NY - Rabbi Gershon Kranczer & Sons Accused of Sexually Abusing Girls, Brooklyn, 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Another case of father & sons [allegedly] abusing his daughters/their sisters...sadly it looks as tho the 'mother' has chosen to protect the perps.

Updated: Friday, 03 Dec 2010, 9:31 PM EST
Published : Friday, 03 Dec 2010, 9:31 PM EST

COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - A Hasidic rabbi and three of his sons are suspected of sexually abusing at least four female relatives, after the rabbi's eldest victim — his daughter — confided in a co-worker at a Jewish school, police said Friday.

The 58-year-old father and his 21-year-old son fled to Israel two days ago and are wanted for questioning in the case, police said. They were apparently driven to the airport by the mother.

Two other sons, a 24-year-old and a 15-year-old, were arrested on sexual abuse and rape charges. It was unclear whether they had attorneys, and a message left at the home wasn't immediately returned.

Police say the abuse came to light after the oldest victim, now 20, who worked as a teacher's aide at a yeshiva, a religious school, in Brooklyn, told a teacher there she had been abused. Authorities believe she was assaulted by her father repeatedly for 15 years. The other victims range in age from 8 to 19, and investigators believe the abuse was also repeated.

more here

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loc...ccused-of-sexually-abusing-girls-20101203-apx

Former Yeshiva Principal Sought on Abuse Charges

By KAREEM FAHIM and AL BAKER
Published: December 3, 2010

A former Brooklyn yeshiva principal and three of his sons sexually abused four of the principal’s other children, molesting one of the victims over 15 years, the authorities said Friday.

The police are still looking for the man, Rabbi Gershon Kranczer, 58, and one of his sons, Asher Kranczer, 21, who they believe fled to Israel earlier this week. Another son, Yechezkel Kranczer, 24, turned himself in to the police on Thursday and has been charged with 70 counts of sexual abuse and 2 counts of endangering the welfare of a child.

The third son, a 15-year-old whose name was withheld by the authorities, was brought in for questioning on Wednesday, made statements implicating himself in the abuse and was arrested, said Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman.

The authorities believe the abuse occurred in a three-story house in Midwood, Brooklyn, that Rabbi Kranczer shared with his wife and 12 of his 14 children. Neighbors said the family had lived in the house for more than 20 years. A law enforcement official said the house had a large kitchen and several bunk beds.

more here

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/nyregion/04family.html?_r=1&src=twrhp

Aghhh. What is the matter with these people???

WOW!!!
and nobody detected anything wrong for all of these years:waitasec:
from a neighbor......
Mr. Borger said he and Rabbi Kranczer attended the same synagogue and had gone to each other’s weddings. “The kindest, most helpful people you’d ever want to meet,” he said. “I’d sooner believe Mayor Bloomberg did it.” Mr. Borger said “children’s services” visited the house years ago, but he believed nothing came of any accusations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/nyregion/04family.html?src=twrhp

Brooklyn Rabbi Gershon Kranczer and sons accused of sexually abusing relatives, young girls:

ALL ARE JUST SNIPPS:

Detectives suspect Rabbi Gershon Kranczer, 58, abused two underage relatives, while three of his sons - ages 24, 21 and 15 - repeatedly attacked other girls, police said.
-----------
The horrifying abuse came to light when the oldest victim, a 20-year-old woman, told a co-worker at a yeshiva the rabbi had sexually assaulted her. The co-worker went to cops, who soon learned that three of the victim's female relatives - ages 19, 17 and 8 - also allegedly were abused in the rabbi's home.
-----------
The 20-year-old said she was frequently molested by Gershon Kranczer - the former head of Yeshiva Tehila L'Dovid - for the past 15 years, police said.
-----------
Neighbors were stunned at the allegations. "I've known him for 32 years, and he's an angel, a saint," said friend Sol Borger, 60. "Whenever I need anything, I know I can go to him. There's no way he would do this."
-----------
The couple's children range in age from 10 to 28, and those younger than 18 were removed and placed in the care of the Administration for Children's Services.
-----------
Investigators do not believe Kranczer's wife was involved in the pattern of abuse and may have unwittingly given her husband a ride to Kennedy Airport on Monday, police sources said.
----------
NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said cops were coordinating with Israeli authorities to track down the fugitives.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...xually_abusing_relatives_y.html#ixzz179r5o462

Aghhh. What is the matter with these people???

I think that many kind of phonetic groups, where the restrictions are many, go out of balance.
The very orthodox have been known for sexual imbalances.
sometimes they go after young boys.
I do not trust any phonetic group.

