GUILTY CA - Alexander Cervantes for stabbing, rape of 13yo girl, Vacaville, 2010

LCoastMom

JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE MARIE - STILL WAITING
Reaction score
Vacaville Police arrested a teenager Sunday who reportedly broke into a house and stabbed two children, one of them an 18-month-old toddler, while they were sleeping.

Just before 3 a.m. Sunday, a 13-year-old girl was sleeping in bed next to her 18-month-old brother, until she was awakened by an intruder who was stabbing her in the back.

“Unfortunately the 13 year old was sexually assaulted during the course of this,” said Sgt. Denise Quatman of the Vacaville Police. “When the 18-month - old woke up, he was also assaulted and stabbed.”

http://www.ktvu.com/news/26108244/detail.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

The young victim grabbed her baby brother and escaped to a neighbors house where the police were called.

After waiting nearly 2 hours for the PERP to come out of the house the SWAT team broke in and found the 14 yr old attacker, sleeping inside! The attacker knows the victims older brother, but it is unknown how he entered the house or why he attacked the children. Police said he has a criminal history.

Mom (using that term lightly today) had gone out the night before. She showed up at the house Sunday at 9 A.M. and found out her kids were in critical condition at UC Davis Medical Center.

The girl was stabbed more than 30 times and the toddler was stabbed 10 times in the torso area. They are both expected to recover.

Those poor children. I will wait on judgment of mom as I don't have enough facts to condem her absence yet. The article mentions an older brother who apparently was not at home (at least the article does not mention he was). 13 is technically old enough to be left in charge of siblings but I would not be comfortable with an overnight babysit with a 13 year old. It is possible that someone was supposed to be checking in, supervising in some way.

Til I have more facts I have to sit back on that one. I can say that I am darn sure mom never expected a 14 year old associate of her son's to break in and rape stab her daughter more than 30 times and her toddler 10 times.

The 13-year-old girl was babysitting her 18-month-old brother at their home, while their mother was away, police said. The two were alone in the home.

Vacaville police Sgt. Denise Quatman said that the girl showed "great courage" and, after getting the suspect to go to sleep, took the baby and made her way to a neighbor's home and called police.

Although the suspect has had prior encounters with police, Quatman said that is was nothing that would have given any indication that he was capable of something of this magnitude.

Police are still investigating whether the suspect forced his way into the house or entered through a door that had been left unlocked but, Quatman said, "he was definitely someone who wasn't supposed to be there."

The suspect was booked into Solano County Juvenile Hall on suspicion of two counts of attempted homicide and multiple sexual assault-related counts, police said.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_16845605

While I may be rushing to judgement on this mother - the reason I question her parenting ability is she showed up at home at 9 A.M. almost 6 1/2 hours after her babies were viciously assaulted and police were called... I have a problem with that.

If she were working, it seems to me that someone would have had a contact number for her. If she was sitting up all night caring for her sick grandma - someone should have had a contact number for her. (One of the articles mentioned the 13 yr old took the baby and her cell phone when she left.)

I'm not blaming her in the least - this could have happened while she was sleeping in the same home - she could have been at work and assumed her babies were tucked safely in their bed - but she was out of contact for 6 1/2 hours after the assault - for that I question her ability to keep her children safe. It's a shame she is in this position - but my sympathy is for her babies, who are lying in a hospital bed - in critical condition after being viciously assaulted.

This young girl had amazing presence of mind for a 13 yr old (or any crime victim) to talk the perp into going to sleep - then getting herself and the baby out of the house, after suffering over 30 stab wounds and a sexual assault, it sounds like she saved both of their lives.

totally agree Lcoast, would not have been me, but still, if she acted irresponsibly by leaving the 13 year old in charge without having them checked upon - I am betting she is certainly punishing herself at this moment.

The facts as we know them thus far seem to point to someone who acted in a way I and most mothers I know would not. But I am trying to show restraint and leave the blame with the 14 year old attacker and not on mom for the moment.

This doesn't mean I don't compltely get your misgivings about mom's decision making.

