Unfairly being evicted for shooting opossums

tybee204

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/082304/2391328.shtml

Unfairly being evicted for shooting opossums

As I sat in my bedroom watching television I was startled to see an opossum emerge from my dryer vent. The animal showed no natural fear of me, and upon searching the second bedroom of my apartment I realized there were two opossums in my residence.

One seemed rabid and when it made an aggressive move toward me I was forced to shoot it. I went looking for the second opossum and found it in my dining room. I was forced to shoot it as well.

I called 911 immediately after and later had a police report written. No fault was found in my actions; no charges were filed and no citations given.

That evening I notified the apartment community personnel but nothing was done to prevent more opossums from entering the apartment for three days.

My landlord did give me a 30-day notice of eviction for using a firearm inside my apartment to kill the opossums since it is illegal to fire a weapon inside city limits, except in cases of self-defense.

I'm a licensed firearm owner and certified safe hunter. There was no damage to the apartment. I feel I'm being discriminated against by having the ability, means and need to protect myself from animals that may have had rabies.

The management at my complex is using a city ordinance out of context to evict a law-abiding tenant. Would they proceeding with an eviction if my intruder had been a burglar?

..you make an excellent point...if it had been a burgler you would have had the right to protect yourself. laws vary on even shooting the burgler, sometimes you have to show you were in fear for your life and had no avenue of escape. i do understand ordinance about discharge of firearm in residence or in most areas within so many feet of a dwelling. i think you should fight this on the grounds you were in fear of rabies, and the fact you called LE right away is to your credit. caveat...a judge COULD say you should have left the residence and called LE to remove critters. :doh: i just noticed the link...i thought it was YOU that shot the critters Tybee!!!

Maybe he can get Gloria Alred to represent him so he can keep his apartment.

'possum's can be pretty scary... especially if they're big!

LOL not me . I am one of those Million MOM Marchers......Only thing i shoot off is my mouth.

I had a possum in my garage the other day. My hubby shooed it out with a big pointy stick! It had very scary teeth and that long rat tail!11 Eeeewwww!

I can certainly understand shooting the things in my house.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbtgurlz
Back