Man Faces Charges For Reading Wife's E-Mail

I would be more sympathetic if the husband was just some control freak stalker type hubby but apparently the wife was indeed having an affair (evidenced by the emails).

I think the charge is a bit extreme considering the computer was a shared one. If I suspected my spouse of infidelity then I would be that girl gathering evidence for my lawyer by accessing his phone records, texts, etc. you betcha. Nice to know I might face jail time for such an offense, won't stop me tho. Not that I need to worry, DH is too old and tired to expend the effort necessary for affairs, lol

I would be more sympathetic if the husband was just some control freak stalker type hubby but apparently the wife was indeed having an affair (evidenced by the emails).

I think the charge is a bit extreme considering the computer was a shared one. If I suspected my spouse of infidelity then I would be that girl gathering evidence for my lawyer by accessing his phone records, texts, etc. you betcha. Nice to know I might face jail time for such an offense, won't stop me tho. Not that I need to worry, DH is too old and tired to expend the effort necessary for affairs, lol

I think the Prosecutor should be ashamed for wasting tax payers money like this! What a waste of funds!

Boy oh boy. That is exactly how I caught my ex having an affair. I kind of knew but I wanted proof.

Boy oh boy. That is exactly how I caught my ex having an affair. I kind of knew but I wanted proof.

I'm sorry you had to go through that :hug:

MOO, ex wife has friends in high places. Wonder what she does for a living and who the friends are? This would have been laughed out of the DA's office otherwise.

Oakland County, Michigan prosecutor Jessica Cooper told the Free Press that she was justified in charging Walker. “The guy is a hacker,” she said. The email account “was password protected.”

In a voice message left with the Law Blog, Cooper added that two judges have denied Walker’s motion to dismiss the charges. Walker and his wife “were in divorce proceedings and had separate email accounts, separate computers, separate everything,” Cooper said.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-who-discovered-affair-in-wifes-email-faces-charges-for-privacy-invasion/

I too would like to know Ms. Cooper's reason for pressing forward with the prosecution of Mr. Walker. Does she want to start pursuing these types of cases? or just this one?

If all cases of invasion of privacy involving families living under the same roof need to be prosecuted, they might find the courts flooded with them.

My daughter logged into my Facebook account the other day. I want to press charges!
smiley-vault-character-203.gif

A felony? Really? Aren't there any more serious crimes to prosecute than a husband reading his wife's e-mail?

God this makes me furious!!! It must be nice to live in a place where you are so bored because there aren't real crimes to prosecute...geez lady.

I predict that this will eventually go bye bye - even though they may have been in divorce proceedings if they were living in the same household there is a lower expectation of privacy because he has access to the computer and she wrote the stupid passwords down. He didn't "hack" anything, he figured out the password. Oh brother.

I can't even believe good old fashioned snooping on the soon to be ex is a crime!!! I could do time people :eek:

I'd say if snooping on husband/wife suspected of cheating was rigorously prosecuted, a lot of people could do time.

I would be very sympathic if they didn't live under the same roof.

Isn't "gmail" like "hotmail" and other such services? I'm wondering why the "shared computer" even matters. Couldn't the husband access his wife's account from any computer?

That being said, I'm not crazy about the DA getting involved in a dissolving marriage this way.

Isn't "gmail" like "hotmail" and other such services? I'm wondering why the "shared computer" even matters. Couldn't the husband access his wife's account from any computer?

That being said, I'm not crazy about the DA getting involved in a dissolving marriage this way.

You're right, it shouldn't matter about the "shared" computer aspect at all with "gmail." It's web-based, you log in anywhere. He said he was able to log in because she had written her password down.

You're right, it shouldn't matter about the "shared" computer aspect at all with "gmail." It's web-based, you log in anywhere. He said he was able to log in because she had written her password down.

As others have said, I'll be surprised if this gets to trial, but if it does, I expect the defendant's lawyer will have a field day with the "expectation of privacy" issue.

My husband and I don't go into each other's email or wallets as a rule, because we were raised to be well-mannered; but I don't for a moment think I have a legal "right of privacy" in the space (house) we co-own and share. (I'm assuming the wife's passwords were written down somewhere in their house.)

Maybe I should have went and turned myself in some years back when I figured out my husband's pass word on two different occasions and caught him flirting around with his ex wife plus some woman in Oklahoma online. At least I think it was all online, who knows. Like the other poster though, he's too old and broke down to be doing that now. There will be lots of spouses in jail if they start charging everyone, but the cheating woman probably has money or friends who are attorneys. Used to be that adultery was a crime, not catching them at it.

I heard on the news tonight the husband was also worried that she was with her ex-husband and he abused one of the children when she was with him. Sounds like she is barking up the wrong tree getting involved with her ex.

I cannot believe anyone would waste time going after this guy.:crazy: I would assume there are real crimes that they need to concentrate on. I'm sure this will be dropped.

Goz

I heard on the news tonight the husband was also worried that she was with her ex-husband and he abused one of the children when she was with him. Sounds like she is barking up the wrong tree getting involved with her ex.

I cannot believe anyone would waste time going after this guy.:crazy: I would assume there are real crimes that they need to concentrate on. I'm sure this will be dropped.

Goz

Actually, it was the 2nd husband that abused her in front of the kids. He was concerned with keeping the kids out of that situation again.

I'm just blown away that out of all that is wrong with this situation, the exes, the cheating wife, domestic abuse, kids being around this...and the only one looking at prison time is the guy trying to look out for the kids! (for the unspeakable crime of reading his wife's email)

Goz

Goz, she was in fact cheating with Husband #2, who had been convicted of beating her in front of her son by Husband #1.

Husband #3 did not "hack" her computer as the prosecutor alleges - he simply entered the password she kept in a small notebook next to the computer, a computer routinely used by both.

Once Hubby #3 read the emails, he then forwarded some to the boy's father, fearing that his soon-to-be ex would return to Husband #2 and might place her son in danger. Husband #1 then petitioned and was granted emergency custody by the family court, using the emails to bolster his case.

I can't imagine why the prosecutor would insist on moving forward with this case either, given this woman's questionable motives. Yes, perhaps the husband did breach her privacy by forwarding those emails to her ex, but in light of the potential for child endangerment, I can see why he felt it was justified. Heck, I'd probably do the same thing.

Michigan is hardly lacking for more serious crimes to prosecute.

it is also a law here in michigan that if you can PROVE your spouse is unfaithful you can have them jailed .. that is most likely why she is doing what she is doing ..i read that somewhere before we moved here LOL .. i miss my wisconsin ..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back