Found Deceased Canada - Owen Rooney, 24, Grand Forks, BC, 14 Aug 2010

2010 Shambhala Music Festival in BC was held Aug 6 to 9:

http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com/tickets.php

at the Salmo River Ranch, Salmo, BC:

A=Salmo
B=Grand Forks
C=Kelowna

Sorry for all the white space below the map ... am just learning how to post screenshots and obviously have a bit to learn here.

SalmoGrandForksKelowna.jpg

Grand Forks is just north of the Canada/US border (the grey line near the bottom of the map ... I have no idea why Yahoo maps shows the route going down into the US because that is not factual).

I wonder if the LEO that picked Owen up was on or off duty, and if Owen told the officer or hospital staff how he got the bruises.

FWIW, Grand Forks and the neighbouring communities of Greenwood and Creston are well-known in BC for having a rather extensive biker population.

Dark mystery of a missing Australian - Owen Rooney
September 13, 2010 12:00AM

THE family of a Sydney man who vanished from a Canadian hospital more than one month ago are at a loss to explain his disappearance.
There has been no trace of 24-year-old Sydney electrician Owen Rooney since he disappeared from the Boundary Hospital in Grand Forks, Canada, on August 14, where he was being treated for facial bruising.
Parents Sharon and Steve have joined the search for Owen.

"We haven't heard anything. My parents are here now. We'll stay until we find him," [his sister] Bree said.

Owen was last seen at a picnic table outside the hospital. He disappeared before he was formally discharged and left his backpack behind. His passport was left behind in his apartment.

Owen's bank accounts and credit cards have not been touched nor has there been any activity on his Facebook page.
Owen had been to the Shambhala Music Festival and was hitching 400km back to Kelowna when he was given a ride by a police officer.

The police officer has told authorities Owen appeared unwell and had bruises on his face so he had advised him to go to hospital.

The police officer had dropped Owen at the Grand Forks bus depot.

Owen made it to the hospital but has not been seen since.

738868-owen-rooney.jpg

Missing Sydney man
Owen Rooney, 24
RS&BBM
Full Article: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/dark-mystery-of-a-missing-australian-owen-rooney/story-e6freuy9-1225919729353

2010 Shambhala Music Festival in BC was held Aug 6 to 9:

http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com/tickets.php

at the Salmo River Ranch, Salmo, BC:

A=Salmo
B=Grand Forks
C=Kelowna

Sorry for all the white space below the map ... am just learning how to post screenshots and obviously have a bit to learn here.
RSBM for space

:dance: Yay SB! So glad to see that finally that pop-up window appeared!

Do you still have my PM with the instructions? You need to open your image with any Image or Graphic Editor program.
Tools > Selection Tools > Rectangle Select (select only the area you want to save)
Image > Crop to Selection
If you want to make image bigger or smaller:
Image > Scale Image
File > Save As

Thanks Valleyboy, you beat me, I was about to post that exact same link :)

Found this other picture of him:
3414586.bin

The family has been plastering small towns in the Kootenay and the Interior, including Grand Forks, Nelson, Osoyoos and Kelowna with posters and missing person pamphlets
Sharron said Rooney had attended the Shambhala Music Festival in Salmo and was trying to make his way back to Kelowna.

He hitched a ride near Christina Lake with a police officer to the Grand Forks bus depot.
It is unlike her son to be involved in a fight, said Sharron.

“He was living at home ‘til he was 22,” she said. “In all that time, he never had a fight ever. He has a very good sense of humour and that’s just not him.”

Rooney, who is in Canada on a working visa, worked at Big White with his sisters over the winter.
Rooney is:
  • 5' 9''
  • 160 lbs
  • short brown hair
  • was last seen wearing a dark shirt and shorts
He has two distinctive tattoos:
  • a tribal-style “O” on his shoulder
  • the Australian-made symbol of a kangaroo in a triangle on the outside of his right leg
Anyone with information is asked to call Grand Forks RCMP at 250-442-8288

Full Article: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Family+pleading+info+about+Aussie+missing+from+Grand+Forks/3469625/story.html

Does anyone know how long he had been living in Kelowna/Canada? My brother lived in Kelowna and was involved in what looks to be the same 'scene' for many years until recently.

It seems odd to me that the police officer noted him (from the video above) 'bleeding from both ears' and simply dropped him at a bus station, two black eyes, sure, but bleeding from both ears?

That makes it sound like a skull fracture, doesn't it?

Does anyone know how long he had been living in Kelowna/Canada? My brother lived in Kelowna and was involved in what looks to be the same 'scene' for many years until recently.

