4 deaths prompt Graco stroller recall

Dark Knight

Reaction score
WASHINGTON – Baby gear maker Graco is recalling about 2 million strollers after receiving reports that four infants died in the strollers.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission, which announced the recall Wednesday, said the four infants became trapped inside the strollers and were strangled. The deaths occurred between 2003 and 2005.

The strollers being recalled are older versions of the Graco Quattro Tour and MetroLite strollers and travel systems, all made before 2007 and distributed by Graco Children's Products Inc. of Atlanta.

More information on the model numbers involved in the recall can be found at the company's website, http://www.gracobaby.com.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_graco_stroller_recall

This is not the first Graco product recall, they have also had cribs and other strollers recalled. I don't think I'd be using their products if I had a child, MOO.

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of product recalls. It appears, at least to me, that many of the injuries/deaths are due to user error or not paying attention. I am NOT saying this is the case in all situation. The article in the OP mentions the problem being if children are not strapped in properly, they can slide down and ended up being strangled. To me, the key is not being strapped in properly. Since 2008, there now has to be more room between the seat and the tray for safety reasons. So, IMO, this means the kid who was strapped in wrong will now fall out and hit the ground rather than getting stuck. Still, the kid will probably sustain injuries, just not as dramatic. But people will still be upset about the kid falling out. If there is a defect in a product, that's one thing, recall it. But people have to realize all of the things out today are not ever going to be 100% safe. You have to learn how to appropriately use whatever product you have.

Rant over, sorry. As I said, there are certain instances where recalls are warranted. There are also instances where something happened and it had nothing to do with user error. I was just speaking to the things that come across that way to me.

When I read the article, I said to my husband "if they were strapped in, it wouldn't have happened". Apparently I am not alone is this thinking;) I understand accidents happen, and forgetfulness happens too. But really, how in the world can you make a stroller completely safe, even if used wrong? I mean, a bigger space, the child can fall and get a life threatening head injury. Smaller, they strangle, no tray, they flip forward.... I hope that there are no more injuries.... But let the be a lesson to everyone, use products the correct way everytime!

My child was buckled correctly in a high chair, and I turned my back, she got herself standing, and flipped the whole darn thing onto the ground, resulting in a concussion at 8 mos old, as well has a lot of bruising. The ped that treated her, reported the injury to the company, however it was honestly just an accident! I dont see how a recall could have made the chair any safer, it was MY fault that I turned my back on my child that was learning to stand. Sorry for the O/T ;)

I think my post sounds like its blaming the parents, I dont mean that at all!!!!!!!! I just cant think of another way to design baby products... kwim? I have my greatest sympathies to the families that have lost their children :( And I don't doubt that these were just tragic accidents.... And I'm glad that graco is trying to solve the problem!

Thank you mommy23 for your replies, I was beginning to think I scared everyone away!! I know it is impossible to watch a child 24/7, I have a child. There is no way to have your eyes on a kid at all times. Accidents do happen. Sometimes, as parents, we do not use things correctly. Most times, the few seconds your eyes are off your child or the few times you use something incorrectly do not result in serious injury or death. We are lucky. But sometimes, they do. It has to be devastating as a parent. It's not that I'm laying blame on the parents, just as you were not. It's that I'm not laying blame on the companies. As I said previously, there are some instances where a product is defective. That is a company product. But, as you said, they cannot make things to be safe in every situation, even when used wrong. I think I got where you were coming from, and I think it's the same place I was. Not blaming the parents, but not blaming the company either. Thank you for being willing to post. I appreciate it.

I am glad I am not alone in our thinking ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back