So you can set your water on fire, what's the big fracking deal?

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Link

..."Tightly-regulated, environmentally sound natural gas development in New York can and will deliver a much-needed and long-lasting economic shot in the arm to not only communities along the Southern Tier, but for the entire state, just as it is in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and elsewhere," said a written statement from Klaber, president of the Marcellus Shale Coalition.

Using hydraulic fracturing, drillers pump large amounts of water mixed with sand and chemicals into the shale formation thousands of feet underground under high pressure. Fracturing the shale around the gas well then allows the natural gas to flow freely.

The process has raised concerns about whether those chemicals are contaminating the underground water. Some residents near hydraulic fracturing drill sites along the Delaware River Basin -- located in Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania -- have been able to set their water on fire....

[ame]http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/09/13/griffin.gas.danger.cnn[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01EK76Sy4A[/ame]

I think that would upset me a lot. :furious:

It seems that the process is losing a lot of the natural gas in the water and therefore are losing a lot of money in the water, JMO.

You'd think it might behoove the gas companies to devise a way to filter the water.

Ironically on CSI there was a recent episode involving fracking. It's a serious issue in NY

That is very disturbing! Not only the waste of natural gas and monetary concerns, but do you that live in NY drink that stuff!!!!!

I first learned about this watching the documentary "Gasland" have any of you seen it? Scary, scary stuff......

Fortunately, I live close enough to the city to get city water and our city uses three filters. I think these are people who subsist on well water.

Very, very, extremely scary.

Thank you so much for sharing this because honestly, it is unbelievable.

Wow. That's all I can really say.

Link

Big frack attack: Is hydraulic fracturing safe?

Natural gas is cleaner than coal and oil, helping make it the hottest fossil fuel in America lately. But a controversial drilling technique known as 'fracking' has some wondering if a U.S. natural gas boom is worth the risks....

Thanks, that's a good article. I'm glad I live in NYS which is taking a let's wait and see approach so far. It seems in this country that we have to have it right away. Whenever you buy a Windows edition for your computer they keep adding service packs for years. That's not so bad unless you have your identity stolen because Microsoft didn't notice an easy way for hackers to attack your computer.

Here we're talking about water. The essential ingredient for life. You can live a lot longer not eating than drinking. I'd like to see one of these gas company CEO's move to a house that uses well water and vow, just before they start fracking, that he'll drink water from his well for the rest of his life.

Yes, SteelyDan, I did. Adding clarifying emoticon as follows:

:thud:

Flabbergasted response based on near-unbelievable circumstances.

It seems the almighty dollar is more important than taking care of people. JMO

I first learned about this watching the documentary "Gasland" have any of you seen it? Scary, scary stuff......

I have that documentary saved on my DVD player. These people were lead to believe this was a harmless way to make a little money with their land. When the people started holding a flame to the faucet and it would catch on fire I knew, somebody made a big mistake. When the media got a hold of the story, it was only then they admitted they made a mistake. They dug to deep. There were no regulations as usual. Now these people are sick, they've lost their livestock and pets it's bad really bad. The thing that really makes me upset is we can use other sources. It would have been just as easy to stick up some solar panels or wind mills, but maybe that would have been to easy and safe.

I have that documentary saved on my DVD player. These people were lead to believe this was a harmless way to make a little money with their land. When the people started holding a flame to the faucet and it would catch on fire I knew, somebody made a big mistake. When the media got a hold of the story, it was only then they admitted they made a mistake. They dug to deep. There were no regulations as usual. Now these people are sick, they've lost their livestock and pets it's bad really bad. The thing that really makes me upset is we can use other sources. It would have been just as easy to stick up some solar panels or wind mills, but maybe that would have been to easy and safe.

[sarcasm]There's no reason for regulations because the market polices itself and it makes things more expensive[/sarcasm]

Some regulations are stupid and unnecessary but when things like this happen they need to say STOP! Let's look into this a lot more before we continue. Once again we are faced with the "It doesn't affect me, it saves me money", I don't give a crap attitude by a lot if not most Americans. However, as soon as it does affect them they're up in arms against it.

Tainted drinking water found near gas wells
By Steve Hargreaves, senior writer @CNNMoney May 9, 2011: 5:53 PM ET

natural-gas.top.jpg

The Duke report finds high levels of methane in half of water wells near drill sites.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- A new study from Duke University found potentially explosive levels of methane in drinking water supplies located close to natural gas wells.

A new study from Duke University found potentially toxic levels of methane in drinking water near natural gas wells -- levels so high they create the risk of explosion....

The gas industry's response is laughable, JMO

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110710/NEWS01/107100332/1168/RSS

Legal challenges expected if hydrofracking allowed
4:53 AM, Jul. 10, 2011

ALBANY — During the three-year debate over the merits of hydraulic fracturing for natural gas in New York, advocates and opponents haven't been able to agree on much of anything.

Nearly everyone involved, however, will concede this: As the state moves closer to allowing high-volume hydrofracking in the Marcellus Shale, there likely will be lawsuits....

This is a cool. It's a documentary called "The Sky is Pink"

[ame="http://vimeo.com/44367635"]THE SKY IS PINK by Josh Fox and the GASLAND Team on Vimeo[/ame]

Thank you Steely. I saw this on JVM and look forward to watching. Have you watched GASLAND? It is an eye opening documentary!

I hope they stay the frack out of NC. But a bill recently passed in the House (IIRC) to explore fracking. It passed by one vote when a democrat accidentally pressed the wrong button. Vote 'er out, I say!

wm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/05/us-usa-earthquakes-oklahoma-idUSBREA340JO20140405

Series of small earthquakes rock Oklahoma in record seismic activity
By Carey Gillam
Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:01pm EDT

...Wastewater disposal related to the fracking is suspected by many scientists to contribute to the earthquake activity. Millions of gallons of wastewater are typically trucked from a fracking site to wells where the water is injected thousands of feet underground into porous rock layers. That work, if done near a fault, can trigger larger quakes, according to several recent scientific studies.

Oklahoma recorded 278 earthquakes from 2008 through 2013 that have registered on the Richter scale at a magnitude of 3.0 or greater, a level that can shake objects inside a home.

Before that, from 1975-2008, the state on average recorded less than six earthquakes a year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back