2010.10.20 - PI Lyons Accused of Witness Tampering

nums24

Praying for Justice!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
P.I. Accused Of Witness Tampering In Casey Case

http://www.wftv.com/goinggreen/25455422/detail.html

Defense private investigator Jeremy Lyons is being accused by two EquuSearch volunteers of trying to change their testimony about searching the scene where Caylee"s remains were later found. One has already been deposed by the defense and the other has given a statement to investigators.

Lyons was in court recently examining EquuSearch records. He keeps a low public profile, but behind the scenes, he's talking to EquuSearch volunteers who are not happy about it.

Brett Churchill and Brett Reilly, both prosecution witnesses in Casey Anthony's murder case, feel Lyons was trying to get them to change their testimony.

Was there ever a doubt that this would eventually happen? I honestly think it's not only possible, but very probable; that the defense is doing this carp on purpose and it has appeal written all over it. jmo
I believe at this point; getting an appeal on the grounds of ineffective counsel is their ultimate goal. Again this is just my opinion.

Sounds to me like he is operating as if he were a police officer and not a PI. I don't know the rules for PI's and I don't know if it is permissible for him to tell one person that another said something they didn't say in order to elicit a different story or what he deems to be the "truth." I guess what I am trying to say is that a police officer, investigating a crime, can tell two suspects that the other person implicated them or that they have confessed and they should do the same...in other words, work one person against another. But in this case, these people are witnesses so it is entirely a different thing.

Sounds to me like he is operating as if he were a police officer and not a PI. I don't know the rules for PI's and I don't know if it is permissible for him to tell one person that another said something they didn't say in order to elicit a different story or what he deems to be the "truth." I guess what I am trying to say is that a police officer, investigating a crime, can tell two suspects that the other person implicated them or that they have confessed and they should do the same...in other words, work one person against another. But in this case, these people are witnesses so it is entirely a different thing.

No, he can not behave in that manner.

From the article:

'WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer says the defense investigator is traveling through dangerous territory.

"The statute specifically says you cannot engage in misleading conduct," Sheaffer said."

Jeez!! Is the Judge going to put his foot down on this defense team now?!

No, he can not behave in that manner.

From the article:

'WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer says the defense investigator is traveling through dangerous territory.

"The statute specifically says you cannot engage in misleading conduct," Sheaffer said."

Jeez!! Is the Judge going to put his foot down on this defense team now?!

Thanks! Well, that seems to settle it then. Now, let's see if something is done about their behavior. Finally!

I saw that on the news just a about an hour ago. Even the news only had a shot of him from the back. What a slippery guy. I feel for those two guys they had on the news. Well anyone who comes in contact with him.

I thought HHBP said the defense could not talk to any of the searchers except for the ones he okayed personally. I would assume that would include their PI.

Oh I am sooooo happy right now I could bust! Here comes a train load of justice for Caylee. The fact that they have to stoop to these levels shows how desperate they really are. They've got nothing, and they're going down when they try unscrupulous methods.

Looking forward to some great face from HHJBP at the next status hearing.

May I ask some questions on this? Just to keep it all together in the thread. How do Brett Churchill and Bret Reilly know each other? The article says they both told this to WFTV, but does that mean they got together and took this information to the media? If Lyons told Churchill that Reilly said this and that, then Churchill must have consulted Reilly to find out whether this and that were actually said by Reilly, yes? No indication in the article of when this occurred, when the gentlemen "told investigators". Just looking to fill in some holes, if anybody knows the answers.

Hands up if this one is even moderately a surprise....

I saw that on the news just a about an hour ago. Even the news only had a shot of him from the back. What a slippery guy. I feel for those two guys they had on the news. Well anyone who comes in contact with him.

Isn't this the guy who came to your door fla*mom? I got the feeling even though you didn't specifically say so - that he was pretty shifty and a smooth operator, that you had to really watch what you said so it wouldn't be misinterpreted.:waitasec:

May I ask some questions on this? Just to keep it all together in the thread. How do Brett Churchill and Bret Reilly know each other? The article says they both told this to WFTV, but does that mean they got together and took this information to the media? If Lyons told Churchill that Reilly said this and that, then Churchill must have consulted Reilly to find out whether this and that were actually said by Reilly, yes? No indication in the article of when this occurred, when the gentlemen "told investigators". Just looking to fill in some holes, if anybody knows the answers.

I don't think the news cast said how they knew each other. They may have been friends to begin with. I have no idea really. The guy is something else.

They are both TES searchers, Churchill identified Reilly as someone that OCSO would want to interview.

Brett Churchill Transcript: http://www.wftv.com/pdf/22918425/detail.html

Brett Reilly Transcript: http://www.wftv.com/pdf/22918362/detail.html

I don't think the news cast said how they knew each other. They may have been friends to begin with. I have no idea really. The guy is something else.

The news clip does say they are both prosecution witnesses, so maybe if they didn't know each other before, they may have met when they did the Suburban search, and met again as they were giving their statements to the prosecution. I guess if there are only 32 of you in a relatively high profile case - you may want to speak to each other to talk about the case, or how to avoid the media, or when the Defense will come after you - isn't that allowed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back