GUILTY IL - Roderick Tademy for attempted murder of 12yo son, Joliet, 20 Dec 2010

impatientredhead

Reaction score
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/12/22/joliet-father-who-shot-son-accused-boy-of-molesting-sisters/

JOLIET, Ill. (STMW) – Roderick D. Tademy accused his 12-year-old son of molesting his younger sisters before shooting him in the head Monday night, prosecutors said Wednesday. The .22-caliber handgun then jammed as Tademy tried to use it on himself.

“There is no evidence any molestation occurred,” she said.
Tademy, 35, was rejected for a firearm owner’s identification card because he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and would put “himself, his family and the community at risk,” Fillipitch said.

Obedyah Tademy, a seventh-grader at Hufford Junior High School, had been shot once over his left eye. He was rushed to Silver Cross Hospital and later transferred to Loyola Medical Center in Maywood. As of Wednesday afternoon, he was being kept alive on a ventilator, but had no brain activity, reports said.

Oh, that is tragic. My prayers go out to that entire family.

God be with young Obedyah.

These people. These poor people. Everyone who is related, who was involved, who knew these folks. How do you react?? What do you say?

OMG. What if he seriously was? Losing his mind? What if he genuinely believed, in that moment, that his daughters had been violated. Even then, many can understand the anger, the break in sense and law abidedness. But if he lost his mind? If there was no truth to his belief? What then? This poor, poor family. This is awful. Just awful.

I am all for legal gun ownership, but this seems like it would have been averted if he didn't have a gun for such an impulsive act. It says he was denied a gun license and was on probation for a 2008 gun incident. I wonder how many people knew he had them and thought he would harm anyone. Very tragic story.

He certainly does not look like a man who knows that he's gravely wounded his child. He doesn't look blank but sort of oblivious to the issue at hand, a little irritated at the situation. It's reported that he showed little emotion in court but then began sobbing. Most likely this man is off his medication. He's reported to be a stay-at-home dad and also to have frequent rages. Just like the tragedy in Las Vegas last year when Harold Montague, another stay-at-home dad, charged out of his home and killed a baby boy, there were serious mental health issues. Why, oh why, would a man so sick be left with children?

The article says that the father was often seen walking his young twin daughters to school but that the boy was rarely seen outside. Two earlier articles:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/12/20/police-joliet-father-shoots-12-year-old-son/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_shooting-son-joliet-police-chief-fred-hayes

It is amazing how many of these "parents" are planning a murder suicide, yet the suicide never comes off....I mean really how hard is it....they seem fairly competent when they are performing the "murder" yet guns jam, nooses break, pills dont seem strong enough when its their turn. Frankly I would like to start a campaign saying - forget the murder, but have at it with the suicide....honestly...sigh

Ryansmom--I'm not seeing it that way. People experiencing psychotic breaks are very much "in the moment". I don't think that this was planned. JMO. However, after the young boy was shot, I think the father realized the gravity of his actions and tried to kill himself.

Sadly, we have so many many mentally ill people without the proper support system. Even with a strong support system, tragedies happen, as their reality is simply not our reality.

I have no doubt that this man would like to see his son today and has not yet grasped the finality of his actions. I'm just guessing here but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this father adored his son. The brain is a confounding organ.

The article said the gun jammed but that he did pull the trigger on the suicide attempt? That is more intent to commit suicide than most of the "attempts" we read about.

I think he may have been stressed about money.
May have lost his insurance and may have been off his meds.

I think it was irrational thought, but he accused the boy of sexual molestation, fought with him, got a loaded gun or loaded one, held it to his son's head and pulled the trigger while the mother tried to stop him.

Legally, in the vast majority of states (except for the few that allow for crimes of heated passion as a degree level) that is premediation. It took delibrate action with a predictable outcome. He was angry, he got a weapon, put it to his head and pulled the trigger with the intent of killing him.

Rational- no.
Criminally responsible- most likely.
They may not get to present mental illness as a factor until sentencing if he is found competent to stand trial.

I really wonder how many people knew he was unstable, had been denied legal ownership of a firearm, and had the collection he did. I bet it was pretty common knowledge. I understand thinking that turning him will harm the family in the longterm (financially, emotionally, etc...) but it is a big gamble to think someone who is acting like he has been (and has a history of) will only harm themselves if anyone at all.

Who knows, maybe he would have stabbed the boy or slit his throat before she could call for help. Maybe it made no difference. I hope someone that is reading the story sees the warning signs. It is about the only bright spot this story could have.

That poor mother. Lost her husband. Held her son while he bled from a gunshot. May have to decide to pull the plug (which dad's defense will fight because that will make a murder charge). Hopefully the sisters weren't actually molested. But they probably watched their brother be shot, definitely heard it, lost their father to the courts, and have lost the mother they use to know. I hope they have a good support system.

I am not often drawn to offering financial support to the funds that are started, but I wonder who is taking care of the girls and where they will be for the holiday? Does anyone know?

I know my post seems bitter, and I am sure that many of the men and women that plan murder suicides, are in fact very ill. I live not far from Morenci, where those 3 little boys are missing, that and Zahra and Kyron, and last year poor little Aja, so much evil around these children, I guess I just blurted out something inappropriate. I apologize to anyone I offended. Thanks.

From August 2012:

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/1...tenced-50-years-shooting-12-year-old-son-head

A southwest suburban man was sentenced to 50 years in prison Monday for shooting his then-12-year-old son in the head just days before Christmas in 2010.

In June, a Will County jury deliberated for 35 minutes before convicting Roderick Tademy, 37, of Joliet of attempted murder, aggravated battery to a child and aggravated battery with a firearm...

The victim, Obedyah Tademy, is now in a long-term care facility in Bloomingdale, his mother said. He can't breathe, walk or talk on his own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back