GUILTY OR - Craig Ley for child sexual abuse, Beaverton, 2010

Missizzy

Reaction score
You send your child on a foreign exchange adventure and this happens. Shame on Mr. Ley. This is so tragic. If the abuse started early in the stay, it must have been the plan. Our family has had some fabulous experiences with foreign exchange students. For some students, it's the greatest thing. My heart goes out to this poor boy. In a strange country, not knowing where to turn, the shame and embarrassment. Five years isn't NEARLY enough time, IMO. Ley changed this teen's life forever.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton...ex_abuse_of_high_school_exchange_student.html

"A Beaverton [OR] man who sexually abused the high school exchange student he hosted last school year was sentenced Wednesday to five years in prison.

Craig Steven Ley, 51, facing five counts of first-degree and five counts of second-degree sex abuse, took a plea deal last month and pleaded guilty to four counts of second-degree sex abuse...."

and

"....The victim, a 16-year-old European boy, was living with Ley and attending a Beaverton school as a foreign exchange student when the abuse occurred. In June 2010, the boy reported months of abuse that began early in his stay with Ley...."

more at link

When you start checking things out, why do they always seem to get worse, rather than better? Seems that Mr. Ley was also a coach and had also hosted other students. Oh my.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Beaverton-lacrosse-coach-arrested-for-sexually-abusing-teen-96400804.html

"...Washington County [OR] Sheriff’s deputies said they think 50-year-old Craig Ley used his position as a father figure to take advantage of the 16-year-old starting in 2009. Police were notified after relatives of the victim came to visit. Investigators were also concerned there could be more victims, since this boy was not the first exchange student Ley has hosted. "Whether they're from local schools, the lacrosse league, or other exchange students, we're hoping somebody knows something and they can contact sheriff's detectives...."

and

"....Ley is a coach with the Beaverton Youth Lacrosse League. He also sits on the Board of Directors for Beaverton High School lacrosse...."

more at link

5 years is ridiculous! When is the justice system going to start treating these people like the predators they are? I am utterly disgusted with this puny sentence.

I did some poking around and it looks as if the boy spent the entire school year at Ley's home. It wasn't until family members arrived in June, that he disclosed. It breaks my heart that he didn't feel safe enough to disclose to a counselor at the school. I hope this situation is closely looked at as the personal safety and emotional needs of a 16 year old thousands of miles from his family are of utmost importance. I think the students should receive some sort of periodic therapy session just to check in. Homesickness, depression, anxiety, and culture shock are not small issues and these are children, after all. Maybe he did and just didn't feel safe but I want that safety measure in place.

Often times, family will arrive in June to see the student graduate with his/her class and often spend a little time traveling in the US. This boy's family must have been devastated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back