GUILTY TX - Dr. Rick Lohstroh, 41, shot to death, Katy, 27 Aug 2004

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040829_1984.html

I'm also wondering BIRDIEBOO, IF the mother actually put him up to it? It sounds like a very terrible divorce.

"The boy's mother, Deborah Geisler, had filed complaints with police during the 2003 divorce alleging that Lohstroh had molested their sons.

"He was very angry with his father," Geisler said in Sunday editions of the Houston Chronicle.

Lohstroh's attorney, Kathleen Collins, said police found no evidence to support the abuse claims. "This was one of the worst cases I've seen in terms of false allegations," she said."

Or maybe the allegations are true and the boy did not want to be anywhere near his father? A child that has been molested, then forced to see the offending parent, could feel like the court system has failed him, and decided to take matters into his own hands.

You know what? If I knew my husband (or anyone for that matter) had been hurting my kids, there is no way in HELL I would have let him anywhere near my son. Cmadwolf would have disappeared with the kid. Or I'd have killed him myself before I let my child go with him. Something's not right. No mother would just let her son go, law or no. At least be in that truck with the child. Leash him to ya!!

Ghostwheel said:
Whoa! the kid could get Juvie detention until 18, THEN 40 more years as an adult. This doesn't seem quite right. Does Texas think that 10 year olds really have a grasp on the consequences of their actions?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/083004_APlocal_boyhearing.html

Ghostwheel,
Texas is very very scary in their punishments.
I have always said "Ya sure as hell don't wanna get raped in TX". I am sure that goes double for men or boys...
Whether or not the allegations are true or not, is an entire different story...

-Texas native and rape victim

Bhodirasta said:
Ghostwheel,
Texas is very very scary in their punishments.
I have always said "Ya sure as hell don't wanna get raped in TX". I am sure that goes double for men or boys...
Whether or not the allegations are true or not, is an entire different story...

-Texas native and rape victim
I'm all for proper punishments (I've seen many way too lenient), but 48 years for a 10 year old? They've never even read about their rights, much less understand them. I realize that is the MOST he can get, still....

He doesn't necessarily serve another 40 years, but the system allows that when he turns 18, it can reconsider whether or not he should be released. I would rather have a child re-evaluated at that age, than a blanket "He's fixed!" and release into society again. We all know of serial killers who went wrong at an early age--Ted Bundy was suspected of killing a neighbor's child when he was a teen. Other children deserve a second chance. I'm all for a system that allows for an individual decision.

I don't think the boy was abused, by his father. Perhaps by someone else, but not by the dad. The charges were found to be unsubstantiated and in fair defense of the dad, that should be noted. The boy's story changed substantially.

I've read a lot of the coverage and I think this was a divorce turned ugly. Really ugly. Police had been called previously to the home, the children were clearly and obviously troubled by the situation, and this poor little boy was caught in the middle between two parents.

No child should be able to access a gun, let alone a loaded one. That is far more frightening to me than the Texas legal system. The fact that he knew how to get the gun is very, very suspicious. I grew up in a home with a handgun and I promise you I had no idea where it was--and I could not have found it in a few minutes.

This case makes me physically ill, I think of one of my students caught up in something like this and I am just sick. I have been witnessing a child in my own neighborhood falling apart due to a divorce and it is just a nightmare. I know how parents can end up seeking up a divorce, but when you see these fragile children falling apart, it just makes me weep.

Texana said:
He doesn't necessarily serve another 40 years, but the system allows that when he turns 18, it can reconsider whether or not he should be released. I would rather have a child re-evaluated at that age, than a blanket "He's fixed!" and release into society again. We all know of serial killers who went wrong at an early age--Ted Bundy was suspected of killing a neighbor's child when he was a teen. Other children deserve a second chance. I'm all for a system that allows for an individual decision.

I don't think the boy was abused, by his father. Perhaps by someone else, but not by the dad. The charges were found to be unsubstantiated and in fair defense of the dad, that should be noted. The boy's story changed substantially.

I've read a lot of the coverage and I think this was a divorce turned ugly. Really ugly. Police had been called previously to the home, the children were clearly and obviously troubled by the situation, and this poor little boy was caught in the middle between two parents.

No child should be able to access a gun, let alone a loaded one. That is far more frightening to me than the Texas legal system. The fact that he knew how to get the gun is very, very suspicious. I grew up in a home with a handgun and I promise you I had no idea where it was--and I could not have found it in a few minutes.

This case makes me physically ill, I think of one of my students caught up in something like this and I am just sick. I have been witnessing a child in my own neighborhood falling apart due to a divorce and it is just a nightmare. I know how parents can end up seeking up a divorce, but when you see these fragile children falling apart, it just makes me weep.

Hey there Texana!
See, now the difference between my dad (my mom has a gun, given by my dad, but I don't think she would ever use it) and your parents, is that at age 4, after my lessons with my daisy rifle, I was SHOWN where the glocks were hidden. My dad didn't ever want me to come across them "accidentaly". (I was quite nosy and curious begining at a young age)
I was taught how to fire a glock around age 8, but it was always a "goal" of mine begining at age four, that I would some day be "big enough" to use it properly. I knew that I was too small, but I also knew what happened when a gun was shot- I had a pretty good idea about what a glock could do around age 4, because while I was at the shooting range with daisy, my father was right next to me with "gargoyle glock".
Worked for me. I think ya just gotta know yer kids, and this family surely did not. Parents are just as guilty, if not more than the kids...

