Fecal Transplant

oh my goodness! i thought it was a typo meaning facial transplant! lolololol boy, was my face red!! lolol well, it sounds gross but if it can save somebody's life, where do i line up to donate? ;)

I had a bad case of C. diff (Clostridium difficile) in the 80s, but fortunately, the special antibiotics I had to take cleared it up. My cousin wasn't so lucky. She actually had to have this fecal transplant procedure done last year because her case of C. diff was so bad it could have been fatal. I know it sounds bizarre, and she was SO embarrassed about it, but it got rid of the C. diff and more importantly, saved her life.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_difficile[/ame]

Hey, whatever works. I think it's great that something so readily available can help.

What makes someone think HEY THIS MIGHT WORK???

They only performed it on my cousin as a last resort. She had to try all other avenues of treatment first, which mainly consisted of medications. I had no idea that this transplant treatment was even available when she told me about it. But people don't understand how rapidly C. diff can spread and become fatal. They only treated her with meds for about 2 months before they resorted to the fecal transplant. In many people who have C. diff, the main antibiotics used for treatment are Flagyl and vancomycin, and in just about all cases, those drugs work. But I'm glad now too that there is a treatment such as this transplant available if the antibiotics or other meds fail.

They only performed it on my cousin as a last resort. She had to try all other avenues of treatment first, which mainly consisted of medications. I had no idea that this transplant treatment was even available when she told me about it. But people don't understand how rapidly C. diff can spread and become fatal. They only treated her with meds for about 2 months before they resorted to the fecal transplant. In many people who have C. diff, the main antibiotics used for treatment are Flagyl and vancomycin, and in just about all cases, those drugs work. But I'm glad now too that there is a treatment such as this transplant available if the antibiotics or other meds fail.

Well I for one am glad someone came up with it. It just seems such an off the wall cure I would never have thought about it working to cure something...good thing im not the scientist huh!

I would like to become a donor as I am always told I am FULL OF _____! ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm glad this seems to be a quick, safe and sure fire cure for something so serious!

The things we can do with science...it is pretty incredible when you think about it though. Taking something that is normally seen as one of the most unmentionable substances on earth, and using it to actually save lives? Come on, who can't say "WOW" to that?

wow, the more I think I know, the more I learn.

I had C diff a few years ago, and it was awful at first then just persisted and I felt bad for a long time. Not sure where I caught it, but was taking antibiotics and spent one day at the hospital with a relative. It wasn't life threatening, but flagyl didn't help and I went around feeling like I swallowed a spoon for over a year. Reading about the implants, I found that a person can use family, preferably from an infant.

I am continuously amazed at what some medical folks come up with - that works! I put this sort of thinking along the lines of the person who discovered artichokes were edible...desperate times, desperate measures...and success.

Some of the things we see done in the hospital we are left wondering "who thought of that, and can I get some of what they were taking when they came up with it?" followed closely by the thought "who would volunteer for that procedure the first time?"

Medicine...an amazing, incredibly creative adventure.

Best-
Herding Cats

I know this is a serious issue, but I have a funny story about it.

My sisters ex was a hypochondriac, and was convinced he need this transplant. (there truly was nothing worng with him).

It was only just being tested on humans here, and he forked out a bucket load to have it done. But he had to pay extra for the donor poo, which he didn't want to do if he could get good, free poo from someone.

He called me and asked "Does your poo stink"?
I'm waiting for the punchline, but there wasn't one.
He tells me how he needs not just any poo, but stinky poo because that was his main problem. His s*it didn't stink! (LMAO)

He asked about the entire family's poo-stinkiness. And he wanted me to describe the odour of each.
Needless to say we all turned him down and he forked out the extra for the donor poo.

My sisters ex was a hypochondriac, and was convinced he need this transplant. (there truly was nothing worng with him).

It was only just being tested on humans here, and he forked out a bucket load to have it done. But he had to pay extra for the donor poo, which he didn't want to do if he could get good, free poo from someone.

He tells me how he needs not just any poo, but stinky poo because that was his main problem. His s*it didn't stink! (LMAO)

He asked about the entire family's poo-stinkiness. And he wanted me to describe the odour of each.
Needless to say we all turned him down and he forked out the extra for the donor poo.
OMG, butwhatif, that is hilarious! Thanks "bucket loads" for the best laugh I've had all week. It might not stink, but sure sounds like he's full of it.

My sincere apologies to anyone suffering with this miserable illness.

The delivery method might be unconventional, but the concept makes sense. "The ultimate probiotic", like the article said. I hope this continues to prove successful.

I am continuously amazed at what some medical folks come up with - that works! I put this sort of thinking along the lines of the person who discovered artichokes were edible...desperate times, desperate measures...and success.

Some of the things we see done in the hospital we are left wondering "who thought of that, and can I get some of what they were taking when they came up with it?" followed closely by the thought "who would volunteer for that procedure the first time?"

Medicine...an amazing, incredibly creative adventure.

Best-
Herding Cats

Here's my question. Once it was determined that the bacteria found in a healthy person's fecal matter could be the cure for some serious stuff.......did they try to culture the bacteria in another......cleaner......medium? Or did they just say, Hey, let's stick this poop up in there and see what happens!

Here's my question. Once it was determined that the bacteria found in a healthy person's fecal matter could be the cure for some serious stuff.......did they try to culture the bacteria in another......cleaner......medium? Or did they just say, Hey, let's stick this poop up in there and see what happens!

Dunno. I imagine that they tried to culture, but...on what? Agar, sugar, protein, or...piles of poo? Lots of time there is an infection, but we cannot culture it for whatever reason; so I honestly don't have a first clue. I think, however, if it wasn't fecal matter they're transplanting, they'd call it something else. Like "probiotic transplant" or something.

And I'm wondering if there's a special diet the donor has to eat before donating...spicy foods eliminated, or...?

What an interesting thing. Oooky, but interesting.

Best-
Herding Cats

That is funny. Did he even really have C diff or just thought he did? If he did have it he could have been left with the stomach problems, IBS, or whatever it was like I had that eventually goes away.

That is a funny story, but I must say being a hypochondriac is not funny. It's horrible to live with for both the hypochondriac and all those who love him/her.

I have extreme anxiety issues when it comes to medical issues. I am a self proclaimed hypochondriac. It is HORRIBLE. If I see something on T.V. or read about something, I think I have it. It's a nightmare. I know how crazy this sounds, but it is a real issue.

When H1N1 hit, I was a basket case. I always thought I had the symptoms and my daughter had the symptoms. It's hard to live that way.

Since then, I have been on a new medicine for my anxiety and it has gotten better. Not cured but better. That was also a nightmare because I am scared to death of taking a new medicine.

Anyway, enough rambleing. I just wanted to point out that I can totally understand this guy thinking he needed this procedure.

JMO

This whole story is amazing. Thanks for explaining it MaryLiz and I'm so glad to hear it helped out your cousin. If something sounds strange, the medical profession normally will rule it out. I'm happy to learn that this procedure is being used to cure people.

Goz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BossJoss
Back