Identified! SC - Aiken Co., Skeletal remains, Oct'10 - Jasper Jefferson

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
AIKEN COUNTY [South Carolina] (WACH) -- A full set of skeletal remains was discovered near Highway 19 north, just north of Union Baptist Church Rd in Aiken County at around noon Saturday.

<snip>

According to Carlton, all efforts will be made to identify this person but it could take a long time because the remains may have been at the location for 10-20 years.

more here

http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/story.aspx?id=530404

I wish the article would have noted if the remains appeared to be a child or (young) adult as there are threads on WS for missing people, including little Tilwanda Cheatham.

Two possibles from the area:

Lisa Shuttleworth
shuttleworth_lisa.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/shuttleworth_lisa.html

Tilwanda Denise Cheatham

cheatham_tilwanda.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cheatham_tilwanda.html
Her home on Jack Jones Street is only a mile away from where the bones were found.

I was looking along the roadside using Google Maps Street-View. I found some scattered debris that might be bones, and something red among the debris (I doubt Tilwanda's Red tee-shirt would last that long). There is also a bare spot in the soil. Perhaps an animal unearthed a shallow grave. You really can't tell for sure, but this could be the remains.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Union...=oLGrR_L36Sv-ZVks_Dfu1g&cbp=12,65.49,,1,18.98

Human skeleton found off Edgefield Hwy in Aiken County
Investigators are trying to identify human remains found Saturday morning in Aiken County. The coroner believes the bones are 15-20 years old.
Reporter: STAFF, Ryan Calhon
NEWS 12, WRDW.com 12.1 AUGUSTA

Link to the article:

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/Body_found_off_Edgefield_Hwy_in_Aiken_County_105599043.html

The Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton says the skeleton may have been on the side of the road for 10 to 20 years until Rashawn Ferrer found it Saturday.
He says the skeleton sat behind tall trees that blocked the spot from Edgefield Highway but he says he couldn't tell it was a real body at first when he saw the shoes on the skeleton.
"I was bent over when I first seen the shoes," he said. "And as I looked at the shoes I seen some black pants and then I seen the shirt and then I seen the skull."

Looks like the bones and clothing would have been scattered by animals and weather over 15-20 years time and the clothing would have decayed in the elements. Is it possible that the remains were put there more recently?

I would think that pants would not last for 20 years in the open, especially in a humid climate, such as SC/GA.

From the description, (1) it doesn't appear to be Tilwanda, and (2) the debris in the previously posted Google Street-view doesn't appear to be the remains.

Lisa Shuttleworth was wearing pink or grey sweatpants. Could grey be confused for black?

some new info

Aiken Co. skeletal remains are that of a man, but no identification yet

Reporter: Staff
Email Address: newsroom@wrdw.com

Monday, October 25, 2010

AIKEN COUNTY, S.C.---Skeletal remains discovered this past Saturday still have not been identified. Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton says a partial identification concluded the remains to be that of a six foot man. There is evidence of dental work.

The coroner says autopsy results on the remains revealed no evidence of significant injury or trauma. There was no evidence of foul play.

Several calls to the coroner's office and the sheriff's office have produced some leads, but Carlton says they are currently following up to obtain medical and dental records on several of the leads.

He says either dental records or DNA will be the only conclusive way to identify the remains at this time.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/Skeletal_remains__105738658.html

I did a search at Namus for males 5'10" - 6'2" last known alive in SC and wearing black pants.

I did between Oct 1990 and Oct 2001 and came up with these 2 results:

link did not work, sorry

the second man, however, had an amputated leg so I doubt he is a match.

I did a search at Namus for males 5'10" - 6'2" last known alive in SC and wearing black pants.

I did between Oct 1990 and Oct 2001 and came up with these 2 results:

link did not work, sorry

the second man, however, had an amputated leg so I doubt he is a match.

Aiken is right on the border with Georgia, so you may want to check GA also. Thanks so much!

i thought this was interesting considering they thought the bones might have been 10 - 20 years old....

"Initially the remains were thought to have been there for decades, but the investigation showed that Jefferson was known to be alive on or about May-June of this year.

Jefferson, whose last known address was on Hampton Avenue in Aiken, had never been reported as missing."

Looks like the bones and clothing would have been scattered by animals and weather over 15-20 years time and the clothing would have decayed in the elements. Is it possible that the remains were put there more recently?

Lucy's Mom - I questioned how old the remains were before they were identified. Don't know how they came up with him being there for decades!

The article said that the remains were identified from dental records from the Georgia Dept of Corrections so he may have run with a bad crowd.

i thought this was interesting considering they thought the bones might have been 10 - 20 years old....

"Initially the remains were thought to have been there for decades, but the investigation showed that Jefferson was known to be alive on or about May-June of this year.

Jefferson, whose last known address was on Hampton Avenue in Aiken, had never been reported as missing."

calls into question all the dating of skeletal remains if they were that far off here.

Yep, and Carl also pointed out that the pants would not be in tact if they were there for that considerable amount of time. Wonder just how many other types of these inaccurate statements are out there....throws everything about the investigations way off. IMO

The moral to the story is that LE doesn't care what happened to Jasper. I guess he must have simply curled up in a grove of trees to die alone like a sick animal. I didn't put those links up there to give you reason to turn a blind eye to Jasper. I just wanted to show you why a gap of 10-20 years or a few months doesn't matter in this case. Jasper was invisible long before he was dead in the field.

I don't believe he just fell over in that spot and died. He wasn't ON the road, he was several yards off the road, through a grove of tall trees, in the field. He was across the street from 1163 Edgefield Hwy, the only house in the vicinity. He obviously had issues, my guess is that those issues involved too much alcohol or drugs. I tend to think, after the charge in May, perhaps someone was a little bitter about that 'injury' to their 'personal property.'

Godspeed Jasper.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back