Identified! SC - Columbia, Wht/HispMale, 20-40, Dreher Shoals, Oct'10 - Daniel Swindler

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by: summermood32, moved here for discussion...

Do these clothes look familiar?

Lexington County authorities are asking for the public's help in identifying human remains found just below the Dreher Shoals Dam in a spillway on the Saluda River on Wednesday.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department at 785-2400.

"the remains are of a man of white or mixed race who stood between 5'3" to 5'5" tall, weighed between 150 and 179 pounds, was likely between 20 and 40 years old, and had no prominent scars or tattoos."

The photo shows a rather unusual red backpack -- would like to know if that's leather or nylon. The photo looks like leather.

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2010/10/22/1525691/do-these-clothes-look-familiar.html#ixzz13Bwn4M7R

Looks more like finely woven nylon or other synthetic to me, especially in the piping around the flap, that looks designed to stop fraying. And it looks... how to say this... slightly vintage? Anything from mid eighties through to late nineties, although I could be wrong on that or it could be an exception of some sort. Current mass-market backpacks and schoolbags tend to be coarse textured woven synthetic, and have much more chunky and obvious zipper hardware. And with regards to size and design I would have to say this looks like a backpack designed for a young teen or older pre-teen to be hauling around a day's supplies, not a serious travelling packpack.

I wonder whether it was bought by him or his family when it was a new item, or bought later at a thrift shop?

Looks more like finely woven nylon or other synthetic to me, especially in the piping around the flap, that looks designed to stop fraying. And it looks... how to say this... slightly vintage? Anything from mid eighties through to late nineties, although I could be wrong on that or it could be an exception of some sort. Current mass-market backpacks and schoolbags tend to be coarse textured woven synthetic, and have much more chunky and obvious zipper hardware. And with regards to size and design I would have to say this looks like a backpack designed for a young teen or older pre-teen to be hauling around a day's supplies, not a serious travelling packpack.

I wonder whether it was bought by him or his family when it was a new item, or bought later at a thrift shop?

I agree with you about the appearance. It looks almost like the kind of backpack that was designed to appeal to women as a substitute for a purse. It doesn't even look sturdy enough to carry books around.

I had a back pack that was sorta similar to the one in question. I had it in 6th grade so it was 1998ish. It wasn't the normal canvas material. It was sort of like leather, except harder, and it had a kind of 'cracked' appearance to it, yet when touched, it still felt soft. The one I had was black with a brown flap. Underneath the flap of mine, was a drawstring to close the bag, and the drawstring had a little canister on it to hold it in place. The two bottom pockets of mine had the flap as well and those closed with a snap (like on jeans). That one doesn't appear to have that feature. Also, my back pack had different straps. That one looks like it has the normal black end tag of woven thicky stuff. I explained that badly, didn't I? Anyway, maybe because mine was a girly bag it had thinner straps with out the little belt you can wrap around yourself and click together like a seatbelt.

And you guys are right.. it was not a good backpack for carrying books. None of my textbooks would even fit with the bottom cardboardy piece in it, and without that, the whole bag was malformed.

I cant see a picture of this backpack can someone post it?

101022063253_clothing-web-4.jpg

There are photos in the top right corner, they rotate.
http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=103643&catid=2

At first glance I thought the reconstruction was a woman but yes, they're still saying it's a male.

alex_jeremy_ted.jpg
14034692_BG1.jpg
alex_jeremy_ted2.jpg
alex_jeremy_ted3.jpg

I see some resemblance and he disappeared with a red backpack. Jeremy is a little taller than the UID estimate. The 2010 UID sounds recently deceased if they can tell he had no scars or tattoos so who knows if Jeremy would still have a red backpack six years after going missing in 2004.

alex_jeremy_ted.jpg
14034692_BG1.jpg
alex_jeremy_ted2.jpg
alex_jeremy_ted3.jpg

I see some resemblance and he disappeared with a red backpack. Jeremy is a little taller than the UID estimate. The 2010 UID sounds recently deceased if they can tell he had no scars or tattoos so who knows if Jeremy would still have a red backpack six years after going missing in 2004.

The height is a little off, but I would submit based on the backpack - just to be sure.

I just saw Jeremy's case profiled on Discovery ID a few weeks ago. One thing worth mentioning is that supposedly Jeremy travelled a lot, he was a very adventurous spirit. He had used his mother's home in Maine as kind of a "home base" during his traveling years. From what I remember he had settled down with a girlfriend and they had just bought a house and were in the process of moving in. Jeremy came to the old house that day where the girlfriend was, and was paranoid and freaking out and not making a lot of sense and she got scared and he left. He had originally been planning to take some furniture over to the new house, and I think when she finally went to the new house she saw that he had unloaded the furniture he had taken with him, so he must have made it there at some point. Then the two sightings of him, one running into the woods, and one crossing Route 1. If I remember right, the motorist who saw him crossing Route 1 remembered him because he crossed twice - back and forth - and she found that odd.

There is a strange twist to this story that wasn't featured in the Disappeared episode. Jeremy's ID washed ashore in Northport, Maine some time later. You can read about it here:

http://strangemaine.blogspot.com/2011/02/mystery-of-jeremy-alex.html

Is anyone interested in submitting Jeremy's name? I will usually email them if I find an email but I was only able to find a phone number. I'm not really comfortable calling them as I feel it's a somewhat random guess. The phone numbers I found were from the news site: "Anyone with information is asked to contact the Lexington County Sheriff's Department at (803) 785-2400 or call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back