Resolved CA - Altadena, WhtMale UP10359, 48-99, on Mount Lowe trail, Nov'10

Of course the possibility exists the person found Sunday was not a hiker and was dumped at this location.

If investigators believe the recent rains uncovered these remains it is possible they came from a shallow grave.

Beau Garrett Heller

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/heller_beau.html

Had planned to go hiking and cycling along the San Gabriel river in Azusa Canyons which looks to be fairly close to the area these remains were found.

Looking at a map, Azusa Canyons look to be east of where the skeletal remains were found. Beau is missing from Duarte, CA and the remains were found west of Duarte.

Sheriff's officials collect human remains from Cobb Estate: Detectives say no initial signs of foul play

ALTADENA - Sunlight fell in hard patches Monday morning over the lush foothills inside the Cobb Estate, where authorities collected a set of human remains discovered Sunday by hikers about a half-mile up the Mount Lowe Railway trail.

By midday Monday, Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives were able to say only that there were no obvious signs of foul play on the remains, such as gunshot wounds or missing pieces of skull.

But investigators would not rule out homicide as a possible cause of death, pending a coroner's investigation.
"I'm sure its going to clear up a missing person case," said sheriff's Altadena Station Lt. Det. Angela Shepherd. "But they don't know if it was foul play, a murder, a suicide or an accident. They won't know that until the coroner looks at the remains."

full article at link:

http://www.sgvtribune.com/rss/ci_16686776

The LA County Coroner recovered what appeared to be the remains of one human being, mostly skeletonized. They appear to have been decomposing for about three to six months.

Dempsey said the remains were found on the fire road inside the Cobb Estate, which leads towards a seasonal water fall and is often used by hikers. The remains were found near a water tank structure near the end of the road, Dempsey said.

Capt. John Kades of the County Coronor's Office said it was possible the death was a suicide. He said that they are conducting a wide field search because it is possible the remains have been scattered by animals.

http://altadena.patch.com/articles/human-remains-found-on-altadena-hiking-trail

UID is now in Namus. estimated age 48 and up. 5'10" with dentals and nucDNA.

the remains were found near a helium tank and a hose so maybe that is the apparent suicide referenced in the other articles. an unusual way to go if I don't say so myself. he lugged a helium tank on a hiking trail to gas himself to death?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10359

eta - his pants were 34x32 so my hunch is that at 5'10" that would put him around 180 lbs give or take?

I had a good email address for the UID's contact Daniel Machian as I had submitted another name to him in the past. He did respond to my prior submission so I fired him off an email about this possible match.

I am sure that there would be many agencies that would like to close the book on this particular missing person/fugitive (Frederick McLean) so I thought there was too much going for the possible match to pass it up.

Just a thought... but wouldn't Patrick McLean, being "in the system˝ have DNA and fingerprints on file? K know the DNA would be a long shot cuz maybe it wasn't taken. But I'm sure prints would be. It says in the NAMUS profile that a partial fingerprint from the UID was taken and ran with no hits?

Just a thought... but wouldn't Patrick McLean, being "in the system˝ have DNA and fingerprints on file? K know the DNA would be a long shot cuz maybe it wasn't taken. But I'm sure prints would be. It says in the NAMUS profile that a partial fingerprint from the UID was taken and ran with no hits?

the problem is the issue of the custodian of these identifiers. if they are all in national databases then they should have matched if the UID is McLean.

I missed the fingerprint part although they only got a partial print for the UID so I don't know if that is sufficient for a quality match/rule out. as for the DNA, if they are both in CODIS then they would have registered a match. again, we don't know for sure who is keeping the results of the DNA tests for McLean.

I checked this one again and they have no rule outs. the DNA section does say now that they have both nuc and mt DNA so they should have ruled out any missing person with DNA on file.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back