ID - Man Smacks Teen For Refusing To Turn Off His Cell Phone.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
I know what the guy did was wrong but I would've been tempted to do the same thing. Where the hell were this kids parents?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/29/idaho.plane.incident/index.html?hpt=T2

Police: Man hits teen over phone dispute on plane
From Scott Thompson, CNN
December 29, 2010 6:45 a.m. EST

...Miller told police that the 15-year-old boy refused to turn off his phone after directions from the flight crew. The suspect "felt he was protecting the entire plane and its occupants," Lipple said....

I know what the guy did was wrong but I would've been tempted to do the same thing. Where the hell were this kids parents?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/29/idaho.plane.incident/index.html?hpt=T2

Police: Man hits teen over phone dispute on plane
From Scott Thompson, CNN
December 29, 2010 6:45 a.m. EST

...Miller told police that the 15-year-old boy refused to turn off his phone after directions from the flight crew. The suspect "felt he was protecting the entire plane and its occupants," Lipple said....

I don't believe this at all. I think the suspect felt he was protecting the passengers from annoying teenspeak! :clap: That, I don't have a problem with either. :D

The man would have better protected the safety of all the passengers if he had notified a crew member that the teenager hadn't turned off his phone.

The man would have better protected the safety of all the passengers if he had notified a crew member that the teenager hadn't turned off his phone.

Yep. Hindsight is 20/20.

Let's hold on a second. It says the teen wouldn't turn off his iPhone. NOT that he was talking on it.

The iPhone has an airplane mode that makes it usable for most of the flight. In fact, on my last flight the attendant told me I didn't have to leave it in airplane mode so that I could still check fb, etc. There was free wi-fi on the plane, for Pete's sake!

While it's true that you are supposed to turn it completely off during takeoff and landing, I have my doubts that an iPhone could interfere with a modern airplane.

Hitting a kid instead of just alerting the attendant is not a sign of common sense or doing what everyone wishes they could do; it's a sign of poor impulse control and anger management. Personally I think hitting a stranger is much worse than not turning off your phone.

He hit him hard enough to leave a mark! Would you all feel differently if it had been a girl or adult business woman he had hit and left a mark? I think you would. Hitting people is not okay.

Let's hold on a second. It says the teen wouldn't turn off his iPhone. NOT that he was talking on it.

The iPhone has an airplane mode that makes it usable for most of the flight. In fact, on my last flight the attendant told me I didn't have to leave it in airplane mode so that I could still check fb, etc. There was free wi-fi on the plane, for Pete's sake!

While it's true that you are supposed to turn it completely off during takeoff and landing, I have my doubts that an iPhone could interfere with a modern airplane.

Hitting a kid instead of just alerting the attendant is not a sign of common sense or doing what everyone wishes they could do; it's a sign of poor impulse control and anger management. Personally I think hitting a stranger is much worse than not turning off your phone.

He hit him hard enough to leave a mark! Would you all feel differently if it had been a girl or adult business woman he had hit and left a mark? I think you would. Hitting people is not okay.

Oops, I was just kidding about hitting him for using teenspeak. :D Really, I was.

I think even if the kid picked up his cell phone and made a call, it was a complete overreaction on the man's part. I think too many people have crossed over into the realm of paranoia when flying. Either that, or the guy was just trying to find an excuse to hit the kid.

I dont hit my own kid and nobody else has the right. I suppose the man is lucky that a parent did not step in as he could have had his azz kicked.

I dont hit my own kid and nobody else has the right. I suppose the man is lucky that a parent did not step in as he could have had his azz kicked.

At 15, my linebacker son could hold his own.

I still do not agree with him resorting to physical violence. One has to wonder though if the man was freaked out by the thought of the phone causing the plane to crash and took what he felt at the time was appropriate action. He could have been misinformed to the point that he thought he was in real danger.

At least the young man at 15 had better sense than to strike back, I'm thankful for that.

The better thing to do would be to address the parents with the problem and have them have the kid turn it off. If the kid was not accompanied by adults then smacking him would seem to be the last option on a list of many different ways this could have been handled. Yeah, smacking the smart mouth teen might have made the perp feel better but who the he77 is he to be smacking anyone? That is assault, plain and simple.

MOO PO'd person who took out his adult anger on a very handy noncompliant teenager

I had one thought when I heard this story: An adult with an explosive anger problem. I hope he gets sent to anger management classes. He needs it.

Didn't we just have a story where a teen, in Portland, tried to use a phone to set off a bomb at a Christmas Tree lighting ceremony?