Brooklyn Rabbi Gershon Kranczer and sons accused of sexually abusing relatives, young girls:

ALL ARE JUST SNIPPS:

Detectives suspect Rabbi Gershon Kranczer, 58, abused two underage relatives, while three of his sons - ages 24, 21 and 15 - repeatedly attacked other girls, police said.
-----------
The horrifying abuse came to light when the oldest victim, a 20-year-old woman, told a co-worker at a yeshiva the rabbi had sexually assaulted her. The co-worker went to cops, who soon learned that three of the victim's female relatives - ages 19, 17 and 8 - also allegedly were abused in the rabbi's home.
-----------
The 20-year-old said she was frequently molested by Gershon Kranczer - the former head of Yeshiva Tehila L'Dovid - for the past 15 years, police said.
-----------
Neighbors were stunned at the allegations. "I've known him for 32 years, and he's an angel, a saint," said friend Sol Borger, 60. "Whenever I need anything, I know I can go to him. There's no way he would do this."
-----------
The couple's children range in age from 10 to 28, and those younger than 18 were removed and placed in the care of the Administration for Children's Services.
-----------
Investigators do not believe Kranczer's wife was involved in the pattern of abuse and may have unwittingly given her husband a ride to Kennedy Airport on Monday, police sources said.
----------
NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said cops were coordinating with Israeli authorities to track down the fugitives.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...xually_abusing_relatives_y.html#ixzz179r5o462

BBM - Was this trip out of the blue or had it been planned in advance?

You know, I really hate when someone says.. "no way would he have done this." We (none of us), knows what goes on behind closed doors and to say "he didn't do it" - means the daughter is a liar.

I feel so bad for her and the others, this SOB and his "disciples" have messed these girls up for life. How does one recover from 15 years of rape?

Prayers of strength and healing, for them to get thru the hard times ahead. At least they are free from anymore physical attacks.

I suspect they got wind that the police were closing in and absconded. On the other hand, wouldn't all of them have gone? So confusing. I hope they track these men down and get them extradited back here to face the music.

BBM - Was this trip out of the blue or had it been planned in advance?

You know, I really hate when someone says.. "no way would he have done this." We (none of us), knows what goes on behind closed doors and to say "he didn't do it" - means the daughter is a liar.

I feel so bad for her and the others, this SOB and his "disciples" have messed these girls up for life. How does one recover from 15 years of rape?

Prayers of strength and healing, for them to get thru the hard times ahead. At least they are free from anymore physical attacks.

Not sure, I have been looking to see if his trip was planned and why?
I imagine, he know the daughter told and he ran for his life.
I also imagine that he will hide amongst his own and it will take some time to find him. (they dress alike - hard to distinguish).

as far as people saying NO WAY he could have done this,
I have met snake charmers, we all have. While there is no way to know what happened behind his closed doors.
He can easily be one of those camillians. :( :(

I suspect they got wind that the police were closing in and absconded. On the other hand, wouldn't all of them have gone? So confusing. I hope they track these men down and get them extradited back here to face the music.

This is what I was thinking; the son he took with him is legally blind and he went to hide him out, because that boy would not make it through a trial, or through jail.
The other boys are not handicapped in any way, and I imagine the father will be back here and wont let the other boys take all the heat, but the blind boy will be hidden. :waitasec:

As the manhunt continued for the Brooklyn rabbi accused of sexually abusing female relatives, one of his sons was charged with a series of sickening attacks — and ordered to stay away from his underage victims.

Yechezkel Kranczer, 24, posted $10,000 bail and left Brooklyn Criminal Court Saturday afternoon after he was arraigned on charges of sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child.

more here

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local..._stay_away_from_children_neighbors_stunn.html

My heart goes out the victims. I wish I could say that they won't be ostracized within their community but they probably will. So many fundamentalist adherents seem to blame the victim. That is appalling.

FWIW, the US has an excellent extradition treaty with Israel and these charges will be taken very seriously. I know this as a pedophile therapist from Ashland, Samuel Arthur Silverman, absconded to Israel to flee his sentence. When he was located 8 years later, he was set for extradition. It was then discovered that the extradition laws in Israel only covered the rape of female children. Well, they set about fixing that and within a year, Silverman (he sat in jail while waiting) was returned and sent straight to the Oregon state pen. We have a thread on him.

Hopefully, these men won't be able to hide out as long as Silverman. Silverman was aided by his wife who is a doctor. My worry is always that there will be more victims while the perps are in hiding.

What did Silverman do during his 8 years on the lam? He tutored, what else?

Snipped from TM's Link..

Yechezkel Kranczer, 24, posted $10,000 bail and left Brooklyn Criminal Court Saturday afternoon after he was arraigned on charges of sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a child.

