Reaction score
More Charges Likely In Toddler's Death

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:34 AM
Updated: Monday, November 8, 2010 8:44 AM
WBNS-10TV

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:
picture.php

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

WHITEHALL, Ohio — A 19-year-old was charged over the weekend with felonious assault in connection with the death of his girlfriend's toddler.
London Hodge was taken to Nationwide Children's Hospital on Saturday evening, 10TV's Tino Ramos reported.

According to police, the 21-month-old girl had suffered injuries consistent with abusive head trauma and shaken baby syndrome, police said.

"They said she had brain stem damage," said Natasha Steele, the girl's mother. "Part of her brain had shifted. She had shaken baby syndrome (and) there was blood in her head."

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...-whitehall-man-charged-in-toddlers-death.html

=====================================================
<snip>

Steele, 21, said Johnson called her about 3 a.m. yesterday while she was at the hospital to apologize. "I said, 'My daughter is dying right now, and you're sorry?'"

He tried to explain what happened: He was taking London upstairs for a bath and dropped her on her head. Then, during the bath, she vomited.

Johnson said he dressed the toddler, laid her on the couch to sleep and noticed a few hours later that she wasn't breathing.

Steele said that didn't match what doctors and police detectives were saying. "They said the injuries were fresh, and there were too many bruises for it to be an accident."

Steele said she's known Johnson for about a year. They've been a couple for six months and have lived together for four of them, moving to Whitehall from Zanesville about a month ago.

more here - states LE expects to file murder charges today

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...n-19-charged-in-death-of-toddler.html?sid=101

RIP, little London :cry:

What a beautiful baby. It infuriates me that this precious girl lost her life while the filth that killed her gets to keep his! RIP sweet baby.

RIP sweet baby. My prayers are with her family. :(

Rest in peace sweet angel.

God this world gives folks too d*mn much to handle sometimes.

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_7747.shtml

"She had a beautiful smile, that and her hair is what everyone complimented her on. She's so cute. Look at those cheeks," Steele said.

"So, when that final moment came, I got to hold her and the whole thing of like your child dying in your arms, it really affects you."

"They let me lay with her until they took her away from me to give me those last few moments."

Rest in peace sweet angel.

God this world gives folks too d*mn much to handle sometimes.

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_7747.shtml

I have zero sympathy for the mother.She was abused by him and she leaves him with her daughter.She needs to be charged at least with child endangerment.This woman have no common sense and their babies pay a high price IMO.

He and Steele moved to Columbus in the last month. Steele was named as the victim in the domestic violence charge. She spoke with ABC6/FOX28 News' Adam Slinger about the heart-break of losing her daughter.

I can appreciate your point of view. 100%. Mother to Mother.

However, this young mother, in my opinion should not be condemned for losing her child at the hands of another.

She is young, was not there, made a wrong decision to leave this beautiful baby girl with this .

And, she will think about it for the rest of her life.

She's already in prison.

Just my opinion. And, I respect yours.

The mother gets no pass from me. I am fed up with women who leave their children in the care of a <modsnip> boyfriend who is obviously not fit to be left alone with a child because he has a history of violent behavior, and in many cases substance abuse.

I am sick and tired of reading the tragic details of the sexual and violent abuse of the children of those women. If you're unmarried with a young child, for God's sake, stay home and take care of your children. Put their needs first. If you can't live without sex, do it somewhere else. Do not bring a man to live under your roof in the company of your children until you've known him a very long time.

How often do we see this scenario play out? It's time for the BS to stop. If that means charging the mothers -- and in some cases, fathers -- with child endangerment or neglect, then so be it. Maybe someone should start a Facebook page with their pictures and call it Parents Against Responsible Parenting. Somehow we've got to convey the message that society frowns on this behavior.

I'm not giving her a pass.

And, trust me, I know, these stories p*ss me off just as much as they do anyone else, and yes, something has to give.

I do agree with you. I just don't know what the answer is.

