TX TX - Melissa LeSueur, 35, Dallas, 10 June 2007

GypsyPrincess

Reaction score
Let me start by saying hello. I think the things you are doing on this site are absolutely wonderful.

Hope this is not a duplicate thread.

Melissa LeSueur was picking wildflowers with a friend in a field near her East Dallas home. Her friend left to get bug spray. When her friend returned, Melissa's car, a 1993 blue Trailblazer was gone and so was Melissa. Her body was later found near Seagoville Highschool. A witness claims to have heard gun shots and I also found somewhere that a witness (not sure if same one) saw a man driving Melissa's vehicle.

Now... I can't seem to find much information on this case. I read somewhere that a man and son were found selling her vehicle and were arrested, but have not ever been charged with her murder. This case really irks me, as there seems to be enough evidence to move forward and potentially solve the case, but it isn't happening.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Link: http://www.causes.com/causes/376697/about

From the little info available it sounds like a carjacking

Thanks for posting the link. It bothers me that they have evidence, suspects, a witness, and yet can't wrap up the case. So frustrating!!!

I agree. And it is so frustrating to think that someone knows what happened, was involved and is permitted to roam free in society. I like to think that as technology improves and people that are 'in the know' get antsy, something will surface and eventually LE will get the break they need to figure it out. That could be wishful thinking, but lets hope.

Feature article from October 2015:

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/cold-cases/part3.html

LeSueur’s vehicle was found days later after a man crashed it into a home in the 3100 block of Bryan Street in Old East Dallas. But the driver fled before authorities could question him. Detectives found fingerprints that came back to James Maloy, a homeless drug addict. But Maloy was black...

He told police a white man sold him the vehicle at an East Dallas gas station for drugs. He identified the man as Stephen Rigdon, the father of a man who knew LeSueur. Stephen Rigdon and his son Jeff Rigdon were brought in for questioning. First Stephen Rigdon, a long-time drug abuser, according to police, accused his son of killing LeSueur. But Stephen told police she had been stabbed, then that she had been hit with a baseball bat. Police knew that was wrong...

Melissa’s former roommate, Brian Hunter... faced a charge of criminal mischief after LeSueur had accused him of slashing her tires after an argument. She told police he had also sent her threatening voicemails and emails after vandalizing her car...

Ermatinger, a 31-year veteran of the Dallas Police Department, said everyone remains a suspect, including the friend last seen with LeSueur and Maloy. Neither the friend nor the Rigdons could be reached for comment. And Hunter died in 2013 while in police custody on an unrelated charge, adding yet another frustrating twist to solving LeSueur’s case.

Parents Seek Answers in Nearly Decade-Old Cold Case

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Parents-Seek-Answers-in-Nearly-Decade-Old-Cold-Case-400875311.html

It's been more than nine years since Dallas Police detectives discovered Melissa LeSueur's body behind a southeast Dallas school. Her murder investigation has gone cold.

"It's like you read when the mob kills somebody. That's what I thought – they had to shoot her twice – I thought, 'Well, why?'" said Melissa LeSueur's mother, Jean Powell.

On the day of her murder, her car was stolen but eventually found and wiped clean. Then, a witness tip helped investigators hone in on several people.

"They've tried so many times to get a confession and they can't do it," Don Powell said.

Over the years police have questioned several persons of interest and say everyone remains a suspect, but to this day have no concrete evidence. Don Powell is almost 80 years old, and his wife is just a few years younger. They're slowing down as the years pass, but remain determined for justice before it's too late.

"I hope in my lifetime that someone is caught, but I'm beginning to doubt it," said Jean Powell.

I just saw an episode of The First 48 on this story. They have their suspects but not enough to go on. Here is a link to the transcripts for the episode. I am surprised this one hasn't been solved yet.

The other day I watched that episode again. A few minutes ago I read the newer articles that are posted above:
Parents Seek Answers in Nearly Decade-Old Cold Case

Cold Cases: Who killed Melissa LeSueur? Mom fears she’ll never know

Four primary suspects (Steven Rigdon, Jeff Rigdon, James Maloy and Brian Hunter) were mentioned in both the show and one of the articles. It seems to me that Brian Hunter is the most likely culprit, but he died in 2013.

Sadly, this case may never be solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back