Yechezkel Kranczer, dressed in traditional Orthodox garb, made eye contact with the judge and simply uttered "Yes" when asked if he understood the charges — which are both misdemeanors — and the restraining order.

Please tell me the reporter got it wrong, that these charges (SA & Endangering The Welfare of a Child) are not misdemeanors!!

:furious::furious: sick, sick. SOB :banghead: :banghead:

LCoastMom--I'm researching that too. It can't be...can it? The 24 year old was told to stay away from his victims, female relatives aged 13 and 16. I cannot for the life of me believe that any form of sexual abuse against children that much younger than the assailant could be a misdemeanor but that's the way it is reported.

I hadn't realized that many of the 14 children (minors and adults) have disabilities as the Rabbi fathered the children with his first cousin. According to all reports, the mother was unaware of the abuse. I have to wonder if she has disabilities too or if she is just inured to this type of lifestyle.

There are probably better sites but this might answer the question:

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/part3.th.a130.html

It looks like there are a variety of crimes; sexual misconduct, forcible touching, sex abuse in the second degree, and sex abuse in the third degree which are listed as Class A and Class B (the most serious) misdemeanors. I'm sure the age of the victim would come into consideration.

FWIW, the ages of the victims are given differently in several articles. I would think crimes against some--namely those over 18--would merit different charges.

I thought the Rabbi had been caught!! But no, it was another Brooklyn Rabbi who fled to Israel after being arrested for sexual abuse of multiple children. He's been in Israel for over 20 years. Others may know this story but I did not:

From 2008:

http://www.survivorsforjustice.org/...cle&id=56:news20080211&catid=2:news&Itemid=57

Brooklyn Rabbi Accused of Sexual Abuse Loses Extradition Battle

"An Israeli judge ruled Sunday that a disgraced Brooklyn rabbi accused of sexually abusing children more than two decades ago can be extradited to the U.S.

Rabbi Avrohom Mondrowitz, who fled to the Jewish state in 1984 to avoid prosecution, could now be headed back to Brooklyn within a matter of months to face sodomy and sex abuse charges...."

more at link

If you're curious about Rabbi Mondrowitz (as I was), you might be interested in this earlier piece, from 2006:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=2555575&page=1 (note: 3 pgs.)

Child Sex Abuse Case Still Haunts
The Cold Case of Avrohom Mondrowitz and the Silencing of a Community

This a fabulous piece. As my AP English Lit teacher, Mrs. Yamazaki, would say, "Assigned reading/no argument"!! Quite a bit of insight into the cultural implications. Also note that they mention yet another Brooklyn Rabbi.

Heckola, from 2010:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rinkratz/4454964382/

(lots more info, here)

Not only will the Rabbi NOT be extradited but he will NOT be charged for child *advertiser censored* found in his home. Remember, I commented above that the treaty did not cover sodomy or homosexual acts? Well, it looks like the Rabbi's attorney argued successfully that that could not be used against him retroactively, when they modified it. I wonder why Ashland's Silverman (also a therapist), got nabbed?

Maybe I need to retract some of my earlier statements about a great extradition treaty. WTH?

So, the treaty didn't work to get Mondrowitz back. Why, with almost the same timeframe and same crimes, did it work to bring Silverman back? Here's a short post from the excellent source, "Survivors for Justice" I linked to above, about Silverman:

http://www.survivorsforjustice.org/...ender-extradited-to-us&catid=2:news&Itemid=57

I can attest to the fact that Silverman was brought back. I had my husband attend his sentencing hearing in Medford, OR in front of Judge Lisa Greif. He can also be found on Vinelink cooling his jets at Snake River. Maybe we won't run into these issues with Kranczer as he abused females. Cold, cold comfort.

I commented above about the victims being ostracized and blamed within their insular community. Make sure you note in the ABC piece exactly how that applied to the young men who stepped forward to talk about the heinous treatment meted out to them by the charismatic, popular, and "charming" Rabbi Mondrowitz.

These guys NEVER change. EVER......

This case has been bothering me as it closely parallels a case from my town. A man, who was convicted of sexually abusing children, fled to Israel and hid out for almost nine years. He's been extradited and is now serving his time.

Anyway, I was checking back on the case and noticed something. Rabbi Gershon Kranczer was said to have worked in a boys' school while he abused his daughters. Several of his sons abused their sisters. I just noticed that a person using the same name with another name added is the head counselor of a Jewish children's camp in the midwest. The man is 33. He is the contact person for the boys' section of the camp. Is this the same family? Has this been thoroughly checked out?

I have to plead ignorance of Jewish naming traditions. The name Kranczer does not seem especially common and this is another Rabbi Kranczer. Just wondering if the man from Brooklyn also traveled to the campground in Indiana each summer to teach or possibly this is another of his sons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back