I found her myspace page, & now I see her differently. At 1st it sounded to me that she pretty much had it together, with an internship, etc. however...

"Anyway you like it?"...

The mother's myspace page...

http://www.myspace.com/newayulikeit

Lots of pics of sweet London on here.

Her MySpace page tells it all. A very foolish (<modsnip>, IMO) young woman who thought she had it under control but was asking for trouble. :furious:

I don't know all the answers either, Tinsamd, but I do believe we can start by making parents responsible under the law for the protection of their children. Yet, I know that the law is limited when the abuse is not delivered by the parent. There are too many gray areas.

The other option is to raise awareness. That starts with you and I and all individuals who know someone, whether it be a neighbor, a friend, or our very own son or daughter, who is in a similar situation. We have to use every opportunity to speak up loudly and make it known that parenting is a privilege which comes with heavy responsibility. We can't be afraid to say, "Hey, it's not all about you anymore. You gave that up when you gave birth. You don't show your a$$ all over the internet, and you don't take in strays."

If we continue to fuel the message, eventually it might spread among the under-30 set, because honestly, I don't see anything changing until they start telling it to each other.

the mother gets no pass from me. I am fed up with women who leave their children in the care of a <modsnip> boyfriend who is obviously not fit to be left alone with a child because he has a history of violent behavior, and in many cases substance abuse.

I am sick and tired of reading the tragic details of the sexual and violent abuse of the children of those women. If you're unmarried with a young child, for god's sake, stay home and take care of your children. Put their needs first. If you can't live without sex, do it somewhere else. Do not bring a man to live under your roof in the company of your children until you've known him a very long time.

How often do we see this scenario play out? It's time for the bs to stop. If that means charging the mothers -- and in some cases, fathers -- with child endangerment or neglect, then so be it. Maybe someone should start a facebook page with their pictures and call it parents against responsible parenting. Somehow we've got to convey the message that society frowns on this behavior.

I totally agree 100%!!! She was abused by him, then she leaves her child with him WTH. She needs to be charged,maybe then mothers would be more choosy about a babysitter.Instead they are given sympathy portrayed as a mother who lost a child.The reality is they choose the man over their child and the child pays the price.If she would have left that child for 10 minutes and ran to a corner store and the house burnt down, she would be charged.Why not when she left her child with a man she knew was abusive?

You know, and this would never happen, but considering that we have age limits on things like alcohol & smoking, there should be an age limit on procreation.

And if not an age limit, then say you are under a certain age, say 25, then you have a case worker assigned to you who's job it is just to check in until a child is old enough to tell someone if something is wrong.

It's sad that now some of the under 25 range fall under the category of "babies having babies" when they aren't babies at all. Just not mature enough to take care of one the right way because they are all too consumed with their facebook status of the day or how sexy of a pic can they put onto their myspace page.

It's a real shame. When my little girl was born I was lucky to get a shower every 3 days or so, & I was 24. Bout 10 years ago.

The last thing I was worried about was socializing. Bessie you are right. Until these young mothers realize it's no longer about them, the children remain at risk.

My mother used to say that some people weren't fit to raise a dog. I understand we all love our puppies, but I think we get the gist of what she was saying.

I must have must where is said that the bf was violent with the baby was before, so why would she leave her with him?? I believe she should be held accountable for this.

From December 2011:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/12/21/man-gets-15-years-in-death-of-toddler.html

Judge Laurel Beatty sentenced Johnson to 15 years in prison at yesterday&#8217;s hearing, saying the &#8220; most disturbing&#8221; aspect of the case was how long it took for him to seek medical care for the girl.

Johnson placed a cellphone call to Steele on the afternoon of Nov. 6, 2010, telling her that the child was sick, but he didn&#8217;t call 911 for nearly four hours. The girl died the next morning at Nationwide Children&#8217;s Hospital.

Johnson, 20, was indicted on a murder charge but pleaded guilty in October to involuntary manslaughter and child endangering.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back