Hero dog who survived Afghan war mistakenly put down

Tuffy

Not really that tough...
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330088/Afghanistan-dog-hero-mistake-Arizona-animal-shelter.html

Target the dog lived through explosions in war-torn Afghanistan, saved the lives of U.S. soldiers and was featured on Oprah - but she couldn't survive a brief stay at an Arizona animal shelter.

An employee at the Pinal County facility was today on administrative leave after euthanizing the shepherd mix by mistake.

'When it comes to euthanizing an animal, there are some clear-cut procedures to follow,' said Ruth Stalter, director of the Animal Care And Control centre.
'Based on my preliminary investigation, our employee did not follow those procedures.'

article-1330088-0C17A5CC000005DC-379_468x341.jpg

RIP Target, you are a hero!

article-1330088-0C17A4C5000005DC-118_468x494.jpg

GROAN...................

OMG! How horrible!

R.I.P. Dear Target

OMG!!!! A dog who gave so much of himself was put to death because of someone's carelessness!!!!! Why was this dog in this shelter in the first place? I am sure there are many animal lovers who would have given him a good home. I am beyond words. May Target rest in peace.

OMG!!!! A dog who gave so much of himself was put to death because of someone's carelessness!!!!! Why was this dog in this shelter in the first place? I am sure there are many animal lovers who would have given him a good home. I am beyond words. May Target rest in peace.

The dog was loved and wanted - the serviceman who rescued him after the dog saving him was on HLN and is devastated. I had even seen a story a few months back about the dog and the man and family. They said today that the dog had escaped his fenced yard and before the owner could find him some ()&^^#*(% had 'goofed' and put the dog down. :-(( This story put me over the edge today.

thanks so much for he clarification, A_News_Junkie. That may have been said in the article but I think my mind couldn't get past the awful outcome, and somehow my brain didn't process that info. I agree - this story put me over the edge too. We lost a dog last year, and the pain was like a hole in the heart.

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a beautiful dog..:cry: To go through so much, then enter a loving home, just to be put down by an (unusual person) employee that apparently doesn't know the rules. Really has me beyond Pi$$3D

That poor family. :(

Have fun at The Bridge Target, play , run, eat and be happy. One day, your family will come for you, one by one.

Kateeyes, I lost my baby last year too. I miss him so much. :cry:

I saw this last night and it sent me into a bad funk. Stupid should hurt.

ETA: and on Veteran's day of all days.

What a beautiful dog..:cry: To go through so much, then enter a loving home, just to be put down by an (unusual person) employee that apparently doesn't know the rules. Really has me beyond Pi$$3D

That poor family. :(

Have fun at The Bridge Target, play , run, eat and be happy. One day, your family will come for you, one by one.

Kateeyes, I lost my baby last year too. I miss him so much. :cry:
Stories like this really break my heart. There was a similar story in a local paper, a guy lost his little dog in the park, and that dog was also put down even though the owner was looking for his dog.
I am very curious as to what these shelter rules are, and how carefully employees usually follow them. Target was famous so it's a big deal it but if she wasn't?
How long do they normally keep dogs in a shelter after they find them and how hard do they try to find the owners? Target was brought in a shelter on Friday and come Monday she was already dead. That would hardly give any owner time to look for the dog.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back