GUILTY UT - Michele MacNeill, 50, found dead in bathtub, Pleasant Grove, 11 April 2007 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
I've been following this crazy case for a year. A wife dies seemingly by accident, surviving spouse sends adopted daughter back to the Ukraine and him and his girlfriend steal adopted daughters identity and that's just for starters! A book needs to be written or a movie made. I never posted a thread because it was so involved. I'm posting a thread now because an author by the name of Sara Lenz (Deseret News) has written a fantastic in depth piece on this case. It's very long, but I hope you find it as interesting as I have.

Martin MacNeill: Was his wife Michele's death accidental or was it murder?

Editor's note: For more than a year, Deseret News reporter Sara Lenz has investigated the life of Martin MacNeill. The information in this story comes from court documents, 911 calls, police reports, an autopsy report, a search warrant affidavit, psychology reports and dozens of interviews with investigators, attorneys, police officers, neighbors, victims and family members detailing why some believe MacNeill may have killed his wife, Michele.

Continue at link:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...s-death-accidental-or-was-it-murder.html?pg=1

I just started to read the above article. So very sad.
This is very interesting.
The poor children.
I'm only on page 7.
Will be back.........

I've been following this crazy case for a year. A wife dies seemingly by accident, surviving spouse sends adopted daughter back to the Ukraine and him and his girlfriend steal adopted daughters identity and that's just for starters! A book needs to be written or a movie made. I never posted a thread because it was so involved. I'm posting a thread now because an author by the name of Sara Lenz (Deseret News) has written a fantastic in depth piece on this case. It's very long, but I hope you find it as interesting as I have.

Martin MacNeill: Was his wife Michele's death accidental or was it murder?

Editor's note: For more than a year, Deseret News reporter Sara Lenz has investigated the life of Martin MacNeill. The information in this story comes from court documents, 911 calls, police reports, an autopsy report, a search warrant affidavit, psychology reports and dozens of interviews with investigators, attorneys, police officers, neighbors, victims and family members detailing why some believe MacNeill may have killed his wife, Michele.

Continue at link:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...s-death-accidental-or-was-it-murder.html?pg=1

Darn...won't load for me..anyone else having a problem with the link? ^i^

It takes a bit for the page to load. Maybe traffic overload or something?

Make sure y'all listen to the 911 call. It's listed on the first page and I can't link it here. I don't think it's in it's entirety.

(snip)
Years later, the Pleasant Grove dispatcher says she can still hear Martin's "aggressive, angry and condescending" voice as she tried to offer assistance. The calls were so unusual that the recordings were saved in order to provide training for other dispatchers.

Wow this is crazy! I just came across this article today and read the story. This is the first I have heard of it, but this is an interesting case.

Wow this is crazy! I just came across this article today and read the story. This is the first I have heard of it, but this is an interesting case.

I'd bet that there is so much about this guy and his life that it couldn't fit into 20 pages. The man is diabolical.

Some quotes from article

MacNeill used his position as a doctor to have access to women and used his title as attorney to get around the law.

Michele was absolutely beautiful! IMO

'If you only knew about his childhood …,' "

" 'Brilliant' forgery spree inspired by TV."

Martin had forged $35,000 in checks and had gone on a three-day spending spree

Martin was discharged from the military for schizophrenia

Martin had the know-how to kill his wife and make it look like an accident

Some even suspect Martin may have killed others

this is just from the first 2.5 pages

Martin served a six-month jail sentence for his forgery, theft and fraud charges

Martin obtained his medical license in 1987

The couple had 3 children by this time.

Martin worked part time at the BYU Health Center while earning a law degree

He graduated law school in 1990, taking a position as director of Medical Law Comp in Washington and then returning to Utah.

adopted five more children

Michele as one of the most kind, generous, loving people

Martin threatened to kill Michele and himself with a butcher knife after she caught him looking at *advertiser censored* in August of 2000.

Martin spent the night at Wasatch Mental Health.

Martin became verbally and mentally abusive to Michele

he no longer loved Michele he said, according to daughter.

daughter said that ' he didn't want the adopted daughters anymore'

Michele thought Martin was having an affair.

6 weeks before her death......Gypsy Willis....phone calls on record

After Michele's death, several women came forward with information about affairs and accusations of rape against Martin

8 days before her death Martin set up a face lift plastic surgery for Michele.
The surgeon prescribed Lortab syrup, Ambien, Oxycodone and Valium.