Bhodi

I ran into my dad's rifle by accident, and it nearly scared me to death. Thank goodness my parents didn't have it loaded, because I could easily have fired it by accident (it was in a cloth bag!) I remember standing there screaming for my parents because I was holding this gun, and I had no idea what to do, and terrified I would shoot them by accident.

My kids (yes, one is only five) know how to handle a gun, and what to do if anyone ever gets one out when they are in the room (leave). But if ever their cousins come over, the gun goes into a locked case for the duration. (same for any friends). I taught them for the same reason I taught myself. If they ever end up with a gun in their hands, for whatever reason, they will know how to put it down safely. They also know how to unload almost any gun.

Ghostwheel said:
I ran into my dad's rifle by accident, and it nearly scared me to death. Thank goodness my parents didn't have it loaded, because I could easily have fired it by accident (it was in a cloth bag!) I remember standing there screaming for my parents because I was holding this gun, and I had no idea what to do, and terrified I would shoot them by accident.

My kids (yes, one is only five) know how to handle a gun, and what to do if anyone ever gets one out when they are in the room (leave). But if ever their cousins come over, the gun goes into a locked case for the duration. (same for any friends). I taught them for the same reason I taught myself. If they ever end up with a gun in their hands, for whatever reason, they will know how to put it down safely. They also know how to unload almost any gun.

Yah, Ghostwheel,
If ya think your guns are well hidden, think again. I also "stumbled upon" a tiny little seecam one day (exploding bullets). All I knew about that particular gun, was that it could kill. I took it out of its "hiding spot" and asked my dad what kind of gun it was (the hiding spot was pretty stealth too). I got the lesson on the seecam the next day...
I really think that if parents have guns in the house, the children should be taught at a VERY young age, how to use them.
My father used stuffed animals to show me what the guns would do (I will NEVER forget when my dear dear Humpty Dumpty fell of the wall)

Bhodi

Bhodirasta said:
My father used stuffed animals to show me what the guns would do (I will NEVER forget when my dear dear Humpty Dumpty fell of the wall)

Bhodi
Now THAT seems a little over the top to me, but whatever works for your family. :eek:

Mother faces arrest warrant for not turning over son to authorities

ABC13 Eyewitness News
(9/10/04 - HOUSTON) — The mother of a 10-year-old boy accused of murdering his father may face an arrest warrant.

Deborah Geisler, and her younger son disappeared Wednesday, right around the time her former in-laws won temporary custody of the two boys. The 10-year-old is in juvenile detention, but police checked Geisler's house and they couldn't find the eight-year-old.

The ten-year-old is accused of gunning down his father, Dr. Rick Lohstroh, outside Geisler's Katy home.

Attorneys for the boys' grandparents say they'll ask for an arrest warrant on Geisler if she doesn't turn up Friday to hand over the boy.

CPS has also been trying to interview Geisler and the boy, but they can't track her down either.

*more here*
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/091004_local_fatherkilled.html

update missing 8-year found at dead father's home in texas
http://www.teamamberalert.net/news/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=1FRIENDSWOOD The brother of the 10-year-old boy suspected of shooting his father was turned over to his grandparents Friday afternoon, according to the Friendswood Police Department.

Harris County constables found the 8-year-old child at the Friendswood house his late father, Dr. Rick Lohstroh, shared with his girlfriend.

Lisa Wev, assistant to the chief of police, said the grandparents were at the site when the constables went into the house just after 4 p.m. but that they did not accompany the constables. Wev also said she did not know whether the child’s mother, Deborah Geisler, was also there.

Lisa Wev, assistant to the chief of police, said the grandparents were at the site when the constables went into the house just after 4 p.m. but that they did not accompany the constables. Wev also said she did not know whether the child’s mother, Deborah Geisler, was also there. The 8-year-old, along with is mother, had been missing since his paternal grandparents were awarded temporary custody Thursday. The 10-year-old boy remains in juvenile custody.

http://www.teamamberalert.net/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3951

I am going to say this and then duck ...
Why have a gun in your home in the first place? Why would you want your child to know how to handle a gun at a young age? This seems scary and dangerous to me. What if your children get in an argument and one of them goes and gets the gun out? - I remember my brother chasing me around with a steak knife once while my parents were out - I shudder to think what could have happened had there been a gun in the house.

We always had guns in our home, and one was always kept loaded and "handy." My brother and I knew where they were from the time we were very small. We were taught how to handle them when we turned five. Why? Because my father was in law enforcement and an uncle was the district attorney and later the judge for our county. Unfortunately, when some of the former inmates got out of prison, they came looking for my father (and his family). In addition, we lived in a town with two prisons--one medium security and one maximum security--not to mention the local lock-up.
I remember one night (I was probably about nine-years-old.), a car pulled into the driveway with three men in it. They started yelling my father's name; he went outside to find out what was going on...They were three former inmates, high on something, looking for one of Dad's friends. Fortunately, they were arrested without incident.
Do I have a gun in my home now? Yes, I do. I have had close calls of my own that make it necessary in my mind.
There are people in this world who exist only for evil and nefarious purposes. Sadly, some of them have no chance at reforming. I choose to protect myself and my family if necessary.

Quote from Dad:
"Never pick up a weapon unless you plan to fire it; never fire a weapon unless you intend to kill someone." (Target practice exluded, of course.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onaquest
Back