Son dresses as Daphne from Scooby Doo for party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
A furious debate is raging over the ethics of parents posting pictures of their own children on the internet after an angry mother used an image of her five-year-old son in drag on her blog.

and

In defence of her own actions and her son's rights to wear what he wanted, she wrote: 'IT IS NOT OK TO BULLY. Even if you wrap it up in a bow and call it "concern". Those women were trying to bully me. And my son.
'If my daughter had dressed as Batman, no one would have thought twice about it'

'If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot.
'Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off.
'If my daughter had dressed as Batman, no one would have thought twice about it. No one.
'If a set of purple sparkly tights and a velvety dress is what makes my baby happy one night, then so be it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...old-drag-internet.html?ITO=1490#ixzz14QQZukWZ

I just LOVE this mom! She rocks!

Whether the kid is gay or not, I think he might be upset that mom put that picture on the internet to live on forever. My son was hugely embarrassed when I showed a picture of him dressed as a hockey goalie costume made entirely out of Dr. Pepper cases. (No, I didn't put it online. lol) As a kid, he was so proud of that costume.

As a teenager, he wanted to crawl under a rock when I got out that picture. :D

There's always a certain bit of anonymity on the internet. In ten to twelve years it will be hard to attach that picture to what will then be that young man.

I applaud the mom. She's saying what needs to be said. She's right. What those other mothers did was bully her and her son and they needed to be called out on it in the most public way possible so they, and those who are like them, might have the faintest chance of figuring out what sort of asshattery they are passing on to their children.

I'm a proud mom of boys, and I'd be all the more prouder when the day comes that they can be whomever(obviously not criminally) they are without the worry of what society says.

Whether the kid is gay or not, I think he might be upset that mom put that picture on the internet to live on forever. My son was hugely embarrassed when I showed a picture of him dressed as a hockey goalie costume made entirely out of Dr. Pepper cases. (No, I didn't put it online. lol) As a kid, he was so proud of that costume.

As a teenager, he wanted to crawl under a rock when I got out that picture. :D

I appreciate your concern, but aren't teens embarrassed by EVERYthing they did as children?

Yours may be an argument against taking pics of kids and posting them anywhere (or even showing them to friends and family), but I think teens will still find something that humiliates them.

In case anyone is wondering, I did dress up as my aunt one Halloween when we couldn't afford a formal costume, but otherwise I went as something appropriately "male" every year as a child.

Never turned me straight.

As for the complaining mothers, I have to wonder: if they think God really made it that easy to turn a kid gay, do they ever wonder if He is making a point about overpopulation?

I appreciate your concern, but aren't teens embarrassed by EVERYthing they did as children?

Yours may be an argument against taking pics of kids and posting them anywhere (or even showing them to friends and family), but I think teens will still find something that humiliates them.

In case anyone is wondering, I did dress up as my aunt one Halloween when we couldn't afford a formal costume, but otherwise I went as something appropriately "male" every year as a child.

As for the complaining mothers, I have to wonder: if they think God really made it that easy to turn a kid gay, do they ever wonder if He is making a point about overpopulation?

I totally agree! The very idea that the clothes worn when one was a child defines one's sexuality is UGLY. The idea that a parent can "make" a child choose an alternate sexuality is so.....archaic?

LOVE your last comment, Nova.

Shoot, I've taken pictures of my son to purposely use to embarrass him when he's a teenager! LOL Isn't that one of the perks of having children? :waitasec:

The complaining mothers are bullies and should be embarrassed to call themselves Christians. imo

I went through something similar when McDonald's was giving away *boy* toys and *girl* toys. He already had a million match box cars so he wanted the miniature Barbie in the worst way! My husband was horrified, which of course, I found very amusing! We had a HUGE discussion and I ended up getting him the Barbie. Hubby was relieved when the very first thing he did was rip off it's clothes to see what was going on under there. lol He loved that doll, he did baths with him, he'd wash & brush her hair. Until, one sad, sad, day when GI Joe ripped off her leg and she died.

A furious debate is raging over the ethics of parents posting pictures of their own children on the internet after an angry mother used an image of her five-year-old son in drag on her blog.

and

In defence of her own actions and her son's rights to wear what he wanted, she wrote: 'IT IS NOT OK TO BULLY. Even if you wrap it up in a bow and call it "concern". Those women were trying to bully me. And my son.
'If my daughter had dressed as Batman, no one would have thought twice about it'

'If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot.
'Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off.
'If my daughter had dressed as Batman, no one would have thought twice about it. No one.
'If a set of purple sparkly tights and a velvety dress is what makes my baby happy one night, then so be it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...old-drag-internet.html?ITO=1490#ixzz14QQZukWZ

I just LOVE this mom! She rocks!

BBM

I absolutely love this line!!!!!!!! While there may have been better ways to go about this, I whole heartedly (is that a word? lol) agree that this Mom is doing just fine. I love when parents allow their children to explore the world in their own eyes. She could have stereotyped and told him that boys don't do that.... But she didn't, she let him make his own choices. I LOVE that!!!! I am a mom like that, make your own choices, face your own consequences. Although, I am very happy that she is backing him up, and embracing individuality!