The doctor told investigators he had "never prescribed the combination of drugs listed above to a patient and would not have in this case had it not been for the recommendation of Martin MacNeill, and then only on the condition that Mr. MacNeill monitor the administration of the substances as a physician."

he may have overmedicated her mother....She didn't leave her mother's side after this.

Alexis said her mother had not asked for any medication and didn't need any for the pain
Michele feared her husband was giving her too much medication

Martin made numerous inconsistent statements regarding the facts surrounding his wife's death.

Martin withheld information from hospital personnel, the police and the medical examiner

911 call, Martin can be heard yelling to the dispatcher that his wife is unconscious and underwater in the bathtub.

told others his wife was found hanging on the outside of the tub

Michele's lividity formed on the back of her legs and buttocks, Michele died on her back.

911 call.......Martin's "aggressive, angry and condescending" voice

911 call so unusual the recordings were saved in order to provide training for other dispatchers.

Martin was "very insistent" that she take a photograph of him, "so that people would know that he was present." (at a health fair that morning)

young daughterl found her mother fully-clothed in the tub

full of reddish-brown water

neighbors also said they saw her mother sitting up in the tub.

neighbor seeing no water in the tub and said Michele was only wearing an upper undergarment.

neighbor arrived, he and Martin pulled Michele out of the tub and started CPR

Martin found her hunched over the tub, with her head inside, the affidavit states.

"dry drowning,"

found a pile of towels that were wet and bloody.

Alexis suspects her father had help from his girlfriend that day, though no one knows for sure.

In pictures taken by police, a pile of Michele's clothes that appear to be wet are next to the tub.
Alexis and Rachel found those clothes hours after the death in the garage and confirmed they were soaking wet with blood on them.

IMO, why wasn't Martin charged ??????

SUSIEQ/B] You have me so hooked now!!!

Michele's cause of death to include drug toxicity, and under manner of death, it says that Michele could not have administered medication to herself.

Martin told his LDS ward he was dying of a rare form of foot cancer, had multiple sclerosis and even used a cane during Michele's funeral.

Daughters saw him hauling hay and taking dry wall to basement....no health problems.

Martin's behavior there as "bizarre" and inconsistent with a bereaving husband

drugs had been administered to her less than an hour before her death

Her daughter thinks that her dad crushed the meds in mom's food.
Michele had quit taking meds.

Martin spoke at the funeral talked about his family as "the definition of dysfunctional"
only mentioned Michele in passing, never spoke about her life or characteristics

and said "What have I done to cause this?"

Martin had 1 of his children call Michele's 2 brothers and said not to come
end of highlights page 10

SUSIEQ/B] You have me so hooked now!!!

Michele's cause of death to include drug toxicity, and under manner of death, it says that Michele could not have administered medication to herself.

Martin told his LDS ward he was dying of a rare form of foot cancer, had multiple sclerosis and even used a cane during Michele's funeral.

Daughters saw him hauling hay and taking dry wall to basement....no health problems.

Martin's behavior there as "bizarre" and inconsistent with a bereaving husband

BBM. Cool, it was lonely being the only one hooked for so long. I honestly did not know where to start with this story.

Past coverage:

Utah man pleads guilty in identity-theft case

Published: Friday, June 5, 2009 6:17 p.m. MDT

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705308843/Utah-man-pleads-guilty-in-identity-theft-case.html

Pleasant Grove man's life built on years of lies

Published: Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009 12:00 a.m. MDT
By Sara Lenz, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705332613/Pleasant-Grove-mans-life-built-on-years-of-lies.html

Lies shatter Utah family

Published: Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2009 12:00 a.m. MST
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705345048/Lies-shatter-Utah-family.html

Imprisoned doctor Martin MacNeill loses his license for 10 years

Published: Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2010 12:00 a.m. MST
By Sara Lenz, Deseret News
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-MacNeill-loses-his-license-for-10-years.html

Pleasant Grove woman charged in identity theft case

Published: Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2009 12:00 a.m. MST
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ove-woman-charged-in-identity-theft-case.html

passionflower, did you catch his behavior at his school the day of murder was so wacky that someone filed a complaint?

Shame on this man for the truly evil things he has done and shame on the Police who didn't investigate Michelle's death properly in the first place.

I pray the children are able find some peace and that the daughter who was sent back to the Ukraine can overcome all of the rejection she must have faced in her short life.

I was shocked that after the forgery, only 6 months in jail and could become botha doctor and a lawyer after being a felon.
Back to reading more now.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member