WA WA - Seattle, WhtMale >40, 754UMWA, @Transient Camp, clothes, Nike shoes, Blk Framed Glasses, Apr'90

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 754UMWA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/754umwa.html
754UMWA.jpg

Clothing & Bifocals

Unidentified Male

* The victim was discovered on April 16, 1990 in Seattle, King County, Washington
* Estimated Date of Death: At least six months prior
* Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: Over 40 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"-5'10"
* Clothing: He wore a gray, leisure suit jacket with small plaid print; a gray, button-down front shirt, Navy black and white striped slacks with a single key in the pocket, plus a second pair of light blue Sears work pants, waist 36 and a black and white knit, hounds tooth jacket, size 44. A pair of old-fashioned, black-framed bifocals also were found.
* Dentals: Available

Case History
The victim was located in a transient camp at 1216 S. Weller Street.
Other than some bones found in a South Seattle transient camp in 1990, there are few other clues.

Does anyone think that this man is wearing the same glasses?

Johnnie Ball
ball_johnnie.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/ball_johnnie.html

2694286970045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Both sets of glasses have similar frames with black tops, clear bottoms and metallic bridges.

I'm trying to decide if there is a similar white triangular shape at the upper-outside corners of the frame (on Johnnie's glasses). The photo is out of focus, so it's hard to tell. But there does appear to be such a marking on the left corner (viewer's right) of his glasses. It may be that the marking on the right is washed out by the poor focus of the photo.

I think they are different glasses Carl. While very similiar I think the top of the frames of the glasses Johnnie Ball is wearing look more straight across and the glasses found with the UID have more of a slight curved angle.

Johnnies glass seem to get higher towards their center and the UIDS don't.

hth

Being an optician, I notice some very distinct similarities in the glasses/lenses. The glasses appear to be the same to me, black horn rimmed, bottom rimless, metal dbl and both have the metal insets on the rim. The angle can make the top of the frame look slightly more flat or rounded depending, but what I suspect is that the zyl (or possibly nylon) frame has warped because of exposure to the elements. Heat or cold can make CR39 plastic lenses warp very easily causing the lenses to curve and push on the top of the frame (Glass lenses won't warp, but aren't safe for bottom rimless frames) Also, the distance prescription for Ball and for the DUI appears to be fairly minimal as there isn't a lot of distortion in the top half of the lenses, but both sets of lenses appear to have a myopic/minus prescription.

This is the fist time I can say, "my professional opinion" on websleuths. :D

Thank you tamar for your expert opinion! Now that you mention it, I agree and think I see where the glasses may have been 'warped' due to weather conditions. Your explaination made perfect sense. Thanks for sharing it.

Found this UID's NamUs page: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10816 Dentals are entered, no DNA available. I was hoping the NamUs would have something new (like a recon) but it has even less info than we had before :( Wonder how we can go about adding the details onto there.

I wasn't able to find a thread for this Seattle John Doe either. No reconstructions or any photos besides the photo of the clothing & bifcoals. NamUs noted he was under 80, Doe says 40+; I put the age at 40-80 for this title.

754UMWA - Unidentified Male​

754UMWA.jpg
CASE%20NUMBER1.jpg
CASE%20NUMBER.jpg

Clothing & Bifocals

Date of Discovery: April 16, 1990
Location of Discovery: Seattle, King County, Washington
Estimated Date of Death: At least six months prior
State of Remains: Skeletal remains
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: Over 40 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'6"
Weight: Cannot Estimate
Hair Color: Red/Auburn
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers​

Dentals:Available
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Black and white houndstooth (small knit) size 44 "Hagger" coat, gray ss "kentfield" size 16 shirt, navy blue with white stripes size 36 waist/30 length pants, light blue with green dress socks and Size 10, royal blue Nike running shoes.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Pair of black-framed bifocals. Executive glass Dobbs II style, farsighted, corrected for astygmatism.

Circumstances of Discovery​

The victim was located in a transient camp at 1216 S. Weller Street. Other than some bones found in a South Seattle transient camp in 1990, there are few other clues.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: King County Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: Unknown
Agency Phone Number: 206-731-3232
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 90-0485

Agency Name: Seattle Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Unknown
Agency Phone Number: 206-684-5426
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 90-152607

NCIC Case Number: Unknown