LA - Hope Thibodaux for obstruction in 2yo son's rape, Sun, 2010

Missizzy

Reaction score
Another WS poster brought this horrid story to my attention. It is appalling. Not only the abuse this baby boy endured but the lack of appropriate response from LE and the different agencies involved, IMO. While agencies are squabbling, there is a baby rapist running free in Louisiana. He/she must be stopped and brought to justice. If this person raped once, they've raped again. As a grandparent, I simply cannot imagine the sheer horror of taking a diaper off my tiny grandson and finding this damage. Surely, surely someone knows more.

And bless these grandparents for being a resource for their little guy. I hope he and they are offered all the services they are entitled to.

Please note that the grandparents' full names are used in this story but I've edited them out for confidentiality for the baby. I'll leave it up to the mods as to whether we can and should include them.

http://www.wdsu.com/r/25909790/detail.html

Investigation Into Sexual Abuse Of Toddler Stalls

Grandparents Want Justice For 2-Year-Old

"SUN, La. -- A Northshore couple is demanding action after their 2-year-old grandson was sexually abused. They claim the Washington Parish Sheriff's Office hasn't done enough to protect the boy, and other children, from a potential predator. And more than six months after the offense, an arrest has yet to be made.

DT and CT said they know that sharing what happened to their grandson makes people uncomfortable. It makes them uncomfortable, too. But they believe they had to come forward so no other child will have his innocence taken away...."

and

"..."He ran up to CT and said, 'PaPa, my hiney hurts. My hiney hurts.' And we were like, 'Why does your hiney hurt?'" DT said. "Never had a problem with changing his diaper. Went to go change his diaper (and) it took two of us to hold him down."
"He just went into hysterics," CT said.
"And when he started that, we knew something was wrong. You just know in your heart," DT said.
With tears in her eyes, DT inspected her grandson.
"He had a big bruise around his butt ... around his rectum," she said. "It was torn, bloody."

A couple of weeks later, blisters and lesions appeared on the boy's genitals and buttocks, which was documented in hospital records. The Ts feared it was herpes. Initial tests were negative, but their family doctor insists there is still a high likelihood that the lesions are due to the herpes virus, so testing will continue...."

and

"....The T family claims there was not even an open case file at the Sheriff's Department, and they demanded a meeting with the assigned detective and [Deputy Chief] Lyons.

"Their exact words (were), 'The baby is 2 years old. He doesn't know. He can't identify the perpetrator. So there is nothing we can do,' DT said....

more at link

There seems to be a person of interest. In the video interview at the link, the innuendo is that the person has a connection to LE. Parrish to Parish LE communication seems to leave alot to be desired or is the problem with Washington LE alone? Idk how this grandfather has stopped himself from seeking justice another way, it's been 6 months and this toddler will live with this the rest of his life.

Sure hope our Louisiana WSers help kick up a stir on this. There is a baby rapist living his life with no problem under the eyes of LE.

I literally HATED listing that child's injuries but we need to read them. So many WSers are parents/grandparents/lovers of little ones. Can you wrap your mind seeing that type of damage on an infant, your loved one, anyone--for that matter? It's brutal. Whoever did this is an animal and will strike again. Please, let's help find this person.

That's outrageous!

Bless that poor little boy and his family.

ETA: Since when has LE investigation been reliant on having a victim who can tell them who violated them? If LE can investigate crimes against animals and dead people, they can investigate crimes against children too young to talk! What a lame excuse.

Wow, whoever was minding him needs to be brought into the jail and kept there.

I have a kind of OT question, but is there an ombudsmen or LE oversight org, or other LE agency with jurisdiction, that the family can turn to? I think they did well to go to the media, but I was wondering what other options there are.

ETA: Off camera, Lyons also said, "If we discover any evidence of impropriety, we will turn it over to the State Police to investigate." I guess that would be the other option.

Wow, whoever was minding him needs to be brought into the jail and kept there.

