WA WA - Patti Krieger, 65, Sauk Mountain, 2 Oct 2010

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Woman Missing On Mountain In Skagit County

Skagit County Search and Rescue teams are looking for a missing 65-year old woman on Sauk Mountain who disappeared after she walked away from a group of family and friends.

Overnight, search and rescue teams stayed on the mountain and on Sunday and Monday scoured steep, mountainous terrain and heavy brush looking for Patty Kreiger, who was with her 100 pound Rottweiler, Bear.

[snip]

Kreiger was with a group that was scattering the ashes of her fiance’s parents when she disappeared early Saturday afternoon while walking on a remote mountain trail in Skagit County.

"Patty got a little emotional and walked off," said Les Birtchet, a friend. "They told her, 'Don’t go that way. You’re going down the wrong trail.' Well, they (were) thinking she’s going to turn around and come back."

When she didn’t return, friends started searching and called 911.

More: http://www.kirotv.com/news/25262785/detail.html

SEARCH CALLED OFF FOR MISSING WOMAN ON SAUK MOUNTAIN

The Skagit County Sheriff's office has called off the search for a missing hiker on Sauk Mountain in Skagit County as they no longer think she is on the mountain.

For three days volunteers, search dogs and helicopters have scoured the areas around the Sauk Mountain trail where Patty Kreiger, 65, was last seen when hiking with family members.

They have found no sign of Kreiger or the large Rottweiler dog that was with her.

Police have assigned a detective to the case but they add no foul play is suspected at the moment.

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/F...OFF-FOR-MISSING-WOMAN-ON-SAUK-MOUNTAIN-484553

Police Believe Missing Woman No Longer On Sauk Mountain

Skagit County search and rescue teams called off the search Monday night for a missing 65-year old woman on Sauk Mountain because there is no indication she remains in the area, authorities said.

Patty Kreiger disappeared after she walked away from a group of family and friends Saturday after Kreiger, her fiancé Larry Pressley, and several family members hiked up the mountain to scatter the ashes of Larry's parents.

[snip]

Deputy John Hendrickson said one of the reasons they pulled the plug on the search was because the only scent picked up by dogs leads down the trail, to the parking lot.

“Everything that I know inside me, in my experience tells me that she is not on the mountain,” said Hendrickson. “She had ample time to walk down to the parking lot and catch a ride.”

The deputy said Kreiger could have gotten in a car with a stranger, but Pressley said he knows members of Krieger's family are suspicious of him.

“Now they think I did something wrong. I didn’t,” said Pressley.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/25285449/detail.html

http://www.kirotv.com/news/25285449/detail.html

Family said on the way down, Patty became emotional. She and her 100-pound Rottweiler named Bear veered onto another trail, ignoring their calls to come back.
Since then, Kreiger’s family, fiancé and the Skagit County rescue team combed rough terrain with search dogs while a Navy chopper searched from the air.
But Monday night, the last people to see Krieger alive gathered around a campfire on the mountain said they were devastated to hear rescue teams called off the massive mountain search.

I just wanted to note that this search was called off after 3 days. ]
I know the sheriff felt they had done all they could, but I cannot imagine a woman and her 100 lb Rotweiller dog just disappearing.
If as the sheriff said, she went straight to the parking lot, then who gave her a ride, with the dog?
Why hasn't she called the fiance, her family, if she is home safe and sound?.

I have no idea what happened on the mountain, but I am glad the family will continue to pursue finding her.

first thing I thought of was the woman found in Bellingham (while they were looking for Dwight Clark), an apparent suicide.

according to this item, the woman was wearing hiking boots yet was found on the beach:

http://tinyurl.com/2bu4msg

I have been following Patty's disappearance on the news since Sunday and find it very puzzling. I, too, wonder why if she's left the mountain that she hasn't contacted anyone. It's getting cold at night now if she is still outside.

Search for missing Sauk Mountain hiker called off

[snip]

A detective has now been assigned to the case of Patty Kreiger, 65, who was last seen hiking with friends on Saturday. Deputies say the area they were searching was steep in some areas, but quite small and has little tree cover. They threw so many resources at it that they're convinced they would have found her if she was there.

