CT - State Rep. Jefferson Davis for sex abuse of 8yo boy, Danielson, 2004

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
DANIELSON, Connecticut (AP) -- An eastern Connecticut lawmaker struck a plea deal Wednesday on charges he sexually assaulted an 8-year-old boy and agreed to register as a sex offender. He also resigned.

Under the deal with prosecutors, state Rep. Jefferson Davis pleaded guilty to a charge of risk of injury to a minor and will accept a 10-year suspended prison term and probation when he is sentenced in November.

The agreement also calls for Davis to register as a sex offender and receive counseling and evaluation.

The six-term Democratic lawmaker, who announced in May he would not run for re-election, submitted his resignation Wednesday, Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz said. He had been scheduled to go on trial next month.

House Majority Leader James Amann, D-Milford, said he believed legislative leaders would not appoint someone to fill Davis' seat because the election is in a little more than two months and the Legislature won't be in session until January.

Davis' plea came under the Alford Doctrine: He does not admit guilt but concedes the state has enough evidence to find him guilty. His ex-wife, Jean S. Davis, accompanied him to court Wednesday.

"I know who I am and what I am not," Davis said in a written statement given to reporters outside of court.

According to allegations read in court, prosecutors said Davis admitted to masturbating in front of the child, exposing himself and teaching the boy how to masturbate.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/08/26/connecticut.legislator.ap/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back