It sounds like the biomom had him for the weekend, though the grandparents had custody, but left him with "friends" along with her other child (who I hope has been examined, just in case).

Hope Thibodaux admitted to leaving her 2-year-old son and daughter with friends at a trailer while she went out. Twenty-four hours later, she returned home to Calvin and Darnay's house, and the little boy ran into his grandpa's arms.

Sounds like they know EXACTLY who did this and someone in that police dept. is protecting him.

This just makes you sick reading it, imagine these poor grandparents......bless them for taking these children and loving them.

I hope they sue the police dept............something, there has to be something to pressure them into doing what is right.

Not only did this baby not deserve it.............we all know that these people escalate their crimes, who is to say that next time a baby will not be murdered.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Missizzy. I don't know how I missed the local news report, but seems I did. I've started composing a letter to Sheriff Crowe. Copies will go to the parish president and each city council member. I intend to challenge their claim (as stated on the parish website) that Washington Parish is "country livin' at its best!", and a "quiet and friendly place to raise your children..." They can start by arresting the creep who raped this poor little boy. :furious:

I would assume this sheriff is an elected official. Maybe a patition to oust him from office would open the eyes of the department and get an arrest. This is a tragic misjustice. Also if this baby is old enough to tell grandpa hes hurt hes old enough to point at a picture of who hurt him. I cant believe the babys mom is wanting people to mind thier own business. If this were my child Id be placing signs in front of the perps house stating them as a child molester. These things need to stop. Our babys are the future of our country.My prayers go out to this family.

I almost always try to be supportive and complimentary of LE as they have a heck of a job to do but I have to totally agree with WhyaDuck. Since when do they need the baby to testify when his injuries tell all. Dead people, comatose people, and tremendously developmentally disabled people can't testify!! And yet their injuries tell the story. FWIW, this little boy was actually very very detailed and astute in describing his injuries.

I applaud this couple for coming forward as they can't enjoy this type of attention and I have a strong feeling that they are trying their hardest to take care of their grandson's needs.

As to who they should turn to, I would think that Children's Services would immediately appoint a CASA or GAL to the boy. I hope that the family contacts a children's advocate concerning the services available to him. He's a crime victim and has had his parental rights terminated. He is entitled, by federal mandate, to an array of services.

Even though he is a tiny little guy, he can still benefit from play therapy, sensory integration (getting him acquainted with healthy touch again) therapy, and oversight by a highly skilled caseworker who can work with the grandparents to help him process this trauma.

Either we jump in now and take care of "our" baby or we pay later when "our" teen acts out. Simple as can be.

I would assume this sheriff is an elected official. Maybe a patition to oust him from office would open the eyes of the department and get an arrest. This is a tragic misjustice. Also if this baby is old enough to tell grandpa hes hurt hes old enough to point at a picture of who hurt him. I cant believe the babys mom is wanting people to mind thier own business. If this were my child Id be placing signs in front of the perps house stating them as a child molester. These things need to stop. Our babys are the future of our country.My prayers go out to this family.
Ironically, Washington Parish and neighboring St. Tammany Parish were the first two parishes in La. to require RSO's to place warning signs in front of their homes this Halloween. Go figure.

And a little OT, but just to show that a 2 year-old would remember the face of an abuser, here's another tragic story that appeared on nola.com today.
Beaten as a toddler, teenager struggles with disabilities
When he was 2½, Oz Decatur was beaten and left for dead by a man who then killed his mother. Now 16 years old and living with his grandmother in Monroe, Oz still bears the scars.

He experiences life from a wheelchair. He's learning to use a computerized voice box to speak for him. His disabilities all are a result of that beating in 1997, said his grandmother, Mary Decatur...

Several years ago, in the only way he knows how, Oz showed his grandmother that he remembered what happened to him when he was a toddler.

