't give that a chance, I left. One of the sorrows for me in this case is that Susan didn't get away. As you said, she trusted too much. jp's actions show that he is/was an abuser. She gave too much leeway.

As for the problem of no evidence, even the Peterson's, Drew and Scott didn't get away. It's time to push jp; there was so much public pressure towards the 2 Petersons, why not toward jp?

Also holly, thank you for your response.

"But, most people aren't THAT concerned, shamefully. I noticed 51 people had viewed your post, and 2 said thank you. I replied with a suggestion, that will cause a big stink....and most people don't want to do that. So....teach your children....and discuss with freinds to at least make it known in your circle and your community.

There was a foundation started in Susan's name, yet when someone showed up on her F&F FB site stating their DV problem, they didn't point that person to anyone for help, only saying they were sorry for what for they were experiencing.... and the owner of that site is a member of the foundation. ?????" hollyblue

I completely agree with you on this point. One of the issues in the case has been that NIMBY attitude. People don't want to acknowledge that there is a DV issue. For me personally, it was when my ex held a gun to my head and then beat me severely that I even thought about the issue of DV. It was a one time occurance and a lot of people, including him, tried to minimize it....'it will never happen again'. I didn't give that a chance, I left. One of the sorrows for me in this case is that Susan didn't get away. As you said, she trusted too much. jp's actions show that he is/was an abuser. She gave too much leeway.

As for the problem of no evidence, even the Peterson's, Drew and Scott didn't get away. It's time to push jp; there was so much public pressure towards the 2 Petersons, why not toward jp?

Also holly, thank you for your response.

I'm glad your a survivor Jacie and passionate about the issue. Just a few thoughts, if a motion was made to pick one day and have women show up at their local court house...to bring awareness in Susan's name to DV, would people do it? 2. Too bad we don't have connections to a jeweler who would design a bracelet or pendant against DV. It would have to be affordable, like sterling, but with proper marketing along with awareness it just might take off. Something that the teens and tweens could be a leader and part of in making a difference and putting a bug in their ear and mind....just need a connection to get it started...???

I like your idea about the jewelry.

Thank you Holly, October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month

http://dvam.vawnet.org/

That may be a start for people to become educated. A reason that I like Joe Biden is that he sponsered the Violence Against Women Act; it is legislation that is still very viable today.

INFO
If you believe that you are a victim of Domestic Violence OR are not sure if what you are experiencing IS Domestic Violence call this number and speak with someone who can HELP YOU, this is done with COMPLETE CONFIDENTIALITY!
THE NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOTLINE
800.799.SAFE (7233)
1.800.787.3224 (TTY)
Anonymous & Confidential Help 24/7
They will direct you to a contact in your area, this is done with COMPLETE CONFIDENTIALITY!
This could save your life or the lives of your children

LINKS TO INFORMATION ABOUT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_bills&docid=f:h3402enr.txt.pdf

http://www.ovw.usdoj.gov/

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_Against_Women_Act[/ame]

I'm glad your a survivor Jacie and passionate about the issue. Just a few thoughts, if a motion was made to pick one day and have women show up at their local court house...to bring awareness in Susan's name to DV, would people do it? 2. Too bad we don't have connections to a jeweler who would design a bracelet or pendant against DV. It would have to be affordable, like sterling, but with proper marketing along with awareness it just might take off. Something that the teens and tweens could be a leader and part of in making a difference and putting a bug in their ear and mind....just need a connection to get it started...???

Snipped:

That may be a start for people to become educated. A reason that I like Joe Biden is that he sponsered the Violence Against Women Act; it is legislation that is still very viable today.

Lived in the Philly/Wilmington area for most of my life....and Joe was the reason Obama got my vote.:)

Snipped:

Lived in the Philly/Wilmington area for most of my life....and Joe was the reason Obama got my vote.:)

I just think he is great, a lot of compassion. I've been to Philly several times on business. The China Town area was really good, excellent restaurants. Also went to a place that had the best cheesesteaks, can't remember the name. What is the name of that big indoor market? Reading Market???

Purple ballons in Puyallup would be interesting. I wonder if those in the complex where jp is hiding would tie purple balloons to their front door handles, trees/bushes and anywhere else outside.

It is so sad that Susan has never been found and I think JP is getting away with murder.
Keep her name out there, call the news, get people on TV, call dateline.
When the name leaves the news, the crime is forgotten and a new crime hits the news.
If my friend, daughter or family member went missing, I would be out of my mind!
I do not know how the loved ones go on with normal life.
I probably would be arrested for stalking JP.

It is so sad that Susan has never been found and I think JP is getting away with murder.
Keep her name out there, call the news, get people on TV, call dateline.
When the name leaves the news, the crime is forgotten and a new crime hits the news.
If my friend, daughter or family member went missing, I would be out of my mind!
I do not know how the loved ones go on with normal life.
I probably would be arrested for stalking JP.

I'd be right there in the jail with you. I tried to talk my husband into going camping in WA state and he said 'NO, he'd have to bail me out'. ;)

thanks for posting :)

Snipped:

I just think he is great, a lot of compassion. I've been to Philly several times on business. The China Town area was really good, excellent restaurants. Also went to a place that had the best cheesesteaks, can't remember the name. What is the name of that big indoor market? Reading Market???

Purple ballons in Puyallup would be interesting. I wonder if those in the complex where jp is hiding would tie purple balloons to their front door handles, trees/bushes and anywhere else outside.