[snip]

There were some tense moments between Kreiger's family and hiking companions Monday. Relatives were upset that no one contacted police until at least four hours after Kreiger disappeared. During that time, the people she was with went and ate lunch and even bought beer. Pressley has also served time in prison. But police warn everyone not to read too much into any of that.

Police say they assigned a detective to the case to investigate what they might be missing. They still say no foul play is suspected.

If Kreiger is still missing in a week or two, they may return to the mountain and search again.

More: http://www.king5.com/news/local/Search-hiker-missing-on-Sauk-Mountain-104276344.html

Search for missing Sauk Mountain hiker called off

[snip]

A detective has now been assigned to the case of Patty Kreiger, 65, who was last seen hiking with friends on Saturday. Deputies say the area they were searching was steep in some areas, but quite small and has little tree cover. They threw so many resources at it that they're convinced they would have found her if she was there.

[snip]

Police say they assigned a detective to the case to investigate what they might be missing. They still say no foul play is suspected.

If Kreiger is still missing in a week or two, they may return to the mountain and search again.

More: http://www.king5.com/news/local/Search-hiker-missing-on-Sauk-Mountain-104276344.html

Be sure to read the comments on the king5 site after this article. Very interesting...

[/B]

Be sure to read the comments on the king5 site after this article. Very interesting...

comments are interesting. I still would not rule out the woman found in Bellingham, although I suspect they would have made a match by now, unless they are still operating on the assumption she was really on that mountain.

Why stop the searches after just 3 days if the most likely scenario is still that she is lost?!?!?

Search stops for hiker missing in Cascades

The disappearance of a hiker on Sauk Mountain in the North Cascades has left Skagit County searchers questioning whether she’s there.

“The most likely scenario is she wandered off and got lost,” sheriff’s chief deputy Will Reichardt said Tuesday.

[snip]

“There’s some evidence to indicate from the search dogs, maybe she walked out,” Reichardt said. “We have to start dealing with the idea maybe she came off.

“We’re not closed-minded to the possibility there is foul play.”

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/10/06/1370537/search-stops-for-hiker-missing.html#ixzz11dIsIQXC

Why stop the searches after just 3 days if the most likely scenario is still that she is lost?!?!?

Search stops for hiker missing in Cascades

The disappearance of a hiker on Sauk Mountain in the North Cascades has left Skagit County searchers questioning whether she’s there.

“The most likely scenario is she wandered off and got lost,” sheriff’s chief deputy Will Reichardt said Tuesday.

[snip]

“There’s some evidence to indicate from the search dogs, maybe she walked out,” Reichardt said. “We have to start dealing with the idea maybe she came off.

“We’re not closed-minded to the possibility there is foul play.”
Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/10/06/1370537/search-stops-for-hiker-missing.html#ixzz11dIsIQXC

I am going to use a word that I see used frequently here...HINKY....Something is not right about this whole disappearance:waitasec:

In a week or two on the mountain alone she will not be in any condition to return home! This seems so out of character, normally they do search and rescue for a week or more before finding a person or calling off the search! Poor Patty!

In a week or two on the mountain alone she will not be in any condition to return home! This seems so out of character, normally they do search and rescue for a week or more before finding a person or calling off the search! Poor Patty!

maybe LE's way of tacitly acknowledging that she might not have been on the mountain when she disappeared.

maybe LE's way of tacitly acknowledging that she might not have been on the mountain when she disappeared.

I see, so she was never on the mountain, never got there.
Or someone knows who took her away from the mountain?

I see, so she was never on the mountain, never got there.
Or someone knows who took her away from the mountain?

who knows? the chatter from the local news links questioned whether she was ever up on the mountain. chatter is just that but it is strange, is it not, that a whole group allows a senior citizen, who was supposedly unprepared for hiking, to go off on her own from a mountain?

The dogs on the mountain found her scent and tracked it... Something is hinky but at this point I'd still say she was on the mountain at some point.

I must have missed that part Idaho. still strange that they let this woman walk away from them with a rottweiler (I hope I got the breed right).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back