GUILTY VA - Charles Poertner, 7, disabled, dies of neglect, Newport News, 7 June 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Child found covered in feces, dead fleas, dirt

Updated: Friday, 03 Dec 2010, 9:12 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 02 Dec 2010, 8:06 PM EST
MaryKay Mallonee

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) - A seven-year-old disabled boy who died of severe dehydration and medical and nutritional neglect weighed only 28 pounds when he was found dead at home, according to investigators. That's just one of the very disturbing new facts WAVY.com discovered Friday.

Police also say young Charles Poertner, who had cerebral palsy and was confined to a wheelchair with a feeding tube, was basically skin and bones and that his mother had left him on the floor in a diaper for several days and that he was covered in his own feces and dead bugs.
And Charles was not the only child living at that house. His two younger brothers were found there as well. Court documents say Heather's three-year-old son was found alive, but covered in dried fecal matter and locked in a bedroom dead-bolted from the outside so he couldn't get out. "There were "feces and urine on the mattress, walls and window and trash strewn about the room," according to court papers.

Heather's nine-month-old baby boy was found in his crib in a dirty diaper. The baby and the crib were both covered in urine and dried fecal matter, according to police. Bags of used diapers and piles of trash were also found in the baby's room.

more here

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/home/mother-arrested-for-murdering-son

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:
picture.php

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

Fly with the angels little Charles - and know only love & comfort forever

this is making me a bit too angry for this early in the morning

THis is my area it was on the news 3 or 4 days ago. Her husband is active duty stationed in Afghanistan too. I'm sure husband had no idea the condition of the place. They usually are gone for at least a year.

This is one of 10,000 reasons I just can't hang around this forum. Makes me physically ill. My three year old is building a fort with a blanket and the kitchen chairs. I think I need to go sit in it.
Heather Poertner admitted she had left Charles "on the living room floor for an undetermined amount of time, but for at least several days, in the same position and location as his deceased body was found," according to the court document.

Hell's too good for this monster.

Can't get this one outta my head. My kiddo is eating a peanut butter sandwich and popcorn and yogurt (Second Breakfast-lol.) I'm sitting here watching him, he's pretending to feed his robot, chattering away at our dog and I cannot fathom what kind of damage neglect/abuse to this degree causes. My son would go insane without someone to talk to, ask questions of and he loathes a dirty diaper, hopefully this will propel us towards potty training even faster. He's just 2.5 now, not quite three. I don't understand how you can have a child on a feeding tube without some kind of outside supervision/intervention? WTH is this woman's reasoning for this? WTH was she doing while one son lay dead on the floor (for days) while the others were shut away somewhere? Getting high? Drunk?

If this situation happened in my house my Dad would have to be caring for my son because my Mom would have stopped by during visitation hours at Jail and beat me to death. Even out of state I don't see how these things happen. Does no one ever see her children? Do kids with cerebral palsy not go to school? Doesn't her Mom speak to her three year old on the phone? What about Dad? Did he never speak to his middle child on the phone? My son speaks to his dad and my mom and my friends/sister on the telephone and he's 2.5.

I need to scrub my floors and bleach the tub. That always makes me feel better after reading at WS.

This just makes me sad today, because this was a choice and there's always a better one... sorry baby boys. Charles fly with the angels, no more chairs or tubes to tie you down.

I can't imagine what his daddy must think - going to that h3ll hole in the desert, then finding out his babies were in a h3ll hole here at home...

Thinking of those sweet children unable to defend themselves against that person who gave birth to them makes me want to scream. I can't call her their Mom, because she wasn't a Mom to them. Thank goodness the younger two are alive. I can only hope that they don't remember much of what has happened to them, and that they get the love and care they deserve.

when will this end!? When?!?

What in the h*77 is wrong with people. This question is not rhetorical. I really want to understand how we have spawned a nation of idiots with the maternal instincts of a knat.

Every day a new horror to outhorrify the last one. I am sick. I am angry and I want to stop this but how??!

when will this end!? When?!?

What in the h*77 is wrong with people. This question is not rhetorical. I really want to understand how we have spawned a nation of idiots with the maternal instincts of a knat.

Every day a new horror to outhorrify the last one. I am sick. I am angry and I want to stop this but how??!

Everyday, I hope and pray we find the answer to that exact question. How do we stop this?

I really believe it's going to get worse. It's the mental state and values of the coming generation. It's an epidemic. No one cares anymore. They're all 'me me me'. :furious:

These poor boys. Thankful that at least 2 of them were saved before it was too late.

RIP Charles. How sad to neglect a special needs child as if he was going through enough!

prayers for the father of these little ones. I cannot imagine his pain being deployed and hearing such news about the home situation. Heart wrenching. I also have to wonder, what sort of family support system this woman had while DH was off serving our needs? How could things have gotten so bad without someone knowing or intervening? So very sad. Thankfully the otehr two children have a chance to be cared for properly now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back