Let the kid pretend, a costume has nothing to do with gender or sexuality, it's dress up for fun. It's quite the double standard that a girl can wear what some would consider a male costume or character, but a boy cannot. I can't count how many times I've seen grown men dress as a female stereotype for Halloween. And yep, he may well be embarrassed later, heck, I have lots of embarrassing pictures of my son. He's dressed himself up in bizarre ways, loved to come out with socks on his hands, a towel on his head, wearing his T-shirt like a tube top, and my heels just cause he thought it was funny. And yep, I have pics of that.

OMG People really do need to get a grip on reality. It was Halloween. A little boy wanted to dress up like a character who happens to be female. It is an adorable costume. Yes, he we probably go through a phase in life when he will be embarrassed by that photo, but if he is a normal person, and he has support of a rationally-minded parent as his mother seems to be, he will get over it and embrace the innocence and fun of his childhood.

Good for him and his mom! It's nice to see a child being encouraged to embrace their individuality.

Let the kid pretend, a costume has nothing to do with gender or sexuality, it's dress up for fun. It's quite the double standard that a girl can wear what some would consider a male costume or character, but a boy cannot. I can't count how many times I've seen grown men dress as a female stereotype for Halloween. And yep, he may well be embarrassed later, heck, I have lots of embarrassing pictures of my son. He's dressed himself up in bizarre ways, loved to come out with socks on his hands, a towel on his head, wearing his T-shirt like a tube top, and my heels just cause he thought it was funny. And yep, I have pics of that.

My boys used to wear whitey-tighties upside down on their heads, with an eye peeking out of one of the leg holes and pretend they were ninjas! We have plenty of pictures of those "Kodak moments" and while my boys blush when they see the pictures, they also comment on how much fun they had when they were little....and how glad they are that their dad and I encouraged them to imagine and play. And guess what? Not one of my kids grew up to be a ninja!!

Children love to dress up, don't they? It is just shameful that some people want to stifle that in our little ones, or that others want to put some sort of negative significance to what comes naturally to little kids.

I don't find this story amusing at the least. If you read her whole post, at some point the child was apprehensive about wearing this costume in public because he was afraid people would laugh at him.

Shoot, I've taken pictures of my son to purposely use to embarrass him when he's a teenager! LOL Isn't that one of the perks of having children? :waitasec:

The complaining mothers are bullies and should be embarrassed to call themselves Christians. imo

I went through something similar when McDonald's was giving away *boy* toys and *girl* toys. He already had a million match box cars so he wanted the miniature Barbie in the worst way! My husband was horrified, which of course, I found very amusing! We had a HUGE discussion and I ended up getting him the Barbie. Hubby was relieved when the very first thing he did was rip off it's clothes to see what was going on under there. lol He loved that doll, he did baths with him, he'd wash & brush her hair. Until, one sad, sad, day when GI Joe ripped off her leg and she died.

It's one thing to share a potentially embarrassing photo with family. Quite another to post it on the internet for everybody to see. Although it appears nowdays many people can't figure out the difference.

I don't find this story amusing at the least. If you read her whole post, at some point the child was apprehensive about wearing this costume in public because he was afraid people would laugh at him.

But then he decided to go for it.....

It was a Halloween costume, fer gawd sakes. The little guy questioned concerns and his mother supported his choice to be the character he wanted to dress up as. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill! Let kids be kids. The only people that had issues were adults and one has to wonder were their imagination and what being a child went.

It's exhausting to keep reading, over and over again, the politically correct behaviour that is decided for all instead of just letting things/people ~be~. I applaude this parent for standing with/behind her child. People need to seriously lighten up. By the way, as far as any pictures taken and post go, who really cares? I mean, seriously. Geesh....

My 11 year old wanted to go as Lady Gaga for Halloween. Does that make him gay? NO! It was a friggin costume. I hate when people try to make a big deal out of nothing!

But then he decided to go for it.....

Did you read her whole post? She describes how he was nervous and halted getting out of the car before the party, so when did he decide to "go for it?" Regardless, the child is only five. Do you think he is in charge and not the mother? He wanted the costume but even at five the kid eventually figured out he can be a subject to ridicule for wearing it.

My 11 year old wanted to go as Lady Gaga for Halloween. Does that make him gay? NO! It was a friggin costume. I hate when people try to make a big deal out of nothing!
No, wearing a costume on Halloween doesn't make a five year old gay. So maybe the mother shouldn't have wrote her runt about her five year old under a headline "My son is gay."

Did you read her whole post? She describes how he was nervous and halted getting out of the car before the party, so when did he decide to "go for it?" Regardless, the child is only five. Do you think he is in charge and not the mother? He wanted the costume but even at five the kid eventually figured out he can be a subject to ridicule for wearing it.

Not a single child ridiculed him for wearing it, it was the children's parents! Those bullying parents are the ones that POISON their children's little minds. The children saw nothing wrong with it. Seems to me anyway, the 5 year olds had FAR more sense than their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater