Your Dog May Help You Wash Your Clothes Better!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Linkage

The Wet Dog Shake: Physics Revealed
We've all been sprayed by a shaking soaked pooch. Now their technique could be applied to washing machines.
By Jennifer Viegas
Fri Nov 12, 2010 08:23 AM ET

dog-shake-278x225.jpg

Wet dogs shake their fur extremely effectively, research shows. And their shake speed varies according to their size

...Wet dogs and other wet animals shake their bodies in such a precise, effective manner that washing machine designers are taking notice, according to a new study that is the first to explain the physics of animal self-drying.

In addition to better washing machines, the findings could lead to improvements to dryers, painting devices, spin coaters and other machines.

"It's surprising, but we still do not understand why washing machines work so well," co-author David Hu said. "The equations that govern the fluid motion inside them are too complicated to solve. In this research, we decided to look to nature to ask the question: 'How do we dry clothes effectively and efficiently?'"...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsp_Nn02yro[/ame]

Will this put an end to the unbalanced load? :waitasec:

Sooooo, if I can get all the wet clothes attached to my dog, will she shake all the clothes free of the water the machine cannot spin out? Lol!

Sooooo, if I can get all the wet clothes attached to my dog, will she shake all the clothes free of the water the machine cannot spin out? Lol!

I know! :D I'm picturing my dog running around the house with my laundry attached to him. He would love it!

Of course, then he would roll all around on the clothes.

Also, that super slo-mo of the bulldog shaking the water off is AWESOME!

I know! :D I'm picturing my dog running around the house with my laundry attached to him. He would love it!

BBM

Who doesn't love the smell of wet dog on their clothes? :waitasec:

It's amazing how dogs can shake their bodies like that!

I've seen it first hand with my beloved Bernese Mtn Dogs over the years. They especially liked the snow and would wait to "shake off" inside when they came in the house. Snow and ice-pellets all over the kitchen floor. Not a pretty sight.

At my age, if I even attempted to shake my body, I'd end up in the emergency room!

That's awesome!

I'm still waiting for the day my dog can help me cook and clean and fold the clothes in the closet.

OK, I just washed my dog, bathed myself and changed m clothes, came here and read this............LMBO!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNP-C16XqA&feature=relmfu[/ame]

That slo-mo bear video is fascinating! I couldn't quit watching it.

I wish I could do that in the morning, after my shower. It would make getting ready for work quicker. I would probably knock something off the wall, or injure myself (pull a muscle.)

On second thought, that's probably best left to the animals.

I'm just wondering how they all are able to walk a straight line after that head twisting thing.

I've watched my horse shake, and he's a lot like the dog and bear, but his is more like a wave - head, then shoulders, ribs, hinds...it's weird. Wonderful, but weird.

Best-
Herding Cats
(who don't shake like that...they're usually just too ticked that they're wet!!)

I'm just wondering how they all are able to walk a straight line after that head twisting thing.

I've watched my horse shake, and he's a lot like the dog and bear, but his is more like a wave - head, then shoulders, ribs, hinds...it's weird. Wonderful, but weird.

Best-
Herding Cats
(who don't shake like that...they're usually just too ticked that they're wet!!)

I never thought of that, how do they walk in a straight line after that. There's another subject to be studied. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back