I gotta question the mother here as well. I just can't picture leaving a 13-year-old in charge of a toddler alone overnight and having no contact information. Something is just off with that. Obviously she is not responsible for what the boy did, but that is still a long time to leave young children alone. Would this have happened were she at home or had a sitter? Who knows?

I'm just very funny about kids being left alone. I was left alone overnight from the age of 11 because my parents worked shift work. It was very frightening. I had a brother present who was 2 years older, but he only made my life hell and it was worse at night with no parents at home. So, I admit I am biased by my experiences. And for the record, I had no contact information for my parents either.

I gotta question the mother here as well. I just can't picture leaving a 13-year-old in charge of a toddler alone overnight and having no contact information. Something is just off with that. Obviously she is not responsible for what the boy did, but that is still a long time to leave young children alone. Would this have happened were she at home or had a sitter? Who knows?

I'm just very funny about kids being left alone. I was left alone overnight from the age of 11 because my parents worked shift work. It was very frightening. I had a brother present who was 2 years older, but he only made my life hell and it was worse at night with no parents at home. So, I admit I am biased by my experiences. And for the record, I had no contact information for my parents either.

Belinda - I completely agree -

I remember babysitting when I was 11/12 - later, but before I could drive (at 16), I sat for one family for several days at a time, including overnights, on several occasions - I loved it!

I left (12 or 13 yr old) #1DD to babysit in the evening, after #2 & #3 were in bed, just 1 time - I was only gone a few hours, but she hated it. That was it, for several years - even then, I would never have left them alone overnight.

I've also always been one of those crazy's who leaves a list of every number anyone could possibly need, when leaving the kids with a sitter (including the vet for the pets). Maybe it was was just my OCDness, IDK - but it worked for us.

OMG...

Mother Defends Suspect In Stabbing Of Teen, Toddler​

The mother of a 14-year-old boy accused of carrying out a vicious attack on two Vacaville children says her son was framed.

Investigators said the suspect is an acquaintance of the girl's older brother, who is currently in juvenile hall.

The suspect’s mother said Monday evening that her son was being framed. She did not want to be identified, but said that her son got into trouble drinking that night with other teens.

“They took him over there and once they were in the house they pushed him on the floor. Then he heard the girl crying and crying,” said the suspect’s mother. “Then he said they grabbed me mom and took off all my clothes and they took me to the bed.”

The Vacaville Unified School District confirmed that the suspect is a freshman at Will C. Wood High School. Fellow students were stunned upon hearing the news Monday and said he kept to himself. “Very quiet and not social,” said Will C. Wood High student Amanda Clary.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/26125714/detail.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

Ummm, right.

But then again, I guess it wouldn't surprise me much if it were true.

Father Stunned By Savage Attack Of Teenage Daughter

VACAVILLE, Calif. - As he stood in front of his former’s wife Vacaville home Monday, the victim's father's mind reeled as he tried to comprehend the savage attack on his daughter as she lay in her bed sleeping.

“I’m on my way out of town and I just heard about this,” the girl's father Martin told KTVU. “I warned them…It’s not cool for my daughter to be home like that. She’s only 13-years-old. I just don’t know. I got to go see my daughter.”

“Crimes like this, you just don’t know…To do something like that to my little girl, how could he… I’m just in shock right now. I don’t know how to react.

Fortunately, a second daughter who is 11 was staying with her father at the time of the attack. He and his ex-wife have joint custody of the children.

Perez said his daughter knew her attacker. “My daughter asked, ‘Why are you doing this?’ And he said, ‘Out of revenge’ or something.”

Police were still investigating the incident Monday and looking into why the children were left home alone overnight by their mother, who didn’t return home until 9 a.m., hours after SWAT removed the suspect from the home.

Perez, who shares custody of the daughter, said he has questions himself.
“Why was my daughter alone that late? She is 13 years old,” said Perez.

Perez said it was heartbreaking seeing his 13-year-old daughter in a hospital bed with more than 30 stab wounds on her body.

