Gary Hilton - Cheryl Dunlap murder TRIAL

Update:

A fight over whether accused killer Gary Hilton should be allowed to travel to undergo some medical screenings has apparently been settled.

Hilton's attorneys had requested that he be transported to Gainesville for some mental health tests, but prosecutors vociferously objected. They argued the same tests could be done in Tallahassee, without the security risk that a 150 mile trip would create.

A hearing scheduled for this morning was cancelled. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman says she, the defense attorneys and the sheriff's office were able to work out an agreement.

Neither Cappleman, nor defense attorney Ines Suber, would divulge the terms of that deal.

http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/headlines/Hilton_Trial_Could_be_Delayed_Again_104361813.html

I think that they did send him to Shands Medical in Gainsville, Fl...Just did not want the public tp know When or Where!

Attached Pic.

Sorry. I can access the articles with a search, but when I attach the links, they require a subscription?!

Attachments

• GMH.bmp
    23.8 KB · Views: 48
Gary Michael Hilton's attorney wants to close all proceedings to the public.

The attorney says the man charged with killing a local Sunday School teacher and FSU nurse has gotten too much publicity in our area.

There is a hearing today, Dec. 10 to discuss the matter.

Gary Michael Hilton is accused of killing Crawfordville Sunday School teacher Cheyrl Dunlap back in 2008.

His trial date is January 31, but his public defender says any hearing they have before then should not be public. A previous issue was whether Hilton should be transported to Gainesville or stay here for medical tests.

In that last hearing, the judge ordered the prosecution, defense and a representative from the sheriff's office to get together and review options, and come back with a plan.

If Hilton's attorney has her way, Eyewitness News nor any other media will be allowed to be there when that plan is presented.

Hilton's attorney is expected to lay out evidence of why she believes this case has gotten too much publicity over the past couple of years.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Hilton_Trial_Could_be_Delayed_Again_104361813.html

Updated 12-12 6:15pm

Accused Gary Michael Hilton was back in court Friday.

Friday, Judge James Hankinson unsealed ten of the 13 sealed motions.

In essence, the judge told Suber that she was the one that keeps attracting the media coverage by all of the motions and requests that she keeps bringing before the court. Judge Hankinson said that many ot the issues can be settled during the trial.

http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/head...layed_Again_104361813.html?storySection=story

December 15th marks the 3rd anniversary of Cheryl Dunlap's death.

Cheryl Dunlap was a Sunday School teacher and nurse at Thagard Health Center at FSU. Dunlap was brutally murdered back in December of 2007. Her body was found three years ago today in the Apalachicola National Forest.

Gary Michael Hilton is accused of kidnapping Dunlap and killing her. Hilton is scheduled to stand trial in January 2011.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/3rd_Anniversay_of_Cheryl_Dunlaps_Death_111925494.html

Rest In Peace...Cheryl Hodges Dunlap...A True Angel of God!!

Updated story with more trial details:

UPDATED 12.15.2010 7:30pm by Julie Montanaro

The body of missing Sunday School teacher Cheryl Dunlap was found three years ago today and her accused killer is getting ready to go to trial.

Gary Hilton has been in court a lot lately as attorneys battle over the admissibility of evidence and how much of it should be made public before his January trial.

Among the motions just unsealed, a request that Hilton not be labelled a serial killer in court.

<snipped>

Hilton's attorneys have fought to keep much of the evidence against him under seal.

Among the motions unsealed by a judge Friday: a request that no prosecutor or witness refer to him as a serial killer because that, his attorneys argue, would deprive him of a fair trial.

The motions also sought to bar prosecutors from introducing any evidence in seven other killings ... killings that span four states in 11 years.

http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/headlines/3rd_Anniversay_of_Cheryl_Dunlaps_Death_111925494.html

Rest in Peace...Cheryl Hodges Dunlap

are any of the news agencies going to aquire these unsealed motions and publish them?

i've done a simple google and found nothing so far.

glenn? are you still reading here. do you have any sources for the remaining 8 motions?

hope you are, and you are well

glenn? are you still reading here. do you have any sources for the remaining 8 motions?

hope you are, and you are well

thanx for asking stormsailor, I am fine...hope you are doing well..
trying to get my ducks in a row to attend the trial in tally, should it actually take place...
Since the Tally Democrat went pay per view, many of my sources have dried up.. There are a few locals on another forum that have legal backgrounds, that are trying to retrieve the info on the other 5 motions.
The National Media will soon join the frenzy, IMO, due to the 3 years of silence and inew info will be reported more freely.

Glenn

The WCTV update:

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/3rd_Anniversay_of_Cheryl_Dunlaps_Death_111925494.html

UPDATED 12.15.2010 7:30pm by Julie Montanaro

The body of missing Sunday School teacher Cheryl Dunlap was found three years ago today and her accused killer is getting ready to go to trial.

Gary Hilton has been in court a lot lately as attorneys battle over the admissibility of evidence and how much of it should be made public before his January trial.

Among the motions just unsealed, a request that Hilton not be labelled a serial killer in court.

Those who knew Cheryl Dunlap - and those who didn't - say her murder forever changed this rural community of 31,000. Suddenly folks were locking their doors and looking over their shoulders and the hurt and anger are still palpable three years later. That anger is directed at this man ... accused killer Gary Michael Hilton.

"I hope he gets either the electric chair or the needle," said Wakulla County resident Peggy McLaurin.

"People get, have trials but to me, they don't need to have a trial for him," Wakulla County Resident Shellen Scott said.

Hilton's attorneys have fought to keep much of the evidence against him under seal.

Among the motions unsealed by a judge Friday: a request that no prosecutor or witness refer to him as a serial killer because that, his attorneys argue, would deprive him of a fair trial.

