Why does MSM keep editing their own articles months later?

froginTtown

Reaction score
I keep trying to reference what I have read early on in this case,but when I do, the article has changed...

This article for instance... originally written on June 5th, 2010...
Edited on July 15th, 2010...

No wonder why we can't keep it straight.. :waitasec:

Here is an example..http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html
What did they need to edit after a month??? This is just one example...

to update it with more current and/or new information as it becomes available?

I mean like changing bits and pieces of a previous story they had written...
Editing things that I know damn well I read... ;)
Didn't Terri's mom (Carol) say Terri raised him since he was a baby??
But this "edited version says different since July 15th..
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

This quote by Carol is the only one I've seen. It is still in this article.

"Terri has raised Kyron," her mother said. "She's been with him since he was an infant. She's as much of a mom as the mom is because the parents had separated about the time that Kyron was born."

This quote by Carol is the only one I've seen. It is still in this article.

"Terri has raised Kyron," her mother said. "She's been with him since he was an infant. She's as much of a mom as the mom is because the parents had separated about the time that Kyron was born."

There is no error in her statement, either. We know from the interview with Kaine by the oregonian that he was bringing kyron to see Terri since shortly after his birth, and that Terri and her son moved in with Kaine that December.

I'd prefer that they add a correction to the article, rather than erasing completely what was reported earlier.

I keep trying to reference what I have read early on in this case,but when I do, the article has changed...

This article for instance... originally written on June 5th, 2010...
Edited on July 15th, 2010...

No wonder why we can't keep it straight.. :waitasec:

Here is an example..http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html
What did they need to edit after a month??? This is just one example...

Why not email the writer and ask what was changed?

It may have been adding a live link to the story to provide a jump to another story. There's a link there to "stepmother walked him down the hall".

But--they should clearly state what has been changed, when, and why. I believe that once published, it's published.

However, I recognize that standard is from the old print-only days. I understand that with online media you have the opportunity to update.

IMO, *any* updating needs to include a notation at the bottom stating very clearly what was changed, even if just adding a link to a later story. If a story is changed later to correct an earlier mistake, it needs to be noted. Otherwise, changing after publication is unethical.

I've noticed that sometimes it's not to change anything in the article, but to add a video or links to related articles, but when it's to change info, then it's to correct inaccurate info, or add newly gained related info, or remove info that someone doesn't want publicized and has asked to be removed, etc.

they should definitely reference their work....it's what any good journalist would do...get it? Good - Journalist? Oxy - Moron...

journalists are people too 32....if it weren't for them we wouldn't have a Websleuths

How Rewrites Happen (not to say salient info *hasn't* been excised from early Ky reports)

BUT ... the KGW telephone interview with KH 10-3-2010 where he cautions "patience" ... http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Kaine-Horman-Please-be-patient-about-Kyron-case-104245979.html

I wrote:
Hi, Colin.

“Kaine did say that Desiree’s press conference did do one thing that was unattended – cause confusion.”

Unintended?"

The answer:

"Colin and I will fix it. – Michael Rollins"

Journalists, as do most of us, screw up. The difference is, in this day of e-journajunk, writers can correct their mistakes; ignore their screw-ups; then move on. Quickly. With little or no accountability.

KAT0101? Care to open a thread about triangulation? WTF happened to *that*?

Right. We both know. It went down the rabbit hole of the Internet.

This is the reason. IMHO.

I learned the hard way, that when I bring a link to an old case to make sure to put any updated dates (updates on the article) on the thread. I've not done that and the snippet I provided had been edited and said something completely else LOL.

On topic, yes this is the only reason I have seen that they edit (update) their articles. JMHO.

How Rewrites Happen (not to say salient info *hasn't* been excised from early Ky reports)

BUT ... the KGW telephone interview with KH 10-3-2010 where he cautions "patience" ... http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Kaine-Horman-Please-be-patient-about-Kyron-case-104245979.html

I wrote:
Hi, Colin.

“Kaine did say that Desiree’s press conference did do one thing that was unattended – cause confusion.”

Unintended?"

