2010.10.11 - "Red Goo Glove" found on Baker property

I have a really bad feeling that this glove is a MAJOR piece of evidence. It was found IIRC very early on - then we never heard another word. It could very well be part of why the investigation changed to homicide in just 3 days.

We'll have to wait and see on this.

Well since they found a bone it makes perfect sense

Do we know that LE actually have this glove in their possession? I recall the neighbor saying he found a glove like that, but I don't recall ever hearing him say when that was. For all I know, he could have found it days or even weeks before Zahra was ever reported missing, and if that's the case, he might well have throw it out.

Yes, LE has it.
Charles Rotenberry, a friend of the family, called police after finding a glove in the bushes near the Baker’s backyard.
“It had a bad smell to it and there was just red goo all in it,” he says.

I have a really bad feeling that this glove is a MAJOR piece of evidence. It was found IIRC very early on - then we never heard another word. It could very well be part of why the investigation changed to homicide in just 3 days.

We'll have to wait and see on this.

I think it is vital. IMO, it is the reason that it turned into a homicide. I believe that something was in that glove that made LE determine with quite a bit of certainty that she is no longer living. I kind of think someone used it to...remove something? dismember? (so sorry for all of these thoughts)...then pulled the glove off inside out, leaving the 'red goo' inside.

This piece of evidence stuck with me as soon as I read about it. And now with the bone... :furious:

Here's a question--why was Charles Rottenberry there? It says in another article that:

Former neighbors who say they became close to the Bakers when they lived in nearby Sawmill, said they grew suspicious of Elisa Baker because of her far-fetched stories and quick temper. She once told them that she wrote songs for American Idol finalist Chris Daughtry, among other tall tales, according to Kayla Rotenberry. We knew they were lies," said, Rotenberry, 23. "She wasn't as nice as she seemed."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20019217-504083.html

Assuming that "Kayla Rotenberry" is a member of the same family as "Charles Rotenberry", it sounds like didn't live in this new neighborhood, and were not even friends of theirs any longer. Did these people come over to the property to help search when they heard the news story?

Another article states:

Kayla Rotenberry, who lived next to the Bakers for about a year in Sawmills, said Elisa Baker would force Zahra to walk long distances on her prosthetic leg, threatening punishment if she slowed down.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/zahra-bake...lleged-abuse-missing/story?id=11856868&page=2

SO could it mean that they found this glove near the backyard of the Bakers' former property? Is that why Charles Rotenberry had to CALL the police (which wouldn't have seemed necessary if it were on their current property, where police were already searching)?

Speculating.

I think it is vital. IMO, it is the reason that it turned into a homicide. I believe that something was in that glove that made LE determine with quite a bit of certainty that she is no longer living. I kind of think someone used it to...remove something? dismember? (so sorry for all of these thoughts)...then pulled the glove off inside out, leaving the 'red goo' inside.

This piece of evidence stuck with me as soon as I read about it. And now with the bone... :furious:

BBM for emphasis.

beli, so glad you put this in words. That is the only reason I could fathom for the goo being inside the glove...

Here's a question--why was Charles Rottenberry there? It says in another article that:

Former neighbors who say they became close to the Bakers when they lived in nearby Sawmill, said they grew suspicious of Elisa Baker because of her far-fetched stories and quick temper. She once told them that she wrote songs for American Idol finalist Chris Daughtry, among other tall tales, according to Kayla Rotenberry. We knew they were lies," said, Rotenberry, 23. "She wasn't as nice as she seemed."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20019217-504083.html

Assuming that "Kayla Rotenberry" is a member of the same family as "Charles Rotenberry", it sounds like didn't live in this new neighborhood, and were not even friends of theirs any longer. Did these people come over to the property to help search when they heard the news story?

Another article states:

Kayla Rotenberry, who lived next to the Bakers for about a year in Sawmills, said Elisa Baker would force Zahra to walk long distances on her prosthetic leg, threatening punishment if she slowed down.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/zahra-bake...lleged-abuse-missing/story?id=11856868&page=2

SO could it mean that they found this glove near the backyard of the Bakers' former property? Is that why Charles Rotenberry had to CALL the police (which wouldn't have seemed necessary if it were on their current property, where police were already searching)?