It seems odd to me that the police officer noted him (from the video above) 'bleeding from both ears' and simply dropped him at a bus station, two black eyes, sure, but bleeding from both ears?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...lian-owen-rooney/story-e6freuy9-1225919729353

Owen had been on a working holiday in Canada with Bree and their sister Kelly when he disappeared.l

Owen had worked over the Canadian winter with his sisters at the Big White ski resort. At the end of the season the siblings had parted ways, with Owen deciding to stay in the area and work at a local restaurant while his sisters travelled to Vancouver.

Very strange, I will have to call my brother, that is the resort he lived/worked at as well. It's a very very tight knit group of kids from my experience.

It sounds like whoever assaulted him may have found him at the hospital? I can't imagine that if he just wandered off he would not have been found yet.

Aug 6 to 9 Shambalah Music Festival at Salmo

Post Aug 9 Family believes he hitched a ride to Nelson and somehow made his way from Nelson to Grand Forks, then Christina Lake where they believe the assault occurred.

Aug 12 Had breakfast on Thursday with couple at Yaky Jackie Cafe, Grand Forks

Aug 13 Family says he was okay

Aug 13/14 Owen somehow ended up at Christina Lake (13.9 mi / 17 mins east of Grand Forks). Had 2 black eyes and was bleeding from the ears. !!! LE picked him up and took him to bus depot in Grand Forks.

Aug 14 8:00 pm, disappeared from outside Grand Forks Hospital where he was being treated

Yaky Jackie Cafe, 258 Market, Grand Forks
Greyhound, 7500 Donaldson Drive, RR2, Grand Forks
Boundary Hospital, 7649 22nd St, Grand Forks

Of note is that the hospital is very close to the bus station, which again begs the question, why didn't the officer drive Owen to the hospital instead of the bus depot. Any dodo knows that bleeding from the ears is a very serious medical symptom.

Who said that Owen was paranoid after the festival?

Did Owen leave the hospital, fearing that the person(s) who beat him would know he was there and would find him?

from
http://boundarysentinel.com/node/6937

Rooney was last seen at the Boundary Hospital, where police had dropped him off after picking him up on the highway hitchhiking. RCMP said they saw bruising on him and took him to the hospital, which he voluntarily entered

So which one is it ... was he taken to the bus depot or the hospital ??

from
http://boundarysentinel.com/node/6937

So which one is it ... was he taken to the bus depot or the hospital ??

IDK SB, the logical thiing would have been to drop him off at the hospital.

According to the articles, Owen did made it to the hospital and received treatment, and was last seen at the hospital's picnic area.

It doesn't say that he was bleeding from the ears when the officer saw him, only that he had facial bruising and 2 black eyes. SB, could you please find the quote for me, where the bleeding of the ears is mentioned? or was that in the video?

Three of my many questions:

( 1 ) "What did Owen tell the nurses/doctors at the hospital? Did he give any explanation as how he was injured? or by whom? or where?"
. . . . . (Once my son got a black eye at school, and the doctor at the hospital asked all kinds of questions, he wanted to know all the details.)

( 2 ) "How many days (hours) did he remain at the hospital, and what kind of treatment did he receive?"

( 3 ) "Did Owen left his backpack at the picnic table?"
Owen was last seen at a picnic table outside the hospital. He disappeared before he was formally discharged and left his backpack behind. His passport was left behind in his apartment.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/dark-mystery-of-a-missing-australian-owen-rooney/story-e6freuy9-1225919729353

Editing to add a comment found on the article posted above, which is just a comment (not a fact), and I truly hope that Owen gave a full account of how he was injured/harmed.
Posted at 9:17 AM September 13, 2010

Those who caused the bruises must have kidnapped him and killed him. I hope he said something about those bruises and the reason why he was in the hospital. If he did not want to talk about it, that means the case may involve drugs or mafias. I hope he said something before, that could have been a clue

Comment 3 of 6

Is this one of those "only in Canada" things, like red rose tea and the idea we all live in igloo's??? Just asking as I'm not knowing. IMO, people disappear everyday all over this round ball we are riding around on - people are STRANGE yes they sure are but, missing people even STRANGER.

Posted at 10:34 AM September 13, 2010
I hate to tell you this but it happens a lot in Canada. It may be the wrong time of year for it but still, ask a Canadian what a "starlight walk" is. This looks just like one of them. Their bodies are almost never found. I hope the family can bring in additional help to find him.

Found under this report posted up thread:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...lian-owen-rooney/story-e6freuy9-1225919729353

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OWEN, Where are you?? Please be safe & sound.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back