GUILTY OH - Deborah McVay, 46, murdered, Big Prairie, 2 Jan 2011

HOLMESVILLE -- A 10-year-old boy was scheduled to appear in Holmes County Juvenile Court today after he allegedly shot and killed his mother.

A neighbor reported the son of Deborah L. McVay, 46, 13194 Township Road 511, Big Prairie, came to their house at 6:03 p.m. Sunday and the boy said he needed help, he'd just shot his mother, according to a news release by Holmes County Sheriff Tim Zimmerly.

more here

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/artic...olmes-County-boy-10-kills-mother-sheriff-says

The investigation indicates she was killed by a single gunshot wound to the head. The body was taken to the Stark County Coroner's Office for an autopsy.

The boy was taken into custody and transported to Richland County Juvenile Detention, and is scheduled to be in court today.

OMG, in Wampum PA same thing happened ...........little kids/guns/murder ................

I'll wait for more info and hope it was an accidental shooting

Sometimes it amazes me that children are more accurate with guns than most adults. (even when it's an accident!)

ruh roh. I think we have two threads on this one.

ABC news reporting him as been unrulely on bus and school.... ugh.. let me find that link

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-boy-10-shoots-kills-mother/story?id=12529574

ABC

dang.. back in the good ole days of the 70s when i was a kid... all we had to be scared of was the BHS

now.. kids, old men, women, priests ,teachers, coaches., cops, judges...

well it was then too but.. i still think its worse now.. even thought MSM has had a hand in spreading the news..

ev ery race, creed, color, and relgion is messed up.. cuz EVERYTHING IS OK ..IT SEEMS AND THERE ARE NO GOOD LAWS..

This is dreadful! This is why there are laws to keep guns locked up.

ABC news reporting him as been unrulely on bus and school.... ugh.. let me find that link

Thanks for the link, Debbie. I wonder if these two times of being unruly were aberrations, or if his behavior has been unruly for years. If this behavior is recent, then I'd have to ask what changed in his life to cause him to start acting out at school and on the bus?

It sounds from this link as though the boy may have been acting in a threatening manner with the gun, because the article states the 15 year old sister ran out of the home before the shooting.

I also wonder if the gun belonged to the family, or if it is something that was brought into the home by the 10 year old.

On an "off" note: I am glad this child is not being tried as an adult. And I am sorry that his behavior escalated to the point of shooting his mom before anyone realized just how serious a problem his behavior had become.

Children with access to guns are dangerous!

Kids who have murder on their minds are dangerous, period.

Many children are around guns and they aren't dangerous because they never have the intent or mindset to become a murderer to begin with.

imo

This boy's mother has had a number of recent moves and there was a divorce and custody issues a few years back. My guess is that things were coming to a head for this child. The ages of 9-10 years (the age of reason) for boys are extremely challenging ones. This is when most mental illnesses are diagnosed. More psych evals are done in 4th and 5th grade than at any other time. A child's brain chemistry changes at that time.

I too am pleased that he's being tried as a child. He is a child, after all.

My prayers go out to the entire family, including the son. I have not much doubt that he truly doesn't realize the enormity of what he has just wrought. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he'd like to go home and see his mom.

this made the papers over here too

sad, he was tossed out of school for assaulting the principal when he was 7, this says.

now why does no one ever seem to see these warning signs and sort it out before it gets to this point?

I am wondering if he had a plan to kill his mother (like the boy in Wampum,PA) or was this in a rage, fit of anger??? impulsive? IIRC the youngster in Wampum was tried as an adult.

I taught Behaviorally/Emotionally disturbed children for a year back in 2000. We had 8 students and a padded room in the classroom because these children were violent and a threat to harm others. One wore cowboy boots each day and was placed in our class after stomping on his teachers feet with those darn boots. These kids were so angry that they just wanted to hurt somebody. They were very impulsive, but unlike most childish impulses, their impulses tended to be violent.

I thought of those students when I read about this boy shooting his mom. There is alot going on in this boy's mind. I wonder if the school had referred him to any kind of special services considering his history of violence in the school environment. If not, they dropped the ball, IMO.

It doesn't necessarily change the course of a violent child's life to receive these types of school services. One of my former student's is now serving a sentence for most of his adult life for raping beating and robbing a woman when he was 18. Damien was the cutest little dark brown boy with a funny humor and a little man voice. He also had issues with white people. He told me one day "I don't have to listen to no white teacher." I responded by "telling him that people are like m&m's, we are all different colors on the outside but on the inside we are all the same". His victim was a white woman. The DA said after the trial that even though he claimed remorse at the trial, they had him on camera joking and laughing about his crime and how he eluded police for awhile.

Is it possible that some people are born without a conscience?

Sorry for the personal story but this particular crime brought back a flood of memories for me. I still think and worry about those students from so long ago who taught me so much.

So sad that this young man killed his own mother. It is hard to understand. And MizzIzzy, I agree with you. I bet he wants his mother.

MOO

wm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304