Speculating.
Good catch!!!!!!

Is this (the Sawmills) trailer that both EB and AB were seen late a night?

Interesting.......now have to ponder on this for a while.

Given AB's occupation, what could smelly red goo be? Is there some kind of substance used in his occupation like this?

I used to work for a landscaper and they used blue goo for connecting pipes, for example. I don't remember it having an odor of any kind though.

Seems like there may have been more than just a little blood in that glove. I know it says "red goo" but I'm gonna call a spade a spade. ;) About the smell ... blood can have an awful odor. Have you ever bought a tray of meat and it has that fiber thing in there that helps soak up the blood? Well just put one of those in your trash can and let it sit and you'll know what I mean. We found out the hard way. I forgot to empty the trash when we left for the weekend one time and when we came home the whole laundry room stunk to high heaven. gag.

Sorry can't remember who said it up thread but I agree (now that I think about it) that the glove may have been the turning point between missing and homicide.

JMOO

ETA: The glove (if it's the cleaning kind) will not absorb the blood so it sits there and gets thick and "gooey" and may take a while to dry up.
Sorry for being so graphic.

Given AB's occupation, what could smelly red goo be? Is there some kind of substance used in his occupation like this?

I used to work for a landscaper and they used blue goo for connecting pipes, for example. I don't remember it having an odor of any kind though.
Only thing I can come up with is tree sap. Sometimes its a "reddish" color - but as for smell - not sure.

I now want some clarification on where this glove was found and when. I had thought it was found there at the house on the property line - but now, not so sure.

I'm confused about this, too. Because there is only the one tiny mention (repeated a bazillion times by every media outlet)--the same one that is quoted in the OP. And this information is implied to have come from the search warrant.

I can't find any mention anywhere else of this "Charles Rotenberry", that would clarify who, when, how, or why.

It is reported that their next-door neighbor in Hickory (the house on 21st, where they were when Zahra went missing) is named Charles Bost. So I am wondering if it could have really been him, and they accidentally got the name "Rotenberry" in the article because of the extensive quotes from Kayla Rotenberry (the neighbor at Sawmill). Just mixed it up because they were quoting her a lot.

Sure, if that were the case, then "friend of the family" would be stretching it (based on quotes from Charles Bost that he didn't even know Zahra existed, in spite of living next door to these people for six weeks or so). But, again, it *could* just be sloppy reporting.

Even still, we are left with a boatload of questions about the glove and the circumstances of its discovery (when, exactly where, what type of glove, etc.).

Speculation and opinion on my part.

Seems like there may have been more than just a little blood in that glove. I know it says "red goo" but I'm gonna call a spade a spade. ;) About the smell ... blood can have an awful odor. Have you ever bought a tray of meat and it has that fiber thing in there that helps soak up the blood? Well just put one of those in your trash can and let it sit and you'll know what I mean. We found out the hard way. I forgot to empty the trash when we left for the weekend one time and when we came home the whole laundry room stunk to high heaven. gag.

Sorry can't remember who said it up thread but I agree (now that I think about it) that the glove may have been the turning point between missing and homicide.

JMOO

ETA: The glove (if it's the cleaning kind) will not absorb the blood so it sits there and gets thick and "gooey" and may take a while to dry up.
Sorry for being so graphic.

Exactly... I totally agree, and thanks for saying it. I tried to talk around it in my post above b/c this whole scenario is just so awful and tragic, almost unimaginable.

The red goo could also be fluids used for machinery, hydraulic fluid, oil, grease, etc. Bearing grease is often a heavy red goo, like a red Vasseline.

http://gastiresoil.blogsome.com/images/bearing1.jpg

I don't think machinery goo will have a bad smell though - it would have a machinery smell to it - which could be bad but in a machine kind of way.

I grew up around all kinds of machinery goos and none of it smelled bad to me.

Would blood still be red after some time? (wouldn't it turn brown) Would old blood smell?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back