"He remembers his face." she said. "I had a stack of pictures with a newspaper article about the incident in it. He found the picture of that man. He pointed to the man and pointed to himself, and he frowned. That's how I know he remembers."
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/12/beaten_as_a_toddler_teenager_c.html

Oz is a cheerful 16 year-old now, but suffers permanent brain damage and will never speak. In school, he's making good progress learning to communicate through a computer. Near the end of the article, the grandmother states that she regrets that she cannot afford to buy a computer for their home. By later this afternoon, according to an article on another site, one was donated to him.

As for the grandmother of the first little boy, I see where on December 5, she posted the WDSU report on Governor Jindal's FB page in an effort to draw attention to the crime against her grandson. I was looking for a follow-up. Guess that answers my question.

One of my concerns, folks, is that without using the grandparents' name as they are given in the article, I am not certain that the WS thread will come up in a google search concerning this case. We, as a forum, need to make a stand on an issue like this. In other words, the more raised voices, the better.

I am hopeful that the mods might make an exception in this case, given the fact that the family's name is known locally and has been well reported.

And thank you, Bessie, for a very pertinent and timely article. Man, does it inform this case, IMO.

One of my concerns, folks, is that without using the grandparents' name as they are given in the article, I am not certain that the WS thread will come up in a google search concerning this case. We, as a forum, need to make a stand on an issue like this. In other words, the more raised voices, the better.

I am hopeful that the mods might make an exception in this case, given the fact that the family's name is known locally and has been well reported.

And thank you, Bessie, for a very pertinent and timely article. Man, does it inform this case, IMO.
I've been thinking along the same lines, Missizzy. I've commented in a few places around the web making sure to mention "Washington Parish" and "toddler". Type those words into a google search and WS comes up as the 6th or 7th hit.

I would like to hope that a petition, media and Nancy Grace could get this moving forward...

My personal concern over using the family name would harm the toddler's privacy, KWIM? However, I will tag this thread, and urge others to add more if they wish, as that helps it come up in searches, as well.

Here's a link to the contact page for the Washington Parish Sheriff's Office if anyone would like to send a comment.
http://www.wpsoweb.com/

Parish President Richard Thomas can be reached at
rthomas-at-wpgov.org. Other contact info here.
http://www.wpgov.org/Council.aspx

And for good measure -- in case this thread is read by a parent or grandparent in need of help -- a link to Hope House, the child advocacy center that serves Washington and St. Tammany Parishes.

http://www.cachopehouse.org/gethelp.html

My personal concern over using the family name would harm the toddler's privacy, KWIM? However, I will tag this thread, and urge others to add more if they wish, as that helps it come up in searches, as well.

Would it make a difference if the child's last name is not the same? Idk, the gma has a private FB that lists her email there.

Praying for these wonderful grandparents, this precious toddler and all the children this freak has/may come into contact with. This is a really bad time of year when families and friends come together in a trusting/loving/giving environment with their guard down. LE needs to get this baby rapist out of society now. God protect them.

Thanks to WDSU for doing this story, it is a public service announcement in the form of an article.

Lets not let the statute of limitations run out on this pervert.

There seems to be a person of interest. In the video interview at the link, the innuendo is that the person has a connection to LE. Parrish to Parish LE communication seems to leave alot to be desired or is the problem with Washington LE alone? Idk how this grandfather has stopped himself from seeking justice another way, it's been 6 months and this toddler will live with this the rest of his life.

Sure hope our Louisiana WSers help kick up a stir on this. There is a baby rapist living his life with no problem under the eyes of LE.

BBM: This is not surprising to me at all. The State Police should be involved in this situation. There is a very valid possibility that this rapist is being protected by someone in LE. I too am surprised that this rapist has not been invited on a little boat ride in the bayou.

BBM: This is not surprising to me at all. The State Police should be involved in this situation. There is a very valid possibility that this rapist is being protected by someone in LE. I too am surprised that this rapist has not been invited on a little boat ride in the bayou.

Perhaps for legal reasons WDSU couldn't name the person that the grandparents believe is responsible but sure wish we knew so that we could sleuth out this freak.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back