Best cheesesteaks..Pat's or Geno's...sort of a rivialry there. :) You must be thinking of the The Bourse...near all the historic sites. Shopping addictiion starting to itch just thinking about it. My favorite area is Penn's Landing. Always something going on there. If your a history nut like myself, you couldn't ask for more. Within a 50 mile radius it just vast and beautiful. From the Amish to Longwood Gardens...another of my favorites. Paradise..nd in the summer they have mellow concerts. Always wanted to get married there, but chose the top of a giant hill in Jersey. LOL....no wonder it failed.

I don't know if the homeowner's association would allow it....remember the trouble with the ribbons? For a ballon release, they could have a general area, but just for people to release themselves, from their own yard at a specific time would be more convenient. Could be massive, with the same taking place in SLC area. Possiblility of making it wide-spread with the help of the media. Just thoughts..

Now I want to go back to Philly. :) We can go to Geno's and Pat's.

That would be great to have everybody do purple balloon release all over SLC and Puyallup. :balloons:

Best cheesesteaks..Pat's or Geno's...sort of a rivialry there. :) You must be thinking of the The Bourse...near all the historic sites. Shopping addictiion starting to itch just thinking about it. My favorite area is Penn's Landing. Always something going on there. If your a history nut like myself, you couldn't ask for more. Within a 50 mile radius it just vast and beautiful. From the Amish to Longwood Gardens...another of my favorites. Paradise..nd in the summer they have mellow concerts. Always wanted to get married there, but chose the top of a giant hill in Jersey. LOL....no wonder it failed.

I don't know if the homeowner's association would allow it....remember the trouble with the ribbons? For a ballon release, they could have a general area, but just for people to release themselves, from their own yard at a specific time would be more convenient. Could be massive, with the same taking place in SLC area. Possiblility of making it wide-spread with the help of the media. Just thoughts..

I remember that Susan's high school reunion was a few weeks ago [read it on FB]. I wonder what was done there to assist in getting the word out?

I don't think it's a good way to take the pulse, but that's just me. And I'm not even sure it's so much about getting the word out.

It's not over until it's over. I don't think for a second that all those thousands of people who joined the FB page or visited WS when there was news, have forgotten what they learned from this case. I don't come by every single day any more, since there's not much news. I think a lot about places to get out and poke around, that are a very long day's drive from where I live, but also about the depth of mine shafts.

I just think that the skeletons have a way of coming out of closets.

What is the difference between Susan being missing, compared to Lacy and Stacy Peterson and Kyron Horman and countless others? Why is it that the Peterson women are so much better known? Is it that Lacy was pregnant? That Kyron and many other children are young? Was it Drew Peterson’s refusal to speak with media and police? We know that last isn’t true; D. Peterson spoke with anyone and everyone. They couldn’t shut him up.

What is it about the POI that he can just go on with his life? His wife disappears and weeks later he moves out of the home under the guise of economics. He takes the two boys and refuses to let the grandparents, Susan’s family, have any type of relationship with them.

Drew and Scott Peterson have their own WIKI pages. Their wives are and were just as missing as Susan Powell. What is the catalyst that gives Lacy and Stacy the larger public forum? What makes their being missing more ‘newsworthy’ than Susan’s disappearance?

Susan Powell, living or dead, is out there somewhere, as is Stacy and Kyron.

Why, on a national level, is Susan not as known? I’ve asked friends from different parts of the country what they know about Susan; they know more about Kyron and Stacy’s disappearance than Susan’s. I don’t understand the difference.

Yes, skeletons always surface. Why is POI not being focused on as much by national attention the way the Petersons were? Susan is just as important as anyone else; to her two sons even more so.

Each case is so different. In this one, it wasn't just the POI who clammed up. The family supported him and friends helped him fill a huge moving van to head off to WA, and then still offered him help and even rented his house afterwards. That tends to shut down the dialog, don't you think?

I absolutely agree with you.

I'm trying to understand the dynamics of the days/weeks/months after Susan disappeared.

Is it a case of 'this can't happen in our town' mentality?

I'm trying to understand the dynamics of the days/weeks/months after Susan disappeared.

I don't think that and have seen no evidence that is what happened.

Lacy, was pregnant and her husband was having a an affair...very public affair just after she went missing. Drew Peterson is a member of LE...dicodomy of it all. Kyron is a child, who's case also got caught up the adult hanky pankies..which we will become even bigger, imo. Sensationalism.

JMO, but I think the dynamics in her case were a little skewed...the friends and family helped JP, and even the father said to lay off JP in the beginning....remember. Even stated that it was "just Josh" being spontaneous in taking the kids out. They coddled him...along with his own family. Maybe the friends only wanted him out of the area or just be around him for the "infamous" publicity, etc; but it backfired. Many people did not understand it. You can't coddle someone, help them, protect them, per se and then in a few weeks/mos say "Sick um...Go get em, Talk, dang it, etc". It caused confusion and people to say...hey, WTH is going on here. I know it caused me to place a big ? there. They did have knowledge of him being "quirky" and his frivilous spending, behaviors, etc.
And some of her friends knew the kind of control he was placing on Susan, yet did nothing...you'd think they would contact her family at least if he was keeping her from buying nutritional food for the family.

And for some reason, LE dropped any questioning after he lawyered up. They still could have...albeit.. it would have been much more difficult.

The friends and family have done a great job in keeping her name out there, but what they did lack in doing was actually searching for Susan. Everyone was waiting for Spring thaw so Susan would be found, yet, no one, except a few set up any searches for her...and without her body, it appears the case is going nowhere. Some think "someone" abducted her,... which never panned out--- or we definitely would have heard more about it.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back