The answer:

Journalists, as do most of us, screw up. The difference is, in this day of e-journajunk, writers can correct their mistakes; ignore their screw-ups; then move on. Quickly. With little or no accountability.

-

Yes, journalists are people. Honest! Changing a typo -- as in unintended vs. unattended--is one thing. But when they change anything of substance after the fact, they need to clearly state what they changed. I've done breaking news online, for 2 different organizations. And it's easy to add a note if say, I added a link to something new to an older story. I simply added a note at the bottom, just as I do here.

As for triangulation--I think you're thinking about someone else! I don't do triangulation! I'm confused by all that! But someone else has posted an explanation in another thread, and BillyLee also posted cell tower info.

I wrote:
Hi, Colin.

Unintended?"

The answer:

I've read several articles that have been changed, significantly, by media regarding this case. The 8:45 vs. 8:15 time difference originally reported by one outlet of Schreiber's (I think it was) account of that morning, makes a huge difference. But they didn't bother to retract and correct it, they just simply changed it. Leaving anyone who read the original article scratching their head and wondering if they'd gone mad. On the other hand, I posted something once on here and used incorrect verbiage, and I came back and corrected it....twice.... wait, maybe it's been three times now?.....and guess what; most people ignored the correction and/or never bothered to read it further in the thread. And boy, did it cause a lot of people to look up the wrong tree! Soooo, maybe in this day and age of "quick reads", a reporter might be better off just correcting the original report and putting some kind of asterisk with a note at the bottom. IDK, but in defense of the media in this case, they are just like us, with LE releasing so little, and yet being hounded by the public for information, they're just trying to say something and are grasping at every piece of info they can get. JMO

-

Yes, journalists are people. Honest! Changing a typo -- as in unintended vs. unattended--is one thing. But when they change anything of substance after the fact, they need to clearly state what they changed. I've done breaking news online, for 2 different organizations. And it's easy to add a note if say, I added a link to something new to an older story. I simply added a note at the bottom, just as I do here.

As for triangulation--I think you're thinking about someone else! I don't do triangulation! I'm confused by all that! But someone else has posted an explanation in another thread, and BillyLee also posted cell tower info.

Whoa there, Nellie. I, too, am a former journalist. I, too, have won (national, regional and local) awards for investigative stories. We're on the same team here.

Triangulation is basic to "old style" investigative journalism. Three people (sources), with independent testimony, whose information ties together a common lead that can be corroborated by facts.

... And, I agree with you: " But when they change anything of substance after the fact, they need to clearly state what they changed."

Without question. I TOTALLY agree. I'm a mole! Please don't whack me!!!!

Triangulation is basic to "old style" investigative journalism. Three people (sources), with independent testimony, whose information ties together a common lead that can be corroborated by facts.

:thumb:

Whoa there, Nellie. I, too, am a former journalist. I, too, have won (national, regional and local) awards for investigative stories. We're on the same team here.

... And, I agree with you: " But when they change anything of substance after the fact, they need to clearly state what they changed."

Without question. I TOTALLY agree. I'm a mole! Please don't whack me!!!!

OH! You mean 3 sources = triangulation. I thought you were talking about the triangulation of GPS/cellphones/towers from the other thread!

Geez, my editors never used anything fancy like "triangulation". 'Errr, they were more.....basic. Ahem.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Yeah. I know. "You want HOW many fracking sources saying the same thing?"

Happy to be on the same page!!!

I'd prefer that they add a correction to the article, rather than erasing completely what was reported earlier.

Welcome to the age of the internet, in which "information" is not stable. The best thing to do is print a copy of anything important to a case you care about. Sometimes I copy a document to a word file and date it or make a PDF. You might also be able to see the original in a cached version if you do a google search.

While the changes are frustrating, theu are a good reminder that journalism is only "the first draft of history," to quote someone, though I can't recall whom. Newspapers have always corrected themselves, albeit slowly and in print, where it was easy to miss or ignore the correction. Now the old version "disappears." If you have ever done the slog work of going through clip files and microfilm on old cases, you would see how much gets corrected over time--and even how some reporters are more accurate and prescient than others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back