Identified! WA - Whidbey Island, body washed ashore, Dec'10 - Edwin ‘Randy’ Brown

The body appears to have been in water for several months but wasn’t in saltwater for very long.

In August there were four fisherman that were never found. Three were friends from Washington and Oregon; Peter Idlewine, Gary Evans and Tony Evans, and guide Kevin Sturgess of Winter Harbour BC.

They were fishing in Winter Harbour, boat was found south in Victoria days later, the search had been called off at the point of no survival possible. They were fishing fresh water. It has been several months. They would have drowned. The boat drifted South and the early articles before it was found said it could be as far south as Washington.

From what I have found online Kevin Sturgess is the closest physical match. Physical descriptions are really lacking I presume because they were declared presumed drowning victims? But from the photos I could find, and comments on his facebook memory wall he is smaller stature is mentioned in some stories. Coming up blank on a scar for any of them though.

They must be checking that as a possibility. If LE hasn't made the connection their family and friends are following up I am sure. It seems so likely to me though based on timeline and fresh water drowning that I am surprised they are asking for general public help if they have not been ruled out. That will increase the work load as tips come in, and if they were excluded you would think it would be mentioned so they don't get that call 300 times.

I spent more time reading about the missing fishermen and more and more convinced that this is KS. The family has strong facebook presence and discuss missing their loved one frequently. There are no reference I can find anywhere that they were aware of the finding on the 14th and nothing with the more current information as far as height, weight, identifying marks, and the fresh water drowning and recent move to saltwater.

Oddly none of the four men seem to be officially entered in any of the missing person databases. News articles, but if you go straight to the databases they aren't there that I could find. A couple message boards mention them, but even if you have someone declared dead you would load their DNA in the database in case they are found? dental work?

Is there a backlog that would would explain them not being entered? Or maybe they made the reasonable conclusion that the police would know their loved ones drowned in fresh water hours away a couple of months ago? Since they are missing out of Canada and the body was found in the US would that cause a major issue with awareness of the case? Makes no sense to me, it was just a few months ago.

Maybe they have already been ruled out, but it has only been two weeks and no one I can find among the family members that are actively discussing their first holidays with out their loved one mentions even being aware of the discovery or the possibility that they maybe have found one of them.

I have never contacted anyone in any of these cases and I considered going only to the tip line but I contacted the family and am now a nervous wreck that I didn't do it in a considerate enough manner. Or that I am wrong and will just be upsetting them for no reason.

The details are too close, five ten and 140 pounds is a distinct size for a man and the cause of death. Even if I am wrong maybe I can let them know that they are not in the missing databases? If they respond is there someone I should direct them too that is fluent with that process?

And I contacted them as an individual not WS.
I know that is a TOS.
Hopefully posting that I did isn't a TOS?

You're fine, Impatient.

I was drawn to this story because I have friends on the island and know the area. I do pray they learn his identity soon. Thank you for helping! :hug:

A beachwalker found the body washed up on the east side of Whidbey Island near North Bluff Road on Dec. 14. The body appears to be that of a white man, about 5-foot-10 and 145 pounds. He was wearing Cherokee-brand long underwear in size small and white Nike Air shoes in size 9.<snipped>

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20101224/NEWS01/712249897/0/BLOG36

:waitasec::waitasec: What is it about Whidbey Island. ?????????? Seriously, the random feet - now this too. Even that crazy video person in the KH case was from that area. :waitasec::waitasec: Hinky, just plain ole' hinky. IMHO, etc.

I think it is because of the tides and such and not so much about life on the island. The island is very close-knit with most of the people living there for years and years.

Here's a pic to show you all the waterways around it. Whidbey is the island with Oak Harbor and Langley on it.

sanjuanislands.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/.../Salt Water Collection/sanjuanislands.jpg?o=3

Whidbey Island is the first body of land coming out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca which can be very fast moving. So several sources of water feed in to the SJD, that water moves fast and violently, then as it opens and slows down Whidbey is fairly big as such things go with lots of beaches to land upon. I live maybe ten minutes from the ferry landing to hop over to Whidbey.

The family of Kevin contacted the authorities and it is not Kevin, or any of the other three fishermen that drown in August.

Body found on Whidbey beach ID&#8217;d as Arlington man

Edwin &#8216;Randy&#8217; Brown had been missing since Oct. 9.

COUPEVILLE &#8212; A body that washed ashore on Whidbey Island in December has been identified as that of a Arlington man missing since October.

Edwin &#8220;Randy&#8221; Brown, 47, was last seen Oct. 9 at Haller Park in Arlington.

full article at link.
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20110112/NEWS01/701129811/0/taxonomylist

Here is a picture of the Deception Pass Bridge Area... It is very Treacherous, with steep drop offs on all sides and a strong current with rip tides in the water below.

It would be very easy for a person to fall and to be quickly carried away.

We travel over this bridge all the time... and it is beautiful but VERY high up and looking down is breathtaking.

img_4407sm.jpg

Here is a picture of the Deception Pass Bridge Area... It is very Treacherous, with steep drop offs on all sides and a strong current with rip tides in the water below.

It would be very easy for a person to fall and to be quickly carried away.

We travel over this bridge all the time... and it is beautiful but VERY high up and looking down is breathtaking.

img_4407sm.jpg

OMG - I would pass out if I had to drive or ride across this bridge!

Glad they id'ed him and his family has answers - always better than not having answers. May he RIP.

I prefer to not look down... I'm always surprised by the people that back up to the edges of the land to pose for pictures...

My husband and daughter took this picture lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back