While I may not agree with the adult's action, I do certainly understand it. Cell phones can easily be used to trigger bombs (and there's a whole slew of stories out there), and in this environment, at this time, people are scared. When someone sees someone not obeying instructions, things like The Shoe Bomber, the Underwear Bomber, the Times Square Bomber, and the others recently involving teens does come to mind.

As for not asking the teen's parents to step in, perhaps the teen was traveling unaccompanied.

As bad as it may sound, in my neighborhood/city, it is not unheard of for them to be involved in criminal activity, have issues with authority, and not follow the rules...

Just a few "oppositional" thoughts on this.

Best-
Herding Cats

Didn't we just have a story where a teen, in Portland, tried to use a phone to set off a bomb at a Christmas Tree lighting ceremony?

While I may not agree with the adult's action, I do certainly understand it. Cell phones can easily be used to trigger bombs (and there's a whole slew of stories out there), and in this environment, at this time, people are scared. When someone sees someone not obeying instructions, things like The Shoe Bomber, the Underwear Bomber, the Times Square Bomber, and the others recently involving teens does come to mind.

As for not asking the teen's parents to step in, perhaps the teen was traveling unaccompanied.

As bad as it may sound, in my neighborhood/city, it is not unheard of for them to be involved in criminal activity, have issues with authority, and not follow the rules...

Best-
Herding Cats

You know, this story got me thinking about this exact thing. If cell phones are so dangerous, why are we allowed to have them on planes to begin with? Do you think it's because Americans would never tolerate being forced to give them up? The outrage would be overwhelming. So, instead, the TSA makes us do stuff we will tolerate, like taking off our shoes and having nudie pics taken or being felt up. Stuff that doesn't keep us any safer, but makes us feel safer.

But I really think someone who was using a phone to set off a bomb on a plane would do so after takeoff or right before landing. Why draw attention to yourself by breaking the rules and risk being stopped?

I think this man was impatient and lost his temper, and used the whole "safety of other passengers" BS to offset his outrageous behavior. IMHO, he's no better than the guy who slapped the crying baby in WalMart.

You know, this story got me thinking about this exact thing. If cell phones are so dangerous, why are we allowed to have them on planes to begin with? Do you think it's because Americans would never tolerate being forced to give them up? The outrage would be overwhelming. So, instead, the TSA makes us do stuff we will tolerate, like taking off our shoes and having nudie pics taken or being felt up. Stuff that doesn't keep us any safer, but makes us feel safer.

But I really think someone who was using a phone to set off a bomb on a plane would do so after takeoff or right before landing. Why draw attention to yourself by breaking the rules and risk being stopped?

I think this man was impatient and lost his temper, and used the whole "safety of other passengers" BS to offset his outrageous behavior. IMHO, he's no better than the guy who slapped the crying baby in WalMart.

If the cell phone was dangerous, he wouldn't have been allowed to bring it onto the plane. The TSA takes shampoo away from us fgs. The man was just itching for a fight is my best guess.

Sure a phone could trigger a bomb, so do we go around smacking everyone we see on a phone just in case? :)

Besides, the whole doing it for the safety of the passengers baloney just isn't cutting it with me. Say the kid was some terrorist trying to set off a bomb? Didnt this dude smacking the kid just further endanger the planeful of passengers? WTH dude is Rambo? I think not. This is a BS excuse cooked up after the fact because the guy was probably frustrated and resentful about the TSA restrictions and pat downs and scans and everything else you have to go through to get on a plane nowadays. He took that frustration out on a teenager who resprented every other dang thing wrong with the world today and the guy lost it. Plain and simple. MOO yours may very well vary.

Best-
Herding Cats

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I totally agree. All the ill-mannered brat had to do is turn the damn thing off. People are killed everyday by teenagers. He should have listened to the "authority figure" the flight crew, he didn't, therefore he had to experience consequences for his actions.

The man had no right to hit the kid. He should have notified the flight attendants and let them handle it as they are trained to do. However, that being said, I understand the man's frustration with someone who is ignoring safety regulations in order to keep using a cell phone. The obsession with these phones and other electronic gadgets with disregard for others is out of control -- and it is not just a teen problem.

Best-
Herding Cats

A few years ago, my son's h.s. principal and I were discussing the "no cell phones allowed in school" rule. He informed me of that exact thing -- "Do you know, Mrs. OG, that cell phones can be used to detonate bombs?" I had to confess that I didn't.

A few years ago, my son's h.s. principal and I were discussing the "no cell phones allowed in school" rule. He informed me of that exact thing -- "Do you know, Mrs. OG, that cell phones can be used to detonate bombs?" I had to confess that I didn't.

Of course, so can a regular phone. A determined terrorist could just ask to use the office phone to call his mom. It's not the phone, it's the phone number.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back