The motions also sought to bar prosecutors from introducing any evidence in seven other killings ... killings that span four states in 11 years.

Authorities confirm Hilton is a person of interest in the 2005 murder of Rosanna Milliani and a suspect in the October 2007 murders of John and Irene Bryant, but detectives working on the other cases tell Eyewitness News they have no evidence linking Hilton to the other crimes.

"I don't think he's been unfairly labelled a serial killer," Dunlap's cousin Gloria Tucker said.

Tucker, says she would prefer there not be a trial in Tallahassee at all - rather that Hilton die in prison while serving his life sentence for the murder of Georgia hiker Meredith Emerson.

More than anything she wants this all of this to be over.

'"That's the one thing that I hate about what happened to Cheri is the horror that she had to go through. I don't want ot hear what he did to her. I don't want to hear what she had to suffer through. It would just be nice if it were over," Tucker said.

There were several other motions unsealed Friday too, dealing with a book Hilton was reading, a movie he apparently helped to write, and a bayonet impression left behind.

Gary Hilton's trial is scheduled to start January 31st.

The motions unsealed last week seek to bar the state from trying to introduce any evidence concerning the disappearances and/or deaths of:

Levi Frady, an 11 year old boy who was abducted from Forsyth County, Georgia in October 1997. He was found shot to death the next day in the forest in Dawson County, Georgia. GBI Spokesman John Bankhead says they have not found any evidence to link Hilton to this crime.

Jason Knapp, a Clemson University student who vanished in April 1998. His car was found at Table Rock State Park, but Knapp has not been seen or heard from since. A Spokesman with the Sheriff's Office in Pickens County, South Carolina says investigators did interview Hilton about Knapp's disappearance, but say Hilton denied any knowledge of it and investigators have no evidence linking him to the crime.

Patrice Andres, a hair salon owner in Cumming, Georgia who disappeared from her shop in April 2004. Her body was found
more than a year later behind a church in Dawsonville. GBI Spokesman John Bankhead says they have not found any evidence to link Hilton to this crime.

Rosanna Milliani, a woman who disappeared from Cherokee, North Carolina in December 2005 when she went to hike the Apalachian Trail. She has never been found. Noelle Talley with the North Carolina Department of Justice says Hilton is a person of interest in her disappearance.

John and Irene Bryant, a couple who disappeared while in Pisgah National Forest in October 2007. Irene was found bludgeoned to death and her husband's remains were found in February 2008. Transylvania County authorities have previously identified Hilton as a suspect in their deaths, but a spokeswoman with the U.S. Attorneys Office says there are no public records with Hilton's name on them and would not comment any further.

Michael Scott Louis, a Florida man who disappeared from Ormond Beach in November 2007. A fisherman found his dismembered body a few weeks later in three different trash bags along the Tomoka River. SGT Kenny Hayes with the Ormond Beach Police says investigators could not find any evidence linking Hilton to the crime and says he has never been named a suspect in Louis's murder.

in the 5 motions i have been able to read. the only new evidence i see revealed is a bayonet that must match tool marks on cheryl dunlaps car tire.

i don't understand the motion to suppress evidence in those named cases, if begs the question if such evidence exist although it has been denied by some l e investigators, and even if it did exist it would be poor prosecution to bring it up in trial, a whole different sack of cats, so to speak.

it occurred to me as i was writing this perhaps the reason was to exclude the other cases and evidence if the trial led to a guilty verdict to exclude it from the penalty phase where a prosecutor would present such evidence.

anybody see the other motions, please post it up.

thanks

motion 1= nc-irene and john bryant evidence
motion 2= movie-deadly run
motion 3= ga-patrice endres evidence
motion 4 = nc-rossana milliano evidence
motion 5 = fl-michael louis evidence
motion 6 = ga-levi frady evidence
motion 7 = sc-jason knapp evidence
motion 8 = derogatory terms- "serial killer"
motion 11 = book-"cannibals and kings"
motion 13 = toolmark-us m7 bayonet

all the motions are there, wctv just didn't lay them out clearly.

I can't really comment on him as of now but what do you think the people that are going to have to testify against him are going through, and he calls himself nutty... Michelle

will the evidence in the trial be published when the trial begins? i would think the prosecution has a strong case, but from all of the evidence i have seen or that has been mentioned in the press all of it is circumstantial.

am i missing anything, or is that what everyone else has seen?

please post what you have heard, seen, or read about existing evidence that you believe the prosecution has

mustang sally, firefox07 has there been any mention of any other evidence collected.

i read about the campsite in north georgia, but all the links listing items found no longer work.

its allmost as if all evidence is being suppressed, court ordered in the cheryl dunlap trial, but why all evidence collected everywhere?

Isn't Florida very open about releasing this type of information? Why is this trial so different from Casey Anthony's?

Today's update:

Court administrators confirm that two batches of jury summons have already been mailed in the Gary Michael Hilton case.

The first batch for January 31st were mailed on December 30th and the second batch for February 1st were mailed on Wednesday. (1-5)

Danny Davis with court administration says the judge requested four panels of 55 potential jurors a piece for a total of 220.

Davis said they mailed out 530 summons in hopes of getting that panel of 220.

http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/headlines/Jurors_in_Hilton_Trial_to_be_113041224.html

Today's Update:

UPDATED 1.10.2011 by Julie Montanaro 11:45pm

Gary Michael Hilton has made a personal request for a change of venue, in addition to the 30 page motion filed by his attorneys.

A letter dated January 8th, includes Hilton's own signature at the bottom.

Hilton says "All of the publicity and comments thereof show that Tallahassee and Leon County has a bias in favor of Ms. Cheryl Dunlap and against me. I do not believe that these communities can fairly and impartially decide my guilt or whether I should die."

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Jurors_in_Hilton_Trial_to_be_113041224.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back