Celebrity Lawyer-Mickey Sherman- Goes to Prison

oceanblueeyes

Reaction score
BRIDGEPORT -- For a man who has made his reputation with his mouth, celebrity lawyer Michael "Mickey" Sherman had little to say after a federal judge sentenced him Wednesday to a year and a day in prison for failing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in income tax.

"It is what it is, I took a hunk of money and I'm going to jail," said the 63-year-old Sherman as he left federal court.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/def...-a-day-for-tax-fraud-916570.php#ixzz18xwBSMeb

I guess I have to give him credit for not making up lame excuses.

I thought he was married to one of the TH's from Bill O'Reilly's show (I can't remember her name) but they make no reference to her, just his ex-wife. I wish my ex paid my mortgage (while I was living with someone else!)

Well, It appears Mickey Sherman is going to jail for 1 year plus a day for NOT paying his income tax...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/skakel_att_jailed_SL68taLBwRiQ4MuRThpuEM

HARTFORD, Conn. -- An attorney who represented Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel at his murder trial was sentenced yesterday to one year and one day in federal prison for failing to pay about $420,000 in income taxes.

Yikes, and he still owes a bundle..Where is his defense ???

I guess I have to give him credit for not making up lame excuses.

I thought he was married to one of the TH's from Bill O'Reilly's show (I can't remember her name) but they make no reference to her, just his ex-wife. I wish my ex paid my mortgage (while I was living with someone else!)

http://www.aeispeakers.com/speakerbio.php?SpeakerID=2032

You're right! He's married to Lis Wiehl from Fox. I didn't know that.

What an idiot. I'm glad he plead guilty and is accepting the sentence like a man. I bet he'll be a popular guy in the prison - free legal advice for a year!

Welcome to the world of the little people Mr. Sherman. I pay my taxes. I do not act like I am above the rest of the world. Try it sometime.

Mickey, Mickey, Mickey!!! Now you owe more than ONE MILLION DOLLARS more than the original amount and have to do time!! You and Jose Baez would make quite a team!! Maybe you should give him a call when you get out of the "big house"!:loser:
Hey-Maybe Jose can keep your seat warm on the Nancy Grace Show while you're paying your dues probably at a "country club" prison!:waitasec:

This is startling news to me...how dumb/careless of him!

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Sherman[/ame]

Trivia: I believe he is a nephew of Allan Sherman ("Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh..."):

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Sherman[/ame]

ETA: I also believe he was a fav on this very forum, and for good reason.

I always liked how he "managed" his interview moments on Nancy Grace's show.

Guys,

Mickey Sherman is one of the nicest guys out there to work with.

He is always willing to do an interview or to do a chat.

This is so frustrating because, I mean, what a DUMBA**.

I am saddened and stunned. Mickey has always been one of my favs.

He is scheduled to report to prison in March.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/def...-a-day-for-tax-fraud-916570.php#ixzz190PeEVsH

In March?!

So like, he gets three months to prepare and get his affairs in order or something? I've never heard of being scheduled to report to prison.

Also, what does this do to his career? He gets disbarred right?
That is about how long it takes normally before an inmate reports to federal prison. The court turns it over to the Bureau of Prisons after they are sentenced, the BOP takes so much time to notify you where you are to report and then they tell you when to report. All in all it can take 2 to 3 months. He probably scheduled the timing with his plea agreement and it really isn't unusual.
An inmate that is sentenced to a year and a day is eligible for early release. An inmate that serves less than that is not eligible, so in reality a year and day sentence will be shorter than a year sentence.

Wait to report is not all that uncommon...

I'm still just so stunned that he let his personal tax matters get like THIS.

That is about how long it takes normally before an inmate reports to federal prison. The court turns it over to the Bureau of Prisons after they are sentenced, the BOP takes so much time to notify you where you are to report and then they tell you when to report. All in all it can take 2 to 3 months. He probably scheduled the timing with his plea agreement and it really isn't unusual.
An inmate that is sentenced to a year and a day is eligible for early release. An inmate that serves less than that is not eligible, so in reality a year and day sentence will be shorter than a year sentence.

I think Martha Stewart was one of the few (public anyways) figures who said just get it over with and went immediately. I had a new respect for her at that point on.

How disappointing.

I can think of several lawyers I'd like to see in prison. Mickey Sherman isn't on the list.

Wow! I too am shocked and saddened by this. The article says it isn't even that he didn't have the money to pay the taxes! And his attorneys told the judge they think he needs to have a psychological evaluation. I strongly agree.

Wonder if there is any chance he has a drinking problem or something like that. I mean something that would explain his error in thinking you can mess around with the IRS. I mean, EVERYBODY knows you don't mess with the IRS, right?

And this case and the Wesley Snipes case and the Leona Helmsely case - and for that matter the Al Capone case are the reason you don't mess with them.

I am going to miss him, he was my all time favorite talking head.He is very likable for a defense attorney.

wow this sentence seems excessive, is it the norm?

I don't know, but I wonder why we need to pay Mr. Sherman's room and board for the next year to 18 months. Surely his time would be better spent cleaning highways or building houses with Habitat for Humanity.

I really wish we'd rethink our penal system for non-violent offenders.

I don't know, but I wonder why we need to pay Mr. Sherman's room and board for the next year to 18 months. Surely his time would be better spent cleaning highways or building houses with Habitat for Humanity.

I really wish we'd rethink our penal system for non-violent offenders.

Or giving FREE legal representation to criminals! Really! It could free up some of our over-worked pros.

Just my :twocents:

fran
:santa:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member