Jumbo jet's low fly-by over Golden Gate Bridge-too much like 9/11

Velouria

Reaction score
Here's one for the "WTH were they thinking??" file.

They didn't bother notifying the public in advance that this "aerial display" would be taking place. Bad move.

Betcha someone at United Airlines public relations is looking for a new job right about now...

Jumbo jet's low fly-by over San Francisco during airshow slammed for being too much like 9/11 attack on New York

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:09 AM on 20th October 2010

An airshow stunt in San Francisco - which saw a jumbo jet fly low over the city - has drawn criticism from people who said it was too reminiscent of the September 11 attack on New York.

The low fly-by at the weekend was part of the Fleet Week 2010 airshow, which features aerial displays by military aircraft.
The United Airlines 747-400 was one of the few non-military aircraft involved in the display and, while many were thrilled by the big plane's low pass - which featured it flying over the Golden Gate Bridge - others were disturbed and angered.

On San Francisco-based blog site The BAT, Thomas Meehan wrote: 'As a father who lost a daughter on September 11, 2001, at the WTC, this photo op and stunt rates right up there with the Pentagon photo shoot of Air Force One in New York City... stupid, stupid, stupid.
'Even after nine years the images of planes as weapons of death and destruction can still evoke pain, terror, and heartbreak. These people need serious professional help.'
Mr Meehan was referring to the April 2009 photo stunt by the U.S. Air Force, where a lookalike back-up plane for the one regularly used by the president flew low over parts of New York and New Jersey.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...co-airshow-draws-like-9-11.html#ixzz13BwoCf6K

(photos and video at link)

If it was in the middle of Fleet Week, and was a planned part of the demonstration, I honestly don't see an issue with it. I can imagine it brings back some horrific memories for some families, but I found the video of it wonderful.

This is quite different than AF1 with a fighter in tow buzzing NYC; and it is quite different from 9/11. This was part of a planned, coordinated demonstration, carried out wonderfully, and shows the amazing power of the 747-400...and the skill of the captain.

I am sorry that some folks found it disturbing; I can understand why, and my heart breaks for everyone who lost someone that horrific day.

Best-
Herding Cats

What better time to pull off an aerial terrorist attack than in the middle of an airshow? I would have been terrified to see that.

We should probably just get rid of airplanes altogether and then we wouldn't need to worry ourselves about them being loaded with terrorists.

It was Fleet Week, there were dozens of events planned including the air show. There was tons of publicity ahead of time.

http://www.fleetweek.us/Air_Show.html

San Francisco Fleet Week
October 7 - 12, 2010
Live Air Show

THURSDAY - Begins with the Blue Angels Circle & Arrival Maneuvers, and other team practice between 1:00pm -5:00pm

FRIDAY-Practice day beginning at 1:00 pm and ending with the Blue Angels at 3:00-4:00pm

SATURDAY-Full Air Show beginning at 1:00 and ending with the Blue Angels at 3:00-4:00pm

SUNDAY- Full Air Show beginning at 1:00 and ending with
the Blue Angels at 3:00-4:00pm

The Air Show included:

The United States Navy Blue Angels

Sean D. Tucker and Team Oracle

United Airlines 747

John Klatt presented by the Air National Guard

Tim Weber presented by Geico

USCG HH-64 Demonstation Helicopter

The F/A-18 Super Hornet

H-60 CSAR Combat Search & Rescue Helicopter

F-16 Vipers

Patriot Jet Demonstration Team

And, the other events:

http://www.fleetweek.us/Calendar.html

What better time to pull off an aerial terrorist attack than in the middle of an airshow? I would have been terrified to see that.

Not me!!! I live in a military (Navy) town and we are very used to having these shows, including the Blue Angels (who, by the way, we NO longer have due to their demands about housing!) It COULD, of course, happen that way but it could also happen that a stranger shoots me through my window. I'm getting tired of the paranoia. My husband is forced to spend the night on base when security tightens. I miss him dearly on those nights. I have worried many nights for NO reason. I say, let the flights go on; let us be neighbors with our military FRIENDS!!!! Heck, seriously? I have seen so much, I would have been standing there cheering!

Actually, no, that'd be a rotten time. Imagine the AC that the shows have...each and every craft accounted for at all times, x4 or x5. Which would mean that the instant something was not right on their radar, it would be dealt with. Too many eyes watching for not-o.k. things would make it a really bad time, imho.

There are lots of other times that an attack could be pulled off, but in the middle of Fleet Week, not so much.

But I respect your opinion. I see video of 9/11, and still it's like a whack over my head, or a heart attack...and I still grieve for everyone and everything that happened that day.

Best-
Herding Cats

I didn't see anything worth all this hubbub. It looked like a well done maneuver and I bet was a beautiful thing to watch in person.

I agree with those who don't see the problem. Lots of publicity surrounding Fleet Week. If someone doesn't pay attention to local events, maybe they wouldn't know about it, but it's not the organizers fault. I don't consider an air show maneuver insensitive either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smartowl
Back