Minivan recall grows as victim's family speaks out

Dark Knight

Reaction score
WHITMAN, Mass. – Sean Bowman was driving with a classmate to community college when his Ford Windstar's rear axle cracked in half, sending the minivan careening into a building and killing him, his family says.

One week later, the family says, a safety recall notice from Ford arrived in the mail. It said the 2001 Windstar's axle should be checked out because it could corrode and break.

Now Bowman's relatives — and some safety experts — are accusing Ford of failing to give the recall the urgency it deserved.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101216/ap_on_bi_ge/us_ford_windstar_recall

I live in Colorado.... a high road salt area..... but I never heard of this recall (I have an 03 windstar) And now I am terrified!!!! And the only release of the recall I can find is very limited information... And it does not list states that are affected. If it is for me, ( it better be) this will be the 11th recall on this stupid van. But I will be calling a dealership in the morning to find out what to do. Thank you so much for posting this!

I live in Colorado.... a high road salt area..... but I never heard of this recall (I have an 03 windstar) And now I am terrified!!!! And the only release of the recall I can find is very limited information... And it does not list states that are affected. If it is for me, ( it better be) this will be the 11th recall on this stupid van. But I will be calling a dealership in the morning to find out what to do. Thank you so much for posting this!

11th recall?

Time to replace that timebomb! They should contribute to your doing that too imo

11th recall?

Time to replace that timebomb! They should contribute to your doing that too imo

ITA.... And thanks to being stupid with money, my credit is not so good, and cannot trade in or finance a new vehicle for a while..... So I am stuck with the , and its stupid $2000 transmission that we put in at 97,000 miles :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Proud owner of a 2003 Windstar Lemon here too (*insert sarcasm) and I have had so many recalls that I just ignore them now. The last one was sitting here unopened from October. Low and behold it's the rear axle recall. Thanks to the OP for posting this story or I would have know nothing about this as I've not heard anything on the news about it. I suppose I need to call the dealer but even the recall says it might take time to get the parts. :(

I have never owned a worse vehicle...ever. :furious:

ITA.... And thanks to being stupid with money, my credit is not so good, and cannot trade in or finance a new vehicle for a while..... So I am stuck with the , and its stupid $2000 transmission that we put in at 97,000 miles :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Bummer. That s*cks big time mommy23.

Here the Ford dealerships are doing two things:
1) They will buy your van from you at Kelly BlueBook's Excellent rating price no matter what the condition.
2) They will pay for your rental until the parts are available to fix your van.
Most people I know here are perfectly happy with that, althought the one guy who has had a 2008 Escape for 8 months now does NOT want to give it back. :)

Here the Ford dealerships are doing two things:
1) They will buy your van from you at Kelly BlueBook's Excellent rating price no matter what the condition.
2) They will pay for your rental until the parts are available to fix your van.
Most people I know here are perfectly happy with that, althought the one guy who has had a 2008 Escape for 8 months now does NOT want to give it back. :)

I so meant to call a dealership this morning, we lives states away from where we originally bought ours, so I was gonna pick 1 out of the phone book. Any local reccomendations? lol The recall states that even without the parts, they will reinforce it until parts come in, and that they will offer a rental car. I will find out for sure on Monday what they can do for us. Buying it back would be a Godsend right now!!!!

I bought a 2009 volkswagon Routan in June 2009 and in dec 09 at 12,000 miles it dropped the transmission 4 hours from my mom's in Georgia about 40 miles away from Atlanta... we lived in Illinois at the time...lol........... Volks put a new one in at no cost (had to rent a car to get home and then rent one to get back to my car in Georgia!) but now I have 1 recall on it .... the sliding door may catch on fire!!!!
The kicker is we are in Germany (air Force) but they don't make the routan here .... it was made in Chrysler plant in Canada.... volks wanted to get into our US van market so they struck a deal with Chrysler......
Anyways other than that I love my van!!!! it's awesome.......

I so meant to call a dealership this morning, we lives states away from where we originally bought ours, so I was gonna pick 1 out of the phone book. Any local reccomendations? lol The recall states that even without the parts, they will reinforce it until parts come in, and that they will offer a rental car. I will find out for sure on Monday what they can do for us. Buying it back would be a Godsend right now!!!!

A quick internet search reveals most of the Ford dealerships in the CS area are owned by a guy named Phil Long. Reviews indicate some people love him and others, well, do not. :(
Good luck! (If you plan to take the van anywhere for Christmas, perhaps you could contact a dealer in that area to find out if they are doing the buy back.)

A quick internet search reveals most of the Ford dealerships in the CS area are owned by a guy named Phil Long. Reviews indicate some people love him and others, well, do not. :(
Good luck! (If you plan to take the van anywhere for Christmas, perhaps you could contact a dealer in that area to find out if they are doing the buy back.)

Ya, it seems that Phil long corners the market for all cars here. I work close to Denver, so I am going to check out what is there, I've heard cars are cheaper there anyways ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back