Mystery Missile Launch Seen off Calif. Coast

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/09/national/main7036716.shtml

Mystery Missile Launch Seen off Calif. Coast

(CBS) A mysterious missile launch off the southern California coast was caught by CBS affiliate KCBS's cameras Monday night, and officials are staying tight-lipped over the nature of the projectile.

CBS station KFMB put in calls to the Navy and Air Force Monday night about the striking launch off the coast of Los Angeles, which was easily visible from the coast, but the military has said nothing about the launch.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article and video at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just heard this on the radio. I wonder if it'll just die down and we'll never get an explanation of what that launch was.

This is very weird. And scary.I hope they get to the bottom of it. I'd like to know where it came from,but even more important,where did it land?

Col. Dave Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman, told reporters the video is so far "unexplained" by anyone in the U.S. Military.

The Missile Defense Agency told Fox News it did not launch any test missile last night that could explain the dramatic images. The Navy and the Air Force were also unable to offer an explanation.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/11/09/mystery-missile-launch-off-cali-coast/

It's really frightening to me that a missile could be launched so close to Los Angeles and our defense is clueless. I guess I've been naive to believe that I was better protected. :(

It's going on 24 hours later and no explanation?:waitasec:Can't tell me someone in the military or government don't know what happened!!:banghead:
Here's an interesting report from last night with a possible theory from Robert Ellsworth-former Ambassador to NATO and a former Deputy Secretary of Defense!!
[video=youtube;M5gY0qmhMNU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5gY0qmhMNU[/video]

Someone, somewhere knows something... what they're doing is covering their respective a$$es because they shouldn't have launched the sucker without prior warning.

It's the government - I doubt we'll ever find out the truth.

You know the military is going to say it was an experimental weather device, or something. When I lived in Orlando we constantly would see missiles or something in the skies all the time. There would be nothing about it on the news or anywhere. I got use to it. My kids would be playing outside and say look it's the shuttle, and I knew it wasn't but I would go along not to scare them.

Well, they are still saying this is undetermined.

Gosh! That really makes me feel better. NOT!

Anyway, some are saying it appears to be fired from a submerged vessel.

Note to self, that means submarine!

Anyway, there was a contingent of vessels out there at the time. MAYBE they {goofed!} and accidentally shot a missle!:eek:

Like others have said, we may never know.:crazy:

JMHO
fran

I'm assuming this was one of ours or we would be hearing about jets, etc., scrambling in response.

So I wonder when the military will figure out that candor actually builds trust.

If they announced that submariner John Doe accidentally set off a (hopefully unarmed) nuclear missile, I'd be upset, but assume the Navy would review its procedures and correct them.

All this "mystery" just seems like CYA and makes me less confident that any correction will ensue.

While I tend to agree with Nova inasmuch as we'd probably have seen a bit more defensive activity...I also disagree. As a Los Angelean, I did see a lot of military type helis yesterday afternoon, but since Veteran's Day is tomorrow, it might be something for that.

I do know this bothers me a lot. Our country has a history of not telling us the frank truth about things - how many of us know that a balloon bomb came here during WWII, for example? And how many of us know how many terrorist plots have been thwarted?

What worries me is that this appears to be from a submerged vessel. We have subs off our coast on a regular basis. But they don't tend to shoot things. If this was another country or terrorist group shooting something off, they were either testing our reaction capabilities, or demonstrating that they could get this close without detection.

Both of those are scary to me.

I am hoping that someone leaned on the dashboard of a sub, and accidentally set it off. I am not at all certain that it was that...the sequence to send off a missle is a bit more complicated than that. But that's what I'm hoping.

Let's see what today brings, in terms of news...

Best-
Herding Cats

While I tend to agree with Nova inasmuch as we'd probably have seen a bit more defensive activity...I also disagree. As a Los Angelean, I did see a lot of military type helis yesterday afternoon, but since Veteran's Day is tomorrow, it might be something for that.

I do know this bothers me a lot. Our country has a history of not telling us the frank truth about things - how many of us know that a balloon bomb came here during WWII, for example? And how many of us know how many terrorist plots have been thwarted?

What worries me is that this appears to be from a submerged vessel. We have subs off our coast on a regular basis. But they don't tend to shoot things. If this was another country or terrorist group shooting something off, they were either testing our reaction capabilities, or demonstrating that they could get this close without detection.

Both of those are scary to me.

I am hoping that someone leaned on the dashboard of a sub, and accidentally set it off. I am not at all certain that it was that...the sequence to send off a missle is a bit more complicated than that. But that's what I'm hoping.

Let's see what today brings, in terms of news...

Best-
Herding Cats

I agree with you about the government not telling us about things going on. The Japanese balloon bombing during WW2 is just the tip of the iceberg. During WW2 the government covered a lot of stuff up including the fact that German and Japanese subs were sinking ships left and right in the Gulf of Mexico, the East coast, the West coast and Canada. Here is an interesting Wikipedia article about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks_on_North_America_during_World_War_II

But with this I'm leaning towards somebody that likes to tinker with stuff built a rocket and decided to launch it.

With as much tracking that goes on with our flights these days, if it was a simple airplane they would know. And they would know the flight number. And where it left from. And where it was going. And how many people were on board. And a billion other things. It wouldn't take any "detection" equipment if it was just an airplane.

Most likely it's much ado about nothing, and it's the usual- Lockheed doing Stealth Fighter/Bomber testing...:rolleyes:

I saw it on the news this morn -- definitely a missle of some sort. The newscaster said they were told it was a plane. Are U kidding me - that wasn't a plane.

As a Californian, I'd sure like to know what it was...

MOO

Mel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie