Australia Australia - Eloise Worledge, 8, Beaumaris, Vic, 12 Jan 1976

Hey Blueclouds. I came across this article as well, a while ago by accident, when I was researching The Beaumont Children(3 children who went missing from Australia in the 60's) Its interesting isn't it? And also very sad. I have a friend who is Australian and this case and the Beaumonts are very very famous over there.

I was looking up the Beaumont children again and found an update- after some 30 odd years, they might have been spotted........Anyway I'm going to post a thread because the police always suspected it was an international abduction

THANK YOU for posting this link, I have an Aussie missing persons website and I didn't have Eliose on it, will update that soon.

I don't think the Beaumont case was thought to be international?? They were last seen playing with a blonde man on the beach. There's never been a confirmed sighting.

thanks blueclouds. I am in melbourne and recall this case as a child.

I remember this case vividly especially Elioise's picture. Why would someone cut the flyscreen from inside when the door was open? Would an opportunistic predator do that? I wish there was more information on this case.

This case doesn't make sense in many ways and like I said, I think the dad is suspicious. But also, this couple associated with a rather fast crowd.

I've never heard of this case before, to me the father sounds suspicious. But then again that's just my view.

I share your view as well. What are the parents up to these days, I wonder?

Forgive me as I didn't do much research on this case other than artcles here on websleuths (I plan to read up later) but I have a few questions...

Were there ever any leads? Did they follow on the fact that the window evidence pointed to an inside job?

Seems to me like after the initial search they just stopped.
Also it seems to me that the parents were ready pretty early on to give up the search and move on with their lives. They just figured she was dead and that was that.

Other parents search for years and have hope and pray their child is out there some where alive. I just don't get that feeling from them at all, it's like they know she died on that night... I find it slightly fishy. (I hate to point fingers at grieving parents)

Could it have been a cover up of an accidental murder? The father was drinking rather heavily that evening.

Being the mother of an 8 year old little girl, this has hit home for me.

Somebody knows something.

I really don't think so. Both parents lived pretty "free" lifestyles. I wonder if they are still alive

I don't get the impression that the dad was involved from the posted articles. One of the articles quotes him as talking about her as if she were alive, not dead at the time. To me, it suggests parents who probably felt the breakdown of their relationship was somehow to blame (not knowing/ignoring what the other was doing.) My dad would have a stiff upper lip also if faced with my sister or i having disappeared but would probably break down privately away from anyone else. Thats what some our parents generation were like, free with "love" but not able to show weakness or real emotion. It took her mum years to realise that she wasn't coming home. I do think sadly that it was a predator who knew them & watched for opportunity over time & knew that the parents were living separate lives.. Just my thoughts. :)

I think it was someone in the circle of friends the parents had. Someone who was a known entity, but not an intimate. I would be interested to know if anyone the parents hung around or anyone that lived on that street was a sex offender.

I think it was someone in the circle of friends the parents had. Someone who was a known entity, but not an intimate. I would be interested to know if anyone the parents hung around or anyone that lived on that street was a sex offender.

The article in the first post indicated both:

'But two new suspects have been unearthed. In their happier days, Patsy and Lindsay Worledge were connected with a Beaumaris amateur theatre. In 1975, another man drifted into the group. Police now know he was a convicted child molester.

Detectives also know that a man convicted of child sex offences worked at a nearby milk bar. But police have found nothing to link the men to the abduction.'

An article from 1977, marking the anniversary of Eloise's abduction:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...FkQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=R5IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5102,1849081

I wonder what sort of person, aiming to steal a child from her bedroom while the entire family is home - a high risk crime - would take the time to stage the scene to look as if he came through the window.

Police noted the wire seemed to have been cut from the inside -- the window's dust was disturbed, but tan bark from outside was on the bedroom floor -- that the wind-out window's gap was hardly big enough for an adult to climb through, let alone one carrying a child..

So the abductor (this scene would have us believe), either before or after he gathered Eloise in his arms (without her crying out) stopped to slit the wire screen from the inside. He then went outside and tossed a handful of bark through the window, while somehow still holding onto an 8 year old child.. I don't think so.

It is VERY likely the scene was staged but ..... WHY???

It would be in the best interests of a stranger to simply leave the way he came and be done with it. IMO, the primary motivation for this act of staging would be *misdirect* the police from other avenues of exit. But why would someone feel the need to do that? Because they *needed* the police to believe someone came through the window. The *needed* it to look obvious that a stranger had taken Eloise. And a stranger has no need to make it *look* like he's stranger...

Eloise's abductor was familiar to her and close to home, this strongly suggests me..

So I actually wonder if the dad, in his generally angry and drunken, emotionally unstable state, could have molested her - and possibly killed her afterwards out of fear she'd tell somebody. I can see how a man who is not generally a pedophile (not ALL molesters are habitual pedos, this is a fact - some men only ever molest a kid once and never again) would be crushed by his own actions afterwards, and be (and act) genuinely sad.

Another note of tragedy for this family is that younger brother Blake died at only 26, I am presuming from a traffic accident:

" And 11 years ago, the youngest of her three children, Blake, then 26, was killed while hailing a taxi on a rainy night in Nunawading. "

http://www.housename.com.au/house-name-articles/2008/9/13/my-space-patsy-worledge/

An article from Jan 15, 1976, detailing reasons why the police didn't believe the window was the exit. Mentions that the wire had been "rolled inward". Also police confirm that a prowler had been seen running toward the Worledge's back gate at midnight on that Monday -- three chisels and oil can were removed from a neighbour's garage but found on a nature strip the next morning:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=zOBUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QZIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5836,2296209

Would a guy robbing people's sheds for tools abduct a child, as an act of sheer opportunity? Perhaps... But would he also take the time to stage the scene? Probably not. Plus, he was seen - and took off running, even dropping stolen items. Would he then feel safe to commit a daring child abduction, also taking the time to cut the screen from the inside (remember, this was established by police) and throw tanbark through a window?

An interesting suspect cloud on Prezi, mentioning Mr Cruel as a possible suspect:

http://prezi.com/caactymnd0_h/lindsay-worledge/

Senior Constable Nazaretian said evidence suggested someone had staged the scene to look as if the flywire screen was cut from the inside to avert suspicion from people connected to the Worledges. The motivation to cut the screen from the inside by an intruder with no connection to the household seemed inconceivable, he said. But entry, exit or both was most probably made through the front door, which Ms Worledge said she had left wide open, Senior Constable Nazaretian said.

The court heard that both Lindsay and Patsy Worledge had been having affairs at the time and Mr Worledge was depressed about their looming separation. He was to move out of the house the day Eloise went missing, a fact Senior Constable Nazaretian described as "striking in its timing."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/07/1057430137175.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back