The 13 yr old victim's father said the children were out of ICU late yesterday and their condition has been upgraded.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/26108244/detail.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

as to the 14 year olds mothers statements, eh hem. Yeah. This kids story puts me in mind of the actor currently doing a stint on celebrity rehab. Jeremy claims he was kidnapped and carjacked and oh yeah, forced to smoke crack by and with his captors.

Yeah. This kids story makes about as much sense as that one.

As to the fathers shocked reaction, I feel for him, poor man. Can anyone else see the custody battle train comin down the tracks?

Teen To Be Charged as an Adult

VACAVILLE, Calif -- A 14-year-old boy accused of raping and stabbing a teenage girl and stabbing her young brother at their Vacaville home over the weekend will be tried as an adult, police said Tuesday.

The suspect, Alexander Cervantes, is being held in the Solano County Juvenile Hall on $9 million bail and faces 15 charges stemming from the Sunday attack, which left the 13-year-old girl suffering from more than 30 stab wounds, police said. The girl's 18-month-old brother was also stabbed more than 10 times.

Cervantes faces:

two counts of attempted murder;

two counts of torture;

one count each of sodomy, rape, and oral copulation on a child under 14;

one count of sexual penetration with a foreign object;

one count of forcible lewd act on a child.

two counts of burglary

one count of assault with intent to commit rape

two counts of aggravated mayhem

http://www.ktvu.com/news/26136923/detail.html

Right about now I'm seriously loving some VACAVILLE, CA LEOs / Court Officials! It appears they are not buying the creeps story either! They have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this POC, who harmed these two young children - then lied to his mama about it!

No further word on the victim / children's condition.

26135105_640X480.jpg

14 yr old pleads not guilty to all counts.

Kids reported upgraded in stable but critical condition -

OMG...

Mother Defends Suspect In Stabbing Of Teen, Toddler​

The mother of a 14-year-old boy accused of carrying out a vicious attack on two Vacaville children says her son was framed.

Investigators said the suspect is an acquaintance of the girl's older brother, who is currently in juvenile hall.

The suspect’s mother said Monday evening that her son was being framed. She did not want to be identified, but said that her son got into trouble drinking that night with other teens.

“They took him over there and once they were in the house they pushed him on the floor. Then he heard the girl crying and crying,” said the suspect’s mother. “Then he said they grabbed me mom and took off all my clothes and they took me to the bed.”

The Vacaville Unified School District confirmed that the suspect is a freshman at Will C. Wood High School. Fellow students were stunned upon hearing the news Monday and said he kept to himself. “Very quiet and not social,” said Will C. Wood High student Amanda Clary.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/26125714/detail.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

I'm guessing the kid left a little DNA at the scene? Should be easy enough to sort out.

I'm guessing the kid left a little DNA at the scene? Should be easy enough to sort out.

$9,000,000.00 Bond and 15 charges - I think LE believes this case has been solved. Nothing about anyone else being in the home...

Time will tell.

If that boy's mother bought that ridiculous story, she is obviously in some serious denial. My cat wouldn't buy that tale.

If that boy's mother bought that ridiculous story, she is obviously in some serious denial. My cat wouldn't buy that tale.

It would be hard for a Mother to believe her Son was capable of something so horrific. I can understand the denial.

Vacaville Stabbing Victims May Be Connected To November Fatal Shooting​
(SNIPPED)

VACAVILLE, Calif -- Vacaville police are investigating whether the stabbings of a 13-year-old girl and her 18-month-old brother on Sunday are connected to a fatal shooting at a William Street apartment last month.

Richard Marcham Perez, 20, and Cameron Scott Silva, 21, both of Vacaville, were shot to death in an apartment in the 500 block of William Street on Nov. 16. Richard Ruben Calkins, 18, of Vacaville, has been charged with the killings.

Three days after the shooting, the stabbing victims' 16-year-old brother was arrested on suspicion of supplying drugs to the residents of the William Street apartment, Vacaville police Lt. Craig Courtemanche said this morning.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/26154591/detail.html

Brother of stabbing victims connected to victims earlier fatal shooting
(SNIPPED)

The 16-year-old (brother of two assault victims) was taken into custody at his home by Vacaville police Nov. 19, after officers performed a probation search of the residence.

During the search, which was part of the police investigation into the shooting deaths of two Vacaville men and the injury of a woman earlier that week, officers discovered what was believed to be psilocybin mushrooms, marijuana and pills, according to police.

In addition to the drugs found inside the home, police said that they also discovered cash and packing materials that were consistent with drug sales. Authorities believe it is likely that the 16-year-old probationer is the one responsible for selling the drugs that were present at the William Street apartment the night of the shooting.

A readiness conference has been scheduled for Cervantes at 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 22 in the Fairfield courtroom of Judge Harry Kinnicutt.

A preliminary hearing is tentatively scheduled for 10:30 a.m. on Dec. 27.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_16874337?nclick_check=1

Vacaville firefighters raising funds for stabbing victims
(SNIPPED)

Members of the Vacaville Firefighters Association are spearheading an effort to raise funds to buy Christmas presents for a 13-year-old girl and her 18-month-old brother who were the victims of a brutal stabbing last weekend.

"We donated $500 and we're hoping to get a number of other organizations to make donations too," said Phil Sanner, president of the Vacaville Firefighters Association.

"Just how bad it was and how bad it hit these kids, it just really hit home for us," he said of the rape and stabbing attack on the girl and the stabbing of her brother.

Sanner said firefighters have been in contact with the victims' grandmother, who has been helping them to assess their needs -

The collection efforts are also helpful for the firefighters who responded to the Vacaville home Sunday when the stabbing occurred and who wanted to do something to further help the victims, Sanner said.

"It was probably one of the worst calls that our guys have ever responded to because of their ages and the circumstances," he said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_16883888

Appeals court grants hearing as teen convicted in vicious attack seeks new trial - December 2016

In an unusual lead-up to the oral arguments, the appellate court issued a memo to Cervantes’ lawyers and to the state’s lawyers giving them several specific issues they want discussed in January.

The justices are asking the lawyers for both sides if some but not all of the jury’s guilty verdicts handed down against Cervantes should be reversed because of possible mistakes made by his defense attorney. Jurors found Cervantes guilty of 15 felony charges that included premeditated attempted murder, aggravated mayhem, torture, assault, rape and several sexual assault charges.

Appellate court justices are questioning whether Cervantes’ trial attorney should have looked more closely at a defense based on claims Cervantes’ actions were driven by his being under the influence of psilocybin mushrooms he claimed to have taken along with lots of beer on the night of the attack. The justices also want to know if Cervantes’ lawyer should have focused more on a psychiatrist’s claims that Cervantes was in a “dissociative state” when he committed the crimes.

The justices also plan to revisit the issue of whether the length of Cervantes’ prison sentence amounted to cruel and unusual punishment because he was a juvenile at the time of his crimes.

Teen given life term for rape, stabbing in Vacaville - October 2013

More than a year after his conviction, a Vacaville teenager found guilty of the 2010 rape and stabbing of a Vacaville girl and the stabbing of her young brother was sentenced to life in prison on Monday.

Solano County Superior Court Judge Harry S. Kinnicutt sentenced Alexander Cervantes, 17, to 68 years-to-life in prison for breaking into a Balsam Way home on Dec. 12, 2010, where he carried out a brutal rape and stabbing of a 13-year-old girl and stabbed her 18-month-old brother multiple times as well.

Cervantes, who was 14 years old at the time of the attack, was tried as an adult. Recent Supreme Court decisions have dictated how long a juvenile can spend in prison before becoming eligible for parole, an argument made by his defense attorneys.

"This is the most horrific criminal act that this court has ever seen," Kinnicutt said at the end of Monday's lengthy sentencing hearing.

The judge's comments echoed those made by Chief Deputy District Attorney Terry Ray, who said, "This defendant committed one of the worst crimes this county has ever seen."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back