MO MO - Kansas City, George Rd, WhtFem 32-52, UP5310, in remote area, PMI: 2 weeks, May'81

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Hot Case 2287
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase2287.html
NamUs UP Case 5310 https://identifyus.org/cases/5310

No Image Available

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on May 16, 1981 in Jackson County, Missouri.
* Estimated Date of Death: Unknown.
* State of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton.
* Cause and Manner of Death: Unknown.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated Age: 4-15 years old.
* Approximate Height and Weight: Unknown.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair and unknown eye color.
* Clothing: Unknown.
* Medical: Fractured right rib.
* Dentals: Not available.
* DNA: Unknown.
* Fingerprints: Not available.

Case History
The victim was found in Jackson County, Missouri, on May 16, 1981.

The above case showed up in yesterday's DoeNet additions, and it caught my attention because the age of the victim.

I can't believe that they can't narrow the age range tighter than 4-15. After all, a 4-year old's teeth and bones are completely different from those of a 15-year old.

But if we presume the lower end of the range - This could be:

Sheri Lynn Johnson
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/johnson_sheri.html
johnson_sheri.jpg
johnson_sheri2.jpg
johnson_sheri3.jpg

She went missing from Independence, MO, which is in Jackson County. There is no indication where in Jackson County the remains were found.

And she did have brown hair, as did the UID.

Not a lot else to go on, but she fits on all available info.

I have a feeling the UID is on the younger side of the spectrum.

Granted, it would be unusual for a 4 year old to have a previously broken rib, unless of course you had Henry Lee Harbison as a stepfather.

The above case showed up in yesterday's DoeNet additions, and it caught my attention because the age of the victim.

I can't believe that they can't narrow the age range tighter than 4-15. After all, a 4-year old's teeth and bones are completely different from those of a 15-year old.

But if we presume the lower end of the range - This could be:

Sheri Lynn Johnson
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/johnson_sheri.html
johnson_sheri.jpg
johnson_sheri2.jpg
johnson_sheri3.jpg

She went missing from Independence, MO, which is in Jackson County. There is no indication where in Jackson County the remains were found.

And she did have brown hair, as did the UID.

Not a lot else to go on, but she fits on all available info.

I was on the Doe Network site last night and I showed my husband this UID. First thing he said is that he can't believe they can't narrow down the age... (and he doesn't even look at this stuff) Having teenagers and little ones myself, I would think that since my 7 year old son is like 60lbs and a foot shorter than my 16 year old daughter, you would think they would be able to narrow it down... (and also with the teeth, my kids started losing their baby teeth when they were 5.. and my 14 year old daughter had all of her adult teeth by time she was 12)

I was on the Doe Network site last night and I showed my husband this UID. First thing he said is that he can't believe they can't narrow down the age... (and he doesn't even look at this stuff) Having teenagers and little ones myself, I would think that since my 7 year old son is like 60lbs and a foot shorter than my 16 year old daughter, you would think they would be able to narrow it down... (and also with the teeth, my kids started losing their baby teeth when they were 5.. and my 14 year old daughter had all of her adult teeth by time she was 12)

It says they don't have dentals, so maybe skull/jaw were not among the remains found. There's also no height estimate. If they didn't have skull or long bones, it could become very difficult to estimate the age.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 2287
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase2287.html
NamUs UP Case 5310 https://identifyus.org/cases/5310

No Image Available

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on May 16, 1981 in Jackson County, Missouri.
* Estimated Date of Death: Unknown.
* State of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton.
* Cause and Manner of Death: Unknown.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated Age: 4-15 years old.
* Approximate Height and Weight: Unknown.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair and unknown eye color.
* Clothing: Unknown.
* Medical: Fractured right rib.
* Dentals: Not available.
* DNA: Unknown.
* Fingerprints: Not available.

Case History
The victim was found in Jackson County, Missouri, on May 16, 1981.

If there weren't enough remains to get a closer age estimate, how do they know her hair color?

If there weren't enough remains to get a closer age estimate, how do they know her hair color?

It could have been a partial skull, or maybe there was hair clinging to some other bone. I'm guessing that might be it, based on lack of information, but it's also possible they just did a sketchy or careless examination.

per the Namus link, the UID was a white woman between the ages of 33 and 45, not a child.

Three ruleouts:

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Freda Denman 1947 Missouri
Loy Evitts 1947 Missouri
Rita Rinehart 1948 Missouri

https://identifyus.org/cases/5310

The age range is now given as 32 to 52. Height 65". Her DNA has been submitted but there's no sketch or reconstruction.

Circumstances
Remains were found on George Rd, just north of Noland Rd (KCMO) by a stranger while looking for firewood in a desolate area. The finder removed the remains off the roadway and placed them in a box and took them home. That is when he notified police. He removed the remains because he was afraid dogs would carry them off. No one was seen at or near the recovery site when remains were found.

Physical/Medical

Bilateral depressed skull fractures, fracture lines into occipital, frontal, sphenoid, maxillae and right palatine bones, possible pre-mortem bleeding into the right sigmoid sinus, degenerative osteoarthtritic changes of the right TMJ, old periosteal reaction of left zygomatic, moderate periodontic and alveolar resorbtion in maxillae and mandible, slight to moderate osteoarthritic changes in the vertebral column: primarily as ossified ligamentum flavum attachments, well healed fractures of Left Ribs (8-9-10), Anterior compression fracture of tenth (10th) thoracic vertebra, reparative dental work noted, absence of ALL first premolars and third molars, nasal septum deviation to left probably causing some nasal assymetry, assymetry in heights of orbits - the right being 1-2 mm higher than the left.

What about Tammy Surdam? Tammy was a child (12yo) and not an adult but they've been wrong before regarding age. Tammy went missing or was last seen in St. Charles County, MO in 1979. She apparently was a runaway so she could have been alive until she ran in to the wrong person. Tammy really doesn't have any specifics except for having strawberry blond hair and being 5'10 (which is tall for a 12 yo but not unheard of) and 130 lbs. Thoughts?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/34986

Kansas City Jane Doe has been unidentified for 39 years today.

Another case where the NAMUS map pin is not at the described location. Noland Road is east of the map pin.

I used to live in greater KC and am looking for a 1981 map.

JMHO YMMV

Another case where the NAMUS map pin is not at the described location. Noland Road is east of the map pin.

I used to live in greater KC and am looking for a 1981 map.

JMHO YMMV

The map pins are almost never at the exact spot. Unless somebody has taken time to actually enter it specifically, it defaults to the center of town, or a nearby part of the named street or road, or something like that. It's very annoying but understandable.

The map pins are almost never at the exact spot. Unless somebody has taken time to actually enter it specifically, it defaults to the center of town, or a nearby part of the named street or road, or something like that. It's very annoying but understandable.

Yes it is as you say, I myself had to search and find the precise point of an image to see where a UID was found in WV.

The post-mortem details state the bones showed signs of "degenerative osteoarthritic changes".
Which to me, means an older person. Aged approx. late 50's at a minimum, as generally speaking degenerative osteoarthritis doesn't start much before then?

MOO.

The post-mortem details state the bones showed signs of "degenerative osteoarthritic changes".
Which to me, means an older person. Aged approx. late 50's at a minimum, as generally speaking degenerative osteoarthritis doesn't start much before then?

MOO.

Yes, it likely means someone in the upper part of the age range, though that can vary depending on the person's genetics and environment. For instance somebody doing heavy manual labor might show arthritic signs at a younger age. The other skeletal markers of age, such as wear on the teeth, skull sutures, etc